A-Z Of Bread | Page 2 | Vital Football

A-Z Of Bread

N NAAN - type of leavened, oven-baked flatbread. Popular in Asian and Caribbean cuisine. Also known as "nan" or "noon". Had naans many times in restaurants and pubs, and these days they are available in supermarkets too.

N NAAN - type of leavened, oven-baked flatbread. Popular in Asian and Caribbean cuisine. Also known as "nan" or "noon". Had naans many times in restaurants and pubs, and these days they are available in supermarkets too.
Yes, I buy them from Aldi and eat them with a curry every Saturday. I am a creature of habit and almost always make chicken and sweet potato vindaloo and chickpea and red lentils in coconut milk.

M MALT Loaf - love a slice (or two) of malt loaf with proper butter on it. It's, obviously, made with malt and has currents (raisins?) in it. My Mum used to make it. I never have.
Soreen malt loaf was a staple of my childhood. A slice with lots of butter and a cup of tea is wonderful.

O - Various types of Oat bread and Oatmeal bread. May have eaten without knowing. Recipes seem to vary. Have certainly eaten Aldi's Oat and Barley Loaf. Oat bread is quite common in Ireland so may well have eaten on holiday.

Last edited:
Another P which may be a bread or may be a cake is Parkin. Made with black treacle and oats everybody seemed to make it when I was a kid but I haven't seen it for many years.
P PITTA bread - type of flatbread which originated from the Mediterranean/ Middle East area. Readily available in supermakets and shops in the UK nowadays.
I have never mastered the knack of filling pitta. I cut them in half but when I try to open them they usually split.

Another P which may be a bread or may be a cake is Parkin. Made with black treacle and oats everybody seemed to make it when I was a kid but I haven't seen it for many years.

I have never mastered the knack of filling pitta. I cut them in half but when I try to open them they usually split.

You can usually buy Parkin around Bonfire Night in the supermarkets - not a patch on home made though - although, better than if it had been made in this home!

I'm with you with Pitta bread - put the lettuce in and it's full so all the rest of the filling ends up on the plate.

Never heard of "Harvo", but it sounds nice.

Is Ollie Rathbone related to the bakery people?
----------------------------------------------------

Alternative "S"... or SALLY LUNNS - these were large sweet breadcakes/teacakes. The ones from Davis mobile shop in Brinswoth in the 1960's used to have icing on them. They may have been a Brinsworth variant of the original recipe though, which sounds more like a bun.

Last edited:

Alternative "S"... or SALLY LUNNS - these were large sweet breadcakes/teacakes. The ones from Davis mobile shop in Brinswoth used to have icing on them. They may have been a Brinsworth variant of the original recipe though, which sounds more like a bun.
Sadly I don’t have her recipe.

Yes, a sweet bread mix with currants, the ones I’ve had always had white icing on the top too.

I think that the Davis' mobile van even sold full-loaf sized Sally Lunns.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

T TUROG BROWN BREAD - it was a wholemeal bread rival to Hovis. It used to be advertised on television in the 1960's. Quite liked it.

...or... TOAST - grilled slice of bread. Also title of a UK novelty hit single for Streetband (lead singer Paul Young) in 1978. I remember it, but never quite got it - was it a tie-in with an advert jingle, tv show theme tune, or something?

Last edited:

Alternative "S"... or SALLY LUNNS - these were large sweet breadcakes/teacakes. The ones from Davis mobile shop in Brinswoth in the 1960's used to have icing on them. They may have been a Brinsworth variant of the original recipe though, which sounds more like a bun.
What we called Sally Lunns when I was a lad were rolls with a sweet white icing on top. But as Mike says they actually seem to be a round bun without icing. Odd.

V VERE'S BREAD (?) - Seem to remember this from the 1960's, but can't find anything on the internet about it. Think it was produced somewhere in South Yorks, and it was advertised on the back of local bus tickets too. Think that the grocery shop where my Grandma lived in Eastwood sold Vere's bread.

Last edited: