A-Z Of Bread | Vital Football

A-Z Of Bread

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
This can be anything at all to do with bread - name of any bread product, anything you put on bread even how it's cooked or eaten!

A AISH merahrah - this is an Egyptian flatbread made with maize.

D - Damper. Australian bread traditionally cooked by stockmen in open fires. Not sure where the name comes from.

E ENGLISH Muffin - once went to a hotel in Leicestershire and on the breakfast menu it said 'English Muffin' - so I got my butter ready on the plate and was very disappointed when this 'big bun' with blueberries was placed in front of me. To me that's an American Muffin.

E ENGLISH Muffin - once went to a hotel in Leicestershire and on the breakfast menu it said 'English Muffin' - so I got my butter ready on the plate and was very disappointed when this 'big bun' with blueberries was placed in front of me. To me that's an American Muffin.
That's shocking, Caz. I doubt very much that the muffin man who lived down Drury Lane served them with blueberries!

That's shocking, Caz. I doubt very much that the muffin man who lived down Drury Lane served them with blueberries!

No, I'm sure he didn't Lindum! I did tell them it wasn't an English muffin to which she brought out the box to show me it said 'English Muffin' on it - doubly disappointed that it hadn't actually been made at the hotel!

... GARLIC bread - nice with a spicy chilli dish (Just eating some now!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOVIS - Bakery which was particularly known for wholelmeal brown bread. Also memorable for some much-parodied "old-fashioned northern town" tv adverts. The company later became part of Rank-Hovis-McDougall (RHM), which had a big flour mill on Canklow Road.

Last edited:
L - another I've eaten; Laverbread. (I always thought it was lavabread) Made from seaweed. Had it on holiday in Wales and Ireland. Not so keen on it as my wife is but it went down OK with a full fried breakfast and also bowls of chowder.

I have heard of it, but don't think that I have ever eaten any, or seen it on a menu.
--------------------------------------------------------------

...or... LOAF - item of bread, bigger than a roll, that is baked in one portion , then sliced. The term is used in Cockney rhyming slang. "Use your loaf" (loaf of bread) - use your head. ie think about it. Quite a while since I heard anybody use that phrase, although my Dad often used to say it, and he was born and bred in Rotherham.

Last edited: