A-Z Of Bread | Page 3 | Vital Football

A-Z Of Bread

Never heard of "Harvo", but it sounds nice.

Is Ollie Rathbone related to the bakery people?
----------------------------------------------------

Alternative "S"... or SALLY LUNNS - these were large sweet breadcakes/teacakes. The ones from Davis mobile shop in Brinswoth in the 1960's used to have icing on them. They may have been a Brinsworth variant of the original recipe though, which sounds more like a bun.

Love a sally lunn - they call them iced fingers now

V VERE'S BREAD (?) - Seem to remember this from the 1960's, but can't find anything on the internet about it. Think it was produced somewhere in South Yorks, and it was advertised on the back of local bus tickets too. Think that the grocery shop where my Grandma lived in Eastwood sold Vere's bread.
Doesn't ring any bells, Mike. If you find anything on it let us know. I drew a similar frustrating blank with the tropical fish shop in Rotherham. I worked there every Saturday so know it existed!

X -see below. Christopsomo - Greek Xmas bread, which contains dried fruit, walnuts , etc. First letter is actually "chi" in Greek. Been to Greece on holiday, but never had any- wrong time of the year!x.jpg

Last edited:
Z ZOPF - Swiss/Austrian/Germanan white loaf , made with milk, eggs and butter in the recipe. Usually made in a twisted /plaited shape and eaten at breakfast. Think I had it on holiday in the Tyrol.