A-Z Of Bands | Vital Football

A-Z Of Bands

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
Any band from any era! (I'm counting more than two people as a band unless we get stuck!)

A Amen Corner - remember Andy Fairweather Low on Top of the Pops hardly able to move as he had the biggest sleeves ever on his jacket!

Not sure which one they were named after, but I have been to Amen Corner in Newcastle and in Tooting. There are probably many more.
Additional - thought by some to be named after the street near St Pauls Cathedral in London (or possibly the 1955 novel of the same name)

B Beatles. Most famous pop group ever. Name of the band was a tribute to Buddy Holly's Crickets.

Last edited:
F Faust. German experimental band from early 1970s. Saw them at Sheffield City Hall. Most of the band members are still alive, making recordings and even playing live occasionally.

Last edited:
Saw Peter Gabriel era Genesis at Sheffield City Hall... and at the same venue, on a different night ...

H Hatfield and the North, who were an early-Soft Machine/Caravan Canterbury influenced band

Last edited:
I didn't know that about Genesis, Sixpence and Mike, I'm sorry I've not heard of your 'H'!

I INXS - Australian I think

J Jefferson Airplane/Jefferson Starship/(just) Starship.... I'm amazed that Radio Sheffield hasn't worn out the disc from the latter formation, especially with the stadium-rock often aired on the "Summer Sport" show, although they never play "White Rabbit" !

Last edited:
They do tend to get a record they like on Radio Sheffield and play it over and over and over and . . .

K Kinks - my cousin used to have a photo of Ray Davies on her bedside cabinet that she kissed before she went to bed each night!

M Man - Welsh rock band. Saw them several times. Fairly well known as a live act, but never achieved much commercial success

N Nevada - folk rock band. Annie Haslam was (is) the lead singer who I think I've seen at a folk festival in the distant past

Seen Annie Haslam singing many years ago when she was in Renaissance

O Most obviously , A Band called "O", (there is YouTube footage of them on the Whistle Test)
or the much better-known Oasis,
or Scottish Indie band, Orange Juice

Last edited:
T Talking Heads - US New Wave band. Got their first single when it came out... Slightly unusual title "Love => building on fire". Their main singer/songwriter David Byrne was born in Dumbarton.

Last edited: