A-Z Of Autum | Vital Football

A-Z Of Autum

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
It's that time of year so let's give this one a go - not sure how far we will get though!

A Acorns - start appearing on the trees

C - Conkers - from the horsechestnut tree. My granddaughters (and my son!!) still love to play conkers.

They disrupt our drains too - we have to remember, at this time of the year, to put something over to stop them going down.

G Gourds - grow around this time of the year. (Not keen to be honest on things like this).

I remember being frightened one bonfire night when I was young by a Jumping Jack that flew round the garden near me.

K Kicking Leaves that have fallen

...or Kinks song, Autumn Almanac (60s pop classic)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
L - Lanterns on Halloween or Bonfire night. Traditionally carved out of a pumpkin. Never saw pumpkins on sale in in Brinsworth , so had to improvise - turnip, old football, etc, - to make a "Jack O'Lantern"

Last edited:
N November - one of the main Autumn months.... as described in the poem "No!" by Thomas Hood, which I remember from junior school.

I didn't know that poem and just looked it up. Not very positive was he!

O Orchards - full of apples and pears in Autumn

Thomas Hood was generally a humorous writer, so the "No!" (vember) poem may not have been meant to be taken 100% seriously!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P Parkin - Spicy oatmeal-and-ginger based cake treat for Bonfire Night in Yorkshire and the north. It's origins go back to before the Gunpowder Plot, and is known to have been associated with All Saints Day for a long time, and possibly Equinox related festivities way before that.

Plus... I like eating it! (y)

Last edited:
Love proper Parkin - the one that's been left for a few days to go sticky.

Q Quince Jam - made in the autumn I believe

S - September - one of the main Autumn months
... or sweet chestnuts (Roast or boiled). Not many fallen off the trees yet- still a bit early for them
and... "Spooky" by Dusty Springfield as musical accompaniment to any Halloween party! (Probably not this year though)

Last edited: