A-Z Of Autum | Page 2 | Vital Football

A-Z Of Autum

Yes, it's been a bit blustery today...

X X-rays - First produced and detected in a laboratory in Autumn 1895 (8th November) by engineer/physicist Wilhelm Rontgen. He was later awarded the Nobel prize in physics .

Last edited:
Well done for getting an X!

Y Yellow - from the leaves, the flowers to the Moon which always looks bright yellow to me in autumn

Just remembered that the yellow pignents seen in autumn leaves are an "X" - xanthophylls. (The green chlorophyll pigments degrade at a faster rate) . We did an experiment at school to extract chlorophyll and xanthophyll from plant leaves-so I missed a sitter there! ;)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Z Zzzzzzzzz... - As Autumn gets near it's end some animals go into hibernation. In Britain , of our native mammals, only a few do it though - hedgehogs, dormice and some species of bats. Squirrrels don't actually hibernate, but they drastically reduce their activity to save energy, so you probably won't see them for a few months... although do squirrels actually do all that much anyway? :p

Last edited:
Wow, Mike, I've no chance of remembering anything I learned in school!

We've had a squirrel (well, I presume it's the same one) jumping in and out of our lilac tree in the garden for a few weeks, although I don't think I've caught him/her this week.

So another A-Z finished! We have done well and you can give yourselves a pat on the back!

Thanks to everyone for joining in!