A-Z Of Alcohol | Vital Football

A-Z Of Alcohol

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
Anything at all that is alcoholic or that you can add alcohol too!

A Absinthe - it was once banned because it contains a toxic chemical. I don't think I've ever had any but I have smelt it and it's aniseedy.

Vincent Van Gogh allegedly used to drink a fair amount of absinthe. Some commentators have tributed his erratic behaviour to that, although it may have also inspired his painting style! Pernod was developed as a safer alternative to absinthe, without some of the original natural terpenes in it that are thought to be toxic (eg thujone from wormwood). Never seen absinthe on sale (and it was banned in many countries) , but I have drunk Pernod occasionally, although not recently. I quite like aniseed, but wouldn't drink that type of liqueur normally. Would drink a shot of absinthe if offered one though, just to check what it tasted like.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B Beer - Best Bitter for example, or Brown Ale. Rotherham's Chantry Brewery produces some good examples of a range of beer styles. They are planning to open a bar in the brewery, once the Covid problems are over. (y)

Last edited:
The other half has been getting deliveries from Chantry Brewery for over a year now. They aren't for me though.

C Cuba Libre - I do like dark rum but this is usually made with a lighter rum (though not white rum) and I have partaken in a few in my time, though not for a while.

I'd be rubbish on quiz shows!!!

E Egg Nog - a Christmas drink, though as it has nutmeg sprinkled on it I won't be having any.

F Fursty Ferret beer - from the Badger Brewery . Bottled version usually available in Tesco. On special offer at four for £6 at the moment. Refreshing taste.

H Harvey Wall Banger - basically orange juice and vodka. Not sure what it has in it to make it into a Harvey Wall Banger.

Though my niece likes Hot Chocolate with Brandy in

Love Irish coffee - love whiskey though not Jamesons

L Long Island Tea - has gin, bacardi, tequila, cointreau, lemon juice and cola in it - not one I like.

Also

Lambrini - didn't we think we were 'it' when we bought our first bottle of lambrini instead of the big plastic bottles of cider! Not had any for years, though my friend still likes it.

M Maguerita cocktail - tequila, cointreau, lime juice. salt, ice, slice of lime . Not had one recently.
Celebrated by Status Quo in their hit single "Marguerita time"

O Oranjeboom - Dutch lager. Only ever had their "Premium", which is a typical Pilsner type (5% alcohol), but they brew various other beers/lagers too. Quite good as lagers go. Originally brewed in Rotterdam, but that brewery has been closed down and production transferred elsewhere. Never seen any of their other beers on sale in Britain.

Last edited:
Q Quentao - Brazilian mulled wine, flavoured with cloves , cinnamon , ginger, citrus peel. Usually associated with particular fesitval days. Served hot (name means "big hot one"). Never had it, or been to Brazil.

...or Sloe gin . Made some in Autumn 2019 using sloe berries picked near Thorpe Hesley. Turned out quite well too.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
T Timothy Taylor beers - From their brewery at Keighley : Landlord, Boltmaker, Knowle Spring, Dark, etc.
They have won many awards (y)

Last edited: