A-Z Of Alcohol | Page 2 | Vital Football

A-Z Of Alcohol

A friend made me a bottle of sloe gin some years ago and I still have some left. It get's better with age, more like a liqueur

U Usquaebach Old-Rare Whisky - the one they try to sell you when you go on the Edinburgh Whisky trail that is about £150 a bottle! You'll be surprised to know we didn't buy any and haven't tasted it!

V - Vermouth - used to drink dry Martini and lemonade but last time I asked for it (in a ‘posh’ restaurant) I was told it was years since they had been asked for that!!

I have some in my drinks cupboard, Sixpence. I dread to think how long it's been there. I don't like it.

W Whisky or Whiskey. A drink I was given in my bottle apparently as a baby!!! At the moment I'm drinking the one in the blue square bottle Haig. But a Scotsman once told me that he drinks the one with the 'wee birdie' on so I also drink Famous Grouse. Don't like the smokey ones.

X XB (pale ale) and XXXB (strong ale) - real ales from Bateman's brewery in Lincolnshire. They brew a range of other beers too, including seasonal specials like Rosey Nosey Xmas ale. Bottled version of XXXB is fairly easy to find in supermarkets. (y)

Last edited:
Z Zywiec - Polish Pilsner-type lager. A classic of it's type and quite easy to find in British supermarkets. The Zywiec brewery also brews a porter, which is good too . Drunk the porter it in Poland ( and it seems to be quite popular over there) , but not seen it on sale in the UK.(y)

Last edited:
Well that's another one we've finished - very good on our alcohol aren't we! (I blame it on being a Miller!!!)

Another one on the way!