82/83 Comparisons | Page 15 | Vital Football

82/83 Comparisons

Did many Imps fans travel to London Road in those early 1970’s fixtures that are mentioned here? If so how many appropriately? 🤔

Did many Imps fans travel to London Road in those early 1970’s fixtures that are mentioned here? If so how many appropriately? 🤔

I went to that 4-4 in 1972 but it's hard to say as I wasn't even a teenager back then.

I don't recall that there would have been any obvious segregation. I do remember that we stood on the side which is opposite the main stand (where their cameras are now) and I'm pretty sure that was an open terrace like Sincil Bank.

I went to that 4-4 in 1972 but it's hard to say as I wasn't even a teenager back then.

I don't recall that there would have been any obvious segregation. I do remember that we stood on the side which is opposite the main stand (where their cameras are now) and I'm pretty sure that was an open terrace like Sincil Bank.

Glebe Road as it was called back then and, yes it was a terrace just like at Sincil Bank.

I was at the games at London Road on:

13 Sept 1969 (first visit)
6 March 1971
12 Feb 1972
30 Sept 1972

But have no recollection of how many travelling supporters were at any of them.

For the 4-4 draw I remember being at the same end behind the goal as where we were accommodated at the match last season. Other times, I remember once in the late 70s/early 80s watching from the terracing in front of the main stand, otherwise can't remember - although I don't recollect ever going on the open bank at the side.

Gameweek 42:

38 years ago The Imps made the long journey down to Dean Court in Boscombe, home of AFC Bournemouth. Harry Redknapp had more than steadied the ship for The Cherries and was after revenge for the 9-0 massacre back in December.

The majority of the 5,010 crowd went home happy with a narrow 1-0 victory that virtually put an end to any outside hopes of promotion for the Imps, after having looked odds on favourites halfway through the season.

Budgets back then weren't as diverse as they are in 2021, and with 5 games to go The Imps ran Champions elect and big spending (wages wise) Hull City close for the 3rd time this season. It was only a rush of blood from the otherwise steady Regan Poole, who fouled Tom Eaves inside the box late on, that resulted in the Tigers taking the spoils.

Next up for the Imps a home game against Oxford Utd, who lied just behind them in 7th place. Big Apple's Imps travel to Shropshire knowing a couple of wins from their remaining 4 games will guarantee a much coveted Play-off slot amongst much bigger clubs with budgets (that word again) that dwarf ours.

42.jpg

I got told off for saying dull had spent money on Wilks and Magennis, both frees apparently, bet they're on good wages and they definitely paid a fee for Eaves.
O well onto Tuesday.

I got told off for saying dull had spent money on Wilks and Magennis, both frees apparently, bet they're on good wages and they definitely paid a fee for Eaves.
O well onto Tuesday.

Magennis almost certainly due to Bolton's woes, but Wilks as a free I would question as they had him on loan there only a few months after Barnsley paid Donny for him. Can't see Barnsley just letting him go for nowt

Gameweek 43:

In City's penultimate home game of the season, Jim Smith's Oxford were the visitors, who was in the early stages of creating a very good side at the Manor Ground. Sadly the attendance dipped below 3k and saw a pretty uninspiring 1-1 draw, with the Imps goal being an 'oggy'.

Looking back, it wasn't the Board that didn't want promotion to the 2nd Tier for the first time in 23 years, it was the Lincoln public. That was also probably the reason Graham Taylor left for Watford too, as attendances dropped dramatically in the 76/77 season.

Thankfully in 2021 the Lincolnites, Lincolnians or inhabitants of Lindum Colonia (take your pick) have much greater interest in the goings on in LN5. Their 13th away victory of the season, a club record, was achieved with relative ease at The New Meadow, Shrewsbury.

Star player Jorge Grant headed an 11th winner after a pinpoint cross from Liam Bridcutt, both of whom will play key role in The Imps quest to achieve the Impossible Dream.

43.jpg

Could be that the fans had given up on promotion as back then there were no playoffs to keep people interested.
I think it was one of the reasons why they were introduced to keep people's interest up until the end of the season at more teams.
Although apathy is famous in Lincolnshire lol!

Would be typical Lincoln to miss out in 82/83 because there were no playoffs, and miss out this year because there are playoffs.
And to miss out because the season isn't curtailed on ppg with us sitting in third like a certain very lucky club last season.

Gameweek 44:

38 years ago The Imps penultimate away fixture was a tricky looking tie at Deepdale, Preston who had only suffered 2 defeats at home during the season. Alan Gowling scored the winner in front of a healthy 6,503, in a season that promised so much but petered out in pretty dismal fashion.

The contrast couldn't have been greater almost 4 decades later, as The Imps raced to a 3-0 lead inside an hour against fellow promotion hopefuls and local rivals Peterborough United. In what would have been undoubted capacity of over 15k including at least 4,000 Imps, a thrilling game was played behind closed doors, despite several hundred in the streets outside letting off fireworks.

Unfortunately the game will be remembered for the most disgraceful refereeing decision in the 96th minute, when a certain Mr J Busby of Oxfordshire inexplicably gifted Posh promotion with a last minute equaliser for Jonson Clarke-Harris.

There were however plenty of positives to be taken from this match despite this miscarriage of justice, as Lincoln City FC confirmed a 3rd Tier Play-Off slot as 76 points have been achieved, 6 pts more than Murphy's boys with 2 games to go.

44.jpg

Gameweek 45:

The final away game of the 82/83 season was the short trip to Sheffield to face the improving Blades under Manager Ian Porterfield. 11,842 were in attendance at Bramall Lane including 500 or so Imps fans, who saw their team put in a good display and a first away win since New Years Day, thanks to a goal from Glenn Cockerill.

The Imps remained in 7th place, 8 pts behind 3rd placed Huddersfield with a final home game with Gillingham to come.

38 years later, and with a coveted play-off position assured, Michael Appleton rested several key players for the trip to The Valley, home of Charlton Athletic. This is one ground I've never been to, as when The Imps played The Addicks in the League Cup back in 1986 the game was played at Selhurst Park, who they were sharing temporarily with hosts Crystal Palace.

Forward 23 years and a slightly disappointing 1-3 defeat was the result, with Harry Anderson netting a late consolation. This was against a robust and physical home side managed by Nigel Adkins, although missed chances by young Callum Morton in particular meant the final score was somewhat flattering. The Imps are guaranteed 5th place however with a semi final against either Blackpool or Sunderland.

45.jpg

Last edited: