82/83 Comparisons | Page 13 | Vital Football

82/83 Comparisons

Gary Strodder, then only 17; another who went on to have a decent long football career after leaving City.

1982–1987 Lincoln City, 132 (6)
1987–1990 West Ham United, 65 (2)
1990–1995 West Bromwich Albion 140 (8)
1995–1999Notts County 121 (10)

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles...-made-ex-hammer-gary-strodder-swapping-fourth

“On Tuesday, I was playing in front of 1,196 people against Torquay United at Sincil Bank and, just four days later, I was sitting in the Away dressing room at Chelsea waiting to make my West Ham debut at Stamford Bridge."

“If I’m totally honest, I’ve fallen out of love with the game a bit, but I still follow all my old teams!”

And we gained circa £100,000, not bad in 1987.
And a lot of people didn’t rate him.
But I think he had the last laugh with that career.

Gameweek 35:

Back in 83' the seemingly faltering Imps welcomed a Chesterfield side to Sincil Bank, who were plummeting down the table, which would ultimately end in relegation for them.

New signing on loan from Bolton, Chris Thompson made his debut in midfield as Cockerill was still injured. Phil Turner was back though as City won with relative ease.

The Central TV cameras were present, with host Gary Newbon and the legendary Jimmy Greaves in the studio. Both were relatively complimentary, especially Jim who mentioned the goals from Bell, Hobson, and Cockerill all being in double figures.

4,454 were inside Sincil Bank, some 800 up on the previous home game, and were rewarded with 2 goals from George Shipley. He netted for the first time in the league since New Years Day, some 13 matches ago although his performances had been decent overall.

Portsmouth, Cardiff both lost this weekend and 3rd place Huddersfield could only draw so The Imps were right back in contention as a result of this victory. 3 pts behind the 2nd placed Bluebirds with a game in hand, with a much better goal difference. What could possibly go wrong against Newport County? I mean they had that awful ex-Imp Tommy 'Taxi' Tynan up top, and we had captain supreme Trevor Peake? :hmmm:

38 years on, the less said about a 0-3 home defeat to Steve Evans Gillingham the better, with an away trip to a rejuvenated Sunderland up next, without key players Walsh, Grant, Anderson and Hopper available .... gulp :surrender:

35.jpg

Gary Strodder, then only 17; another who went on to have a decent long football career after leaving City.

1982–1987 Lincoln City, 132 (6)
1987–1990 West Ham United, 65 (2)
1990–1995 West Bromwich Albion 140 (8)
1995–1999Notts County 121 (10)

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles...-made-ex-hammer-gary-strodder-swapping-fourth

“On Tuesday, I was playing in front of 1,196 people against Torquay United at Sincil Bank and, just four days later, I was sitting in the Away dressing room at Chelsea waiting to make my West Ham debut at Stamford Bridge."

“If I’m totally honest, I’ve fallen out of love with the game a bit, but I still follow all my old teams!”

And we gained circa £100,000, not bad in 1987.

£K 100 was a decent sum of money back then.

However we replaced Strodder with Glenn Humphries and Derek Hood and got relegated to the GMVC.

Not sure it was the best business deal we ever did.

Derek Hood, I'd forgotten about him H .... had him in my all-time worst X1 for decades.

Definitely the worst player I saw, at least until Paul Robson.

When I say this I always point out in Derek's defence that he had been a decent player for York, but was totally over the hill when he joined us.

Gameweek 36:

Following the win against The Spireites, a healthy 4,742 turned up to see The Imps face a Newport side with 4 wins on the bounce.

Injuries to David Carr, Glenn Cockerill and Gordon Hobson resulted in a debut for new signing Ernie Moss from Port Vale. Sadly we were trounced 1-4 as Tommy Tynan & Steve Lowndes ran amok up front for the Welshmen, and City were booed off at the end.

2 very difficult fixtures away to Promotion rivals Cardiff City and Huddersfield awaited and the dream of playing Tier 2 football for the first time in 22 years was beginning to slip away.

Fast forward 38 years, and a well earned point by The Imps, inspired by the returning Liam Bridcutt away at in form Sunderland, has given Imps fans hope that the Play-offs are still very much a realistic proposition.

36.jpg

Gameweek 37:

3 days after the trouncing by Newport County, The Imps made the long trip down to South Wales to play 3rd placed Cardiff City. The Bluebirds had only lost 1 game at Ninian Park all season and that was on the opening day v Wrexham, so an injury hit Imps were definitely up against it.

A partisan 8,021 crowd saw much vaunted defender Gary Bennett head a 2nd half winner which saw The Imps slip to 6th. Next up was an equally difficult looking away trip to Huddersfield Town in an Easter Saturday fixture.

Sadly 38 years later, an Imps side hit by Covid and injuries to key players, lost 1-2 away at Play-Off chasing Oxford Utd, despite going ahead inside 4 mins through Anthony Scully.

Both generations were now on 62 pts from 37 games played, both 8 pts behind the leaders. :oops:

37.jpg

Gameweek 38

My first ever visit to Leeds Road, Huddersfield on one of the 2 Away Travel coaches with my Dad, we sampled Doreen's cheese & onion baps that were to become legendary fayre for those that tasted them.

13,028 was the attendance and I remember being slightly in awe of the huge terrace to our right. Was it twice the size of our own West-Bank I wondered, as the roof certainly helped the acoustics?

The Imps side was as follows: Felgate, Simmonite, Neale, Cockerill, Peake, Brazier, Thompson C, Turner, Hobson, Bell, Shipley. (sub Moss). Midway through the first half a superb through ball by Glenn saw Hobbo beat the offside trap and round keeper Brian Cox to slot home. 500 or so Imps on the open terrace went mad in celebration in this vital 6 pointer promotion clash.

Lincoln held on in the 2nd half with relative ease, until a Dave Cowling cross was headed goalwards by defender Dave Sutton. Gordon Simmonite on the post cleared off the line, or so we thought, but the linesman indicated the ball had crossed the line, much to our disbelief ... and we had to settle for a point.

Almost 4 decades later, a spirited Imps comeback with 2 goals in the last 15 mins rescued a valuable and confidence building point against an in form Blackpool side. With 8 games to go both Lincoln City sides stand in 6th place with 63pts from 38 games, with everything left to play for.

38.jpg