75/76 Similarities? ?⚪️ | Page 2 | Vital Football

75/76 Similarities? ?⚪️

It looks really good doesn't it but we've still got all the 'levellers' to tackle ... the wind, the rain, the hard bobbly pitches, the refs looking to make a name for themselves, etc. Danny considers all this in his recruitment but we still have to prove the 'levellers' aren't.

Just a really good start with every reason to be optimistic is all I'll conclude for now.
There's only one way of life and that's your own.

My recollection of 75/76 is that expectations were high following the very near miss the previous season. The first game reverse at Newport came as a bit of a shock and you could argue it brought us back to reality.
The home record of 21-2-0 I doubt will ever be threatened. We went to home games not just expecting to win, but a matter of how many by. The only close call was v Tranmere, 2-2, on a Friday night, they whacked it into their own net to save our undefeated home record. They deserved to win it. Confidence then as today was very high , and I think Danny could well achieve his target of promotion, and dare I say it at this very early stage, as champions. Heres hoping for a repeat of the great GT's achievement ! It has all the makings. UTI.

I a
Your figures aren't quite right - obviously we have not lost away this season.

The biggest difference is goals conceded.

We started 1982-83 better than 1975-76, but those of us who were there will not forget how wrong that went.
I put the post Xmas collapse down to it being the end of a remarkable 2 or three year cycle under Colin.
In 75/76 the club were mid cycle from the almost year just before, and carried this on to doc 3 the following year but then of course puttered out.

I think that the title of the thread threw me, thought it was a bit odd !
Never a fan of Murphy's style of footi , apart from when he got us back into the League. !
I'm not agreeing with you there, any team with Cockerill, Hobson, Shipley in it was good to watch. Don't believe all Malcolm McDonalds hype

We had 14 players in 82/83, two of which were goalkeepers.
Did add Simmonite but he wanted to Thomas and Jack but Blades wouldn't let him I believe?
Also Blades wanted to cut the bonuses as has been mentioned even though the crowds were up on the season before.
All went very Pete Tong in February from memory as I remember going to the Brentford game in March and Blades had gone by then,

here is an extract from Phil Neale's book 'A Double Life' about that season.
We started the next season like an express train, hammering everyone in sight, but we couldnt maintain it. We simply ran out of steam, after going 5 points clear with 3 games in hand at the turn of the year. The same team had played for almost the entire season up til then, and most of us were carrying injuries. We started to lose games at home and the crowd got on to us. Colin Murphy ran into trouble with the directors as he looked for cash to buy new players, but he was frustrated by the attitude of the board. Most of the city was firmly behind Murphy, and relations between fans and directors were poisonous on match days....supporters threw things at the directors as they left their seats and chairman Gilbert Blades suffered abuse at home. It was all very nasty.

I'm not agreeing with you there, any team with Cockerill, Hobson, Shipley in it was good to watch. Don't believe all Malcolm McDonalds hype

Not to mention Thomo and our Lord Trevor Peake the most cultured centre half to pull on the red and white stripes.

Last edited: