75/76 Similarities? ?⚪️ | Vital Football

75/76 Similarities? ?⚪️

Norfolk Imp

Vital 1st Team Regular
Similarities?

So, we are 3 pts better off relatively speaking than we were 43 years ago and this is the first time since then that I feel we have a squad capable of emulating Taylor’s record breakers.

I say squad because back then we only had about 15 players compared to 25 today, plus we were pretty much full strength against Stoke in the League Cup, unlike v Rovers recently.

Your thoughts, as attendances are 8,500+ already, which was the season’s average back then? Is a repeat Div 4 title on the cards? ?

Attachments

• BE5189A0-439B-4C0D-9AF2-1536F1930F40.jpeg
    BE5189A0-439B-4C0D-9AF2-1536F1930F40.jpeg
    407 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Your figures aren't quite right - obviously we have not lost away this season.

The biggest difference is goals conceded.

We started 1982-83 better than 1975-76, but those of us who were there will not forget how wrong that went.

I say squad because back then we only had about 15 players compared to 25 today, plus we were pretty much full strength against Stoke in the League Cup, unlike v Rovers recently.

Of course in those days there was only one player on the subs' bench so there was less requirement for a larger squad.

Stoke were pretty much full strength too, so that's also unlike Blackburn recently.

We started 1982-83 better than 1975-76, but those of us who were there will not forget how wrong that went.

Yes but that season we were a shoestring team as the board wouldn't give Murph the resources he needed. This season Danny has the full backing of the board and the resources to boot. I have a feeling this season has the potential to be another 75-76 type history making season!

Yes but that season we were a shoestring team as the board wouldn't give Murph the resources he needed. This season Danny has the full backing of the board and the resources to boot. I have a feeling this season has the potential to be another 75-76 type history making season!

That is right, but too much emphasis is placed on it. As has been said already, clubs generally had much smaller squads in those days, not just Lincoln. I don't remember Murphy being unhappy with the size of his squad at the start of that season.

That is right, but too much emphasis is placed on it. As has been said already, clubs generally had much smaller squads in those days, not just Lincoln. I don't remember Murphy being unhappy with the size of his squad at the start of that season.

I remember watching a programme called TV Eye and they did an article on Lincoln City being clear at the top of the league and they called us the shoestring team because we had so few players even by the standards of the day.

111 league goals scored that season and if my maths is right the equivalent points will be 106.

The squad we have today is excellent but I doubt we will hit those figures come May. Would be delighted to be proven wrong

I think the standard and style of play exhibited at times is similar to Murphs . Who is who in pic by the way? Is Norfolk Imp the attractive brunette or the bloke in the beard?

I think the standard and style of play exhibited at times is similar to Murphs . Who is who in pic by the way? Is Norfolk Imp the attractive brunette or the bloke in the beard?

Some on here may think the 'bloke with the beard' is attractive !!

You did meet her briefly early last summer OG ? .... ignore the Kenny Everett lookalike ?

I remember watching a programme called TV Eye and they did an article on Lincoln City being clear at the top of the league and they called us the shoestring team because we had so few players even by the standards of the day.

Yes I remember this, the cameras we there at SB for the 5-1 win v Donny complaining about the 4,500 attendance .... can we still blame Thatcher for the nationwide decline in gates? ?

Yes but that season we were a shoestring team as the board wouldn't give Murph the resources he needed.

It was the era of small squads, Aston Villa won the European Cup in ‘82 utilising only 13 players.

I don’t recall the Murph being disgruntled about the size of the squad, it all went Pete Tong when Gilbert Blades wouldn’t pay the win bonuses.

Last edited:
It looks really good doesn't it but we've still got all the 'levellers' to tackle ... the wind, the rain, the hard bobbly pitches, the refs looking to make a name for themselves, etc. Danny considers all this in his recruitment but we still have to prove the 'levellers' aren't.

Just a really good start with every reason to be optimistic is all I'll conclude for now.

My recollection of 75/76 is that expectations were high following the very near miss the previous season. The first game reverse at Newport came as a bit of a shock and you could argue it brought us back to reality.
The home record of 21-2-0 I doubt will ever be threatened. We went to home games not just expecting to win, but a matter of how many by. The only close call was v Tranmere, 2-2, on a Friday night, they whacked it into their own net to save our undefeated home record. They deserved to win it. Confidence then as today was very high , and I think Danny could well achieve his target of promotion, and dare I say it at this very early stage, as champions. Heres hoping for a repeat of the great GT's achievement ! It has all the makings. UTI.

??? We won that one 5-0 in front of 14,000.

I think Norfolk was referring to the match covered by cameras during Murph's first stint 82 or 83 not the 5-0 thumping we gave Donny Easter 76. The later was my second only game seeing City live after going to the Stockport game the previous day. I can still remember Dave Smith's thunderbolt like it was yesterday