5 Substitutes - What will be the impact? | Page 3 | Vital Football

5 Substitutes - What will be the impact?

A lot of sports use time stoppage. It eliminates stuff like Fergie time. But it would mean stopping for fouls as well.
It wouldn't mean stopping for fouls. The referees have a clear set of guidelines about when they should add on time. Fouls isn't one of them unless the player is feigning injury or taking an uneccesarily long time to resume. The clock doesn't stop just because play stops. It's only for specific situations, mainly timewasting, and they're the things we want to see eliminated from the game. Or at least I do.

But I'm only suggesting the ref stops the clock for the reasons for which he/she currently has to add on time for anyway (according to the rules). This includes things like timewasting at free kicks, throw ins, feigning injury etc.. And I think if the referee is seen to be enforcing these rules the time wasting will stop anyway. The only 'overrun' will be the time that should legitimately be added on by the ref.

How do you stop the clock for time wasting? It's already happened at the point it's penalized. And for free kicks, what about taking quick free kicks? Like in rugby?

Fouls. Subs. Goals until the restart would work.

But I'm only suggesting the ref stops the clock for the reasons for which he/she currently has to add on time for anyway (according to the rules). This includes things like timewasting at free kicks, throw ins, feigning injury etc.. And I think if the referee is seen to be enforcing these rules the time wasting will stop anyway. The only 'overrun' will be the time that should legitimately be added on by the ref.
Yes but do they currently add on the full amount of wasted time? I don't think so, not by a longshot in some games. Would they be more inclined to stop the clock religiously if the system was introduced for fear of the press or others running their own stoppages clocks to compare?

Yes but do they currently add on the full amount of wasted time? I don't think so, not by a longshot in some games. Would they be more inclined to stop the clock religiously if the system was introduced for fear of the press or others running their own stoppages clocks to compare?
That's part of the problem, and why timewasting is so prevalent, is because referees don't add on anyhting like the time lost.

I don't see the media side of it being an issue. There can only be one arbiter and that's the referee. Everyone argues about the amount of time being added on - too much or too little - so it wouldn't be a new problem.

We would also have transparency and the players would have nothing to gain particularly with eyes of the football world (and clock) peering at them.

It wouldn't mean stopping for fouls. The referees have a clear set of guidelines about when they should add on time. Fouls isn't one of them unless the player is feigning injury or taking an uneccesarily long time to resume. The clock doesn't stop just because play stops. It's only for specific situations, mainly timewasting, and they're the things we want to see eliminated from the game. Or at least I do.
The best suggestion I've seen is adopt the rugby system of stopping the clock when the ball is not in play, but only play 30 minutes per half. This equates to roughly how much playing time we get now.

How long is this 5 sub thing going to be in place. ? If its permanent it could influence signings. Players who perhaps are more effective as subs might be in demand ?

Supposedly, it's a temporary measure because of the impending World Cup (which I will not be watching), as some players could easily have been plying 70+ games given all these competitions..

Player union demanded action as so many of their players were monitored and are playing and have been played in the red zone; under Poch we were one of the PL's biggest culprits and that did continue after, Kane for example spent the last 3 season 50% of the time in the red zone.

Something had to change., it's destroyed some players careers through injury and loss of form..

Supposedly, it's a temporary measure because of the impending World Cup (which I will not be watching), as some players could easily have been plying 70+ games given all these competitions..

Player union demanded action as so many of their players were monitored and are playing and have been played in the red zone; under Poch we were one of the PL's biggest culprits and that did continue after, Kane for example spent the last 3 season 50% of the time in the red zone.

Something had to change., it's destroyed some players careers through injury and loss of form..

But we have it forced down our throats that Kane is taking it easy.

As I have said prior, as many others have, its got to be as in Rugby stop the bloody clock every time the ball isn't in play.

Plus another good idea from muttley, 4th official to do the time keeping, stopping clock etc, then whisper in the on fields refs ear, blow the half time or final whistle.

LT suggested 30min halves, well with regular clock stopping we would get 45min halves, seems feasible.

You'll be watching the World Cup lol I don't believe and football fan will not be watching it regardless of what they think about it all.

How much of being in red zone was due to fixture congestion or was the main culprit how football in the past 10 years moved to so many teams playing a full pitch press for 90mins?