5 Substitutes - What will be the impact? | Vital Football

5 Substitutes - What will be the impact?

D

Departed

Pros:

1) High intesity tactics can be sustained at a higher 90 minute level
2) Tactics can be changed more dramatically
3) Better player fatigue management
4) More playing time for squad players
5) Easier to pull a player with a yellow card

Cons:

1) Fitness will be less of an advantage
2) Deeper/wealthier teams will have an added advantage

Will we move into an environment of starters and finishers?

We will see a lot of very tactical responses to it, that is for sure, but it without a doubt gives an advantage to richer teams. I think that is the biggest reason for why it shouldn't be a thing, but I do appreciate it is in response to fitness issues.

Do we for one second think Brentford will have the depth to compete with Liverpool though? Liverpool could replace Firmino with Jota and see little negative impact whilst if Brentford sub Toney, who do they have? It is the same story through the team. Managers will have players they trust, but sub quality will always favour the richer teams.

Guaranteed Klopp will complain the loudest about something though.

I still think the real results of the 5 sub change won't fully be seen this season because of the WC break, but a normal season I think we may see the gap between the richer teams and the teams below get bigger.

I think it changes the composition of the squad, but only slightly.

You start with the best eleven for the game knowing you can freshen up the engine room, you can replace the wingbacks and you can put some different attacking talent on.

However, there is now a second option where you might even change your tactics and formation more frequently than before. Chasing games might mean taking a centre half off and putting on an attack minded player. That is especially if you push guys like Romero and our new left footed centre half (or Davies) into a back four. Defending leads might just mean moving to a 3-5-2 and taking a wide attacker off.

Personally, I think managers should only be able to make one sub after the 90 min mark and only for an injury.

How do you think it is going to impact how players are rated? Surely being a finisher will become a type of player.

It will change my assessment a little. I judge mostly by content. The number of good and bad moments of play. If a sub comes on and contributes more to the outcome but over less time I'm going to have to consider it. I'll have to think about the ratings more while not being biased aswell. !!

Perhaps the 5 subs won't be utilised as widely as is being anticipated?

When they were available during Project Restart only 6 teams used their 5 subs for more than half of the games available.

Below is a breakdown of how each team used their 5 subs.

Interestingly, we, under Mourhino, didn't use our full allocation once. And Mourinho was renowned as a manager who used to make full use of his subs.

There were 9 Premier League matches played under Project Restart.

Number of times a team used 5 subs

1) Brighton and Hove Albion - 8
2) Liverpool - 7
3) Bournemouth, Norwich City - 6
4) Manchester United, Arsenal - 5
5) Manchester City, Newcastle United, Everton - 4
6) Leicester City - 3
7) Chelsea - 2
8) Wolves, Southampton, West Ham, Aston Villa, Watford - 1
9) Tottenham Hotspur, Sheffield United, Burnley, Crystal Palace - 0

It will change my assessment a little. I judge mostly by content. The number of good and bad moments of play. If a sub comes on and contributes more to the outcome but over less time I'm going to have to consider it. I'll have to think about the ratings more while not being biased aswell. !!

It's going to be interesting, Bergwijn was a natural game finisher but with opponents having options as well will those types of players have as much impact?

Perhaps the 5 subs won't be utilised as widely as is being anticipated?

When they were available during Project Restart only 6 teams used their 5 subs for more than half of the games available.

Below is a breakdown of how each team used their 5 subs.

Interestingly, we, under Mourhino, didn't use our full allocation once. And Mourinho was renowned as a manager who used to make full use of his subs.

There were 9 Premier League matches played under Project Restart.

Number of times a team used 5 subs

1) Brighton and Hove Albion - 8
2) Liverpool - 7
3) Bournemouth, Norwich City - 6
4) Manchester United, Arsenal - 5
5) Manchester City, Newcastle United, Everton - 4
6) Leicester City - 3
7) Chelsea - 2
8) Wolves, Southampton, West Ham, Aston Villa, Watford - 1
9) Tottenham Hotspur, Sheffield United, Burnley, Crystal Palace - 0

LOL - but some of the Mourinho squad weren't over 6 ft, and couldn't execute or win the hoof balls. They wanted to pass it and therefore they weren't allowed on the pitch. :LOL:

We will see a lot of very tactical responses to it, that is for sure, but it without a doubt gives an advantage to richer teams. I think that is the biggest reason for why it shouldn't be a thing, but I do appreciate it is in response to fitness issues.

Do we for one second think Brentford will have the depth to compete with Liverpool though? Liverpool could replace Firmino with Jota and see little negative impact whilst if Brentford sub Toney, who do they have? It is the same story through the team. Managers will have players they trust, but sub quality will always favour the richer teams.

I still think the real results of the 5 sub change won't fully be seen this season because of the WC break, but a normal season I think we may see the gap between the richer teams and the teams below get bigger.
In some ways though it is the likes of Liverpool who will be impacted the most. It will negatively impact clubs that are directly competing against other clubs that have significantly more resources. Whilst the likes of us, Arsenal and Liverpool we will have on paper an easier time of it against the likes of Brentford it will also help to widen the gap between rich clubs and the extremely rich clubs ie City, Chelsea, United and likely in a few years Newcastle.

Klopp's complaining is ridiculous though. His playing style is one of the most demanding on players yet he wouldn't ever think to change that before blaming the substitution rules

5 subs is supposed to be temporary...who wants to bet that it isn't? NBA here we come.

In some ways though it is the likes of Liverpool who will be impacted the most. It will negatively impact clubs that are directly competing against other clubs that have significantly more resources. Whilst the likes of us, Arsenal and Liverpool we will have on paper an easier time of it against the likes of Brentford it will also help to widen the gap between rich clubs and the extremely rich clubs ie City, Chelsea, United and likely in a few years Newcastle.

Klopp's complaining is ridiculous though. His playing style is one of the most demanding on players yet he wouldn't ever think to change that before blaming the substitution rules

5 subs is supposed to be temporary...who wants to bet that it isn't? NBA here we come.

Klopp is right about the new format of the CL by UEFA, adding more games so they steal more money. Not in yet, but we know that UEFA moved ahead without proper consent from their stakeholders.

He is also right about the Saturday lunchtime process that means that the Weds evening away CL teams can get selected for Sat lunch away games.

The solution is easy enough here. Our government need to put the decision rights back with the FA, not the broadcasting companies and the PL. UEFA, EFL, PL etc need to only work with our FA for fixture scheduling. They have the final say.

Klopp is right about the new format of the CL by UEFA, adding more games so they steal more money. Not in yet, but we know that UEFA moved ahead without proper consent from their stakeholders.

He is also right about the Saturday lunchtime process that means that the Weds evening away CL teams can get selected for Sat lunch away games.

The solution is easy enough here. Our government need to put the decision rights back with the FA, not the broadcasting companies and the PL. UEFA, EFL, PL etc need to only work with our FA for fixture scheduling. They have the final say.

Based on the decision making I have witnessed from the FA do you really think they are capable?

Anyway, does the 5 substitutes rule create an opportunity for players like Gareth Bale to remain in the PL a bit longer?

If 5 subs is to save players from overuse, shouldn't the really tired players who have taken off 4th and 5th be automatically out of action for the next game on grounds of health/fitness?

Do we for one second think Brentford will have the depth to compete with Liverpool though? Liverpool could replace Firmino with Jota and see little negative impact whilst if Brentford sub Toney, who do they have? It is the same story through the team. Managers will have players they trust, but sub quality will always favour the richer teams. match day squad

Your above points regarding stacking the deck against the smaller teams was the first thing that occurred to me, just like the fair play rules.
To add a bit of balance and maybe do some Good, perhaps they should increase the amount of home grown requirement in match day squads. We do not utilise the lower leagues enough for talent IMO.