3 changes to improve PL football. Your call! | Page 4 | Vital Football

3 changes to improve PL football. Your call!

I can see merits in your ideas X, the purple card would be good , but I don’t like the Volumtric Capture ….

IMO , as humble as that is , the game has been made too sterile as it is .

It’s a game , at the end of the day , played by eleven blokes versus eleven blokes , or ladies , arbitrated by a refereee and two linesmen who run the lines and look at right angles to the lines .

And that should be it .

It worked like that for over a hundred years.
Of course mistakes were made , but it was part of the game . It was accepted . It caused a debate on tv and in the pub but was forgotten by Sunday morning .

Until FIFA bolloxed it all up .

FIFA have introduced a monster where players now surround the ref on every incident asking for a review .
Hand to ball ? Ball to hand ? Defender handling it , attacker handling it , one inch here, one inch there , game being held up so a player can lay on the floor behind the wall , spray marks to tell players where to stand , warnings over jostling in the area and then ignoring the jostling when the kick is taken . Delaying a free kick being taken by standing in front of the ball . Allowing a shove in the back , unless a player falls flat on his face and grabs the ball.
It’s utter madness .

I can accept goal line cameras , just .

Everything else FIFA has introduced has absolutely ruined the game .

I refer , again , to Ken Aston , a great referee from my era growing up .

He gave an after dinner speech when I was a referee in the Hampshire FA . He said he was being hounded all over the pitch by a Mr Bremner . He wasn’t having it , he said , so he called him over and said to him that he had seen him make several bad passes , two hopeless shots on goal , failed to mark an opponent on two occasions and he hadn’t complained to him once .

He said they both got on great after that .

That has stayed with me forever , it’s what we need , the human interaction.
Acceptance on both sides that mistakes are made and just get on with it .

The game as it is at the moment is becoming less and less enjoyable to the point I no longer accept and celebrate a goal being scored , a penalty being given , an opponent being sent off , because everything has to go to a judge and jury and be microscopically examined

We are even being told now , that bad tackles should not be viewed in slow motion because that can distort the view , then a crucial offside decision is shown twenty five times in slow motion , same with bloke in the VAR room , mind reading a players intent, with the ball hitting his hand in the area .

Sorry X , I’ve gone all off piste again , as I do .

All I want is VAR scrapped and referees that know what they doing and how to do it . Not too much to ask for , is it ?

Im not in disagreement, but it is now wishful thinking. Its too big to slow down, and the money is too enormous, and whether we like or not, Its coming.

The Volumetric Capture would essentially eliminate VAR, or it in its current form anyway. Imagine being able to instantly replay the game, using 3D point cloud data, the the Ref could literally step into the match w a VR Visor, and walk around within the game, look at the scene from literally any angle, and make a determination.

Or at the least could see a review something like this...

One of the biggest issues with current VAR systems is the limited frame rate. This would eliminate that as well.

If the use of technology is a given, then it should also be a given that it works effectively.

Ive been working with this stuff for a number of years, and its getting close to implementation.

Im not in disagreement, but it is now wishful thinking. Its too big to slow down, and the money is too enormous, and whether we like or not, Its coming.

The Volumetric Capture would essentially eliminate VAR, or it in its current form anyway. Imagine being able to instantly replay the game, using 3D point cloud data, the the Ref could literally step into the match w a VR Visor, and walk around within the game, look at the scene from literally any angle, and make a determination.

Or at the least could see a review something like this...

One of the biggest issues with current VAR systems is the limited frame rate. This would eliminate that as well.

If the use of technology is a given, then it should also be a given that it works effectively.

Ive been working with this stuff for a number of years, and its getting close to implementation.

Mmmmmm … that is incredible X , is this what Sky are promoting at the the moment ? Alternative viewing platforms ?

Thanks mate .

Sadly I agree that It is too big to slow down .

Mmmmmm … that is incredible X , is this what Sky are promoting at the the moment ? Alternative viewing platforms ?

Thanks mate .

Sadly I agree that It is too big to slow down .

Here's a Sky presentation on the use of Volumetric Capture for their golf coverage. Its a really good primer, but its 3yrs old, and things have progressed much further as you see w the NBA capture.