3 changes to improve PL football. Your call! | Page 2 | Vital Football

3 changes to improve PL football. Your call!

My girls both in their twenties and very bright and both have masters and both speak like my deceased wife did, which was far more eloquent and used language far more elegantly than me, but will on occasion swear with the best of them, but never in company that doesn't, and never in front of children.

In fairness, they were desensitised to it by me taking them to games, one is about to do her Doctorate, but both have the ability to join a crowd or group discussion at any 'intellectual' level. They can both go through the 'levels' and you'd never know.

As for the rest, we reflect the general society around us, and it's far more acceptable now than it's ever been—accordingly to some it even marks out the highly intelligent from the less so, but not how you might think! (see link below):

I'm afraid that in a work environment, if I need to get explicate instructions or make my thoughts known, I too will use it, if I deem it appropriate, and often it is!

It still makes me laugh how these discussions start sprawling!
That is excellent by your young lady Daughters, my eldest Daughter the Optician the same, but when the topic of thick as shit patients/clients, her words, comes up the air gets a bit colourful, not to her Clients or Patients I must add lol!
Now take my middle Daughter who has been in the forces for the past 17 years, that's a completely different story lol!

I know that there are non-foul mouthed ladies about, but its easier to count the opposite, esp in the street! lol!

The world is going down hill fast, in my mind anyway!

Make refs use the laws of the game …all of them , and stop the use of individual interpretation . We cannot have laws that are used in the PL ( or ignored ) and not on Sunday Mornings . That is just ridiculous . Where that has come from I don’t know , but it has crept in and needs to be addressed.

Scrap half of the international games . How many International competitions do we need . Give the top twenty international teams automatic qualification to all tournaments . Move Afcon and all other competitions to Summer , permanently .

Allow referees to be interviewed after the game , make the referee assessment public , create a league table and relegate the worse ones , and promote the best on a quarter season basis , obviously from the lower divisions . We have to get rid of the jobs for the boys syndrome .

Put ex players on VAR and bring a new protocol of Common Sense . And stop all the nonsense VAR has brought in .

That’s four , sorry 54 , but I could go on forever and Three was too restrictive !!!!!

And !!!!! for the sake of sanity , please

…. STOP ALL THIS HANDBALL NONSENSE ,

HAND IN A NATURAL OR UNNATURAL POSITION ….WTF !

IF REFEREES CANNOT SEE THAT A PLAYER INTENDED TO HANDLE THE BALL OR NOT THEN THEY HAVE NO PLACE ON A FOOTBALL FIELD …EVER

and that is five from me …there could be more later , depends if my gander gets up again … sorry again 54 . :shrug::sorry:

Make refs use the laws of the game …all of them , and stop the use of individual interpretation . We cannot have laws that are used in the PL ( or ignored ) and not on Sunday Mornings . That is just ridiculous . Where that has come from I don’t know , but it has crept in and needs to be addressed.

Scrap half of the international games . How many International competitions do we need . Give the top twenty international teams automatic qualification to all tournaments . Move Afcon and all other competitions to Summer , permanently .

Allow referees to be interviewed after the game , make the referee assessment public , create a league table and relegate the worse ones , and promote the best on a quarter season basis , obviously from the lower divisions . We have to get rid of the jobs for the boys syndrome .

Put ex players on VAR and bring a new protocol of Common Sense . And stop all the nonsense VAR has brought in .

That’s four , sorry 54 , but I could go on forever and Three was too restrictive !!!!!

Afcon is in the summer. Theirs.

And !!!!! for the sake of sanity , please

…. STOP ALL THIS HANDBALL NONSENSE ,

HAND IN A NATURAL OR UNNATURAL POSITION ….WTF !

IF REFEREES CANNOT SEE THAT A PLAYER INTENDED TO HANDLE THE BALL OR NOT THEN THEY HAVE NO PLACE ON A FOOTBALL FIELD …EVER

and that is five from me …there could be more later , depends if my gander gets up again … sorry again 54 . :shrug::sorry:

I love it when you’ve got your gander up Walt. I’ve missed it! Keep them flowing, it all adds to the debate. FWIW I agree with all five and you have got me thinking again. Off out now but to be resumed!

Our soccer and rugby seasons are in the spring/summer/fall.

It has something to do with snow and subzero temperatures when all normal peopleare skiing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we should fully embrace the new rule introduced only last year before considering further changes to the game. The 5 sub rule.

There are 3 things that materially affect the outcome of games that referees get too much involved in. There used to be 4 but goalline technology has been successful and offside is pretty much sorted too. That leaves 2: red cards and penalty kicks. I firmly believe that the player, not the team, needs to be severely punished for serious foul play, so allow substitutes. After match reviews can fine, ban or jail offenders, but the game remains a fair contest. Finally, is it not absurd that an offence an inch or two either side of an arbitrary line can can result in a spot kick or not being awarded? Especially when the goal is not directly threatened? The remedy is too severe to be the subjective decision of the ref imo. So award free kicks where the offence occurs inside or outside the box but restrict how the defence can be set against it. That needs a bit of thought to avoid unintended consequences but not beyond the wit of man surely. Maximum 2 man walls or numbers in the box etc could be considered.

Ok , as I have been given licence to get my gander up …..

Stop referees organising the defensive wall at attacking free kicks , allow a quick free kick just as they do everywhere else on the pitch .
It takes away any advantage to the attacking team AND WASTES TIME THAT IS NOT ADDED ON AT THE END , which is contrary to the new directives .

Referees to make verbal contact with players who are “ treading the line “ with their on field conduct , and verbally warn them .
Then , if their poor conduct continues, verbally ,officially, warn them that they are being cautioned , their name is being entered in the book and that any further transgression will result in them being removed from the pitch .. just flashing a yellow card at them as they run away is a cop out . As is most of the refs conduct on the pitch .

Stop this nonsense at every corner or free kick , where the ball is normally being delivered into the penalty area , of delaying the kick and walking over to the jostling players and telling them to stop being naughty and stop pushing and pulling . Just take action and actually punish them with a penalty or defensive free kick .

Stop the nonsense of not allowing a microscopically moving ball at a free kick .

Actually punish players and award a foul throw for not following the Laws at throw ins .

Abandon the stupidity of linesmen not flagging for offside when players are obviously yards offside .

The referee to visit both sides in the changing rooms before the game starts and go through what he will allow and will not allow .
Tell them that they are being recorded at every minute of the match and their ungentlemanly conduct will not be tolerated , which includes swearing , particularly telling the officials to go forth and multiply .

I will come back again later …….

From the BBC article on extended injury time.

The figures, certainly as far as the Premier League is concerned, supported the idea.

In last season's competition, the average 'ball in play' time was 54 minutes 52 seconds - the lowest in more than a decade.

Has the stricter approach had the desired affect?

Well, so far, the evidence suggests it has, with Premier League matches seeing an average ball-in-play time of 58 minutes 48 seconds - an increase of almost four minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
3 changes to improve the PL
I think a home, win 3 pts, away win 4 pts, draw 1 pt would maybe stop the park the bus attitude.
I do agree with a 'sin bin' for perhaps the like of a 2nd offence which is bookable but not dangerous play.
I do wish they would get VAR better and perhaps micing the ref so as the crowd knows, what's going on (a La Rugby) perhaps is the answer, as Rugby seems, to be, able to get decisions much quicker.

We’ve all followed football for most of our lives. There are rules and we all know them. But the more we change those rules, the less the game resembles the game we all love …. the game that our parents and grandparents enjoyed. I believe they should not be overly messed with.

Goal-line technology was a no-brainer. Three points for a win was also a good move as it encourages more attacking football. The offside rule has been altered in a way that benefits the game. It seems to me that everything is in place. The use of substitutes improves the game. Yellow and red cards work well.

Football is unique. It is not rugby or hockey. We have never needed sin-bins that are part of those football codes. I really do not see the necessity. I would hate to see football lose its unique identity by copying other football codes. The current rules work. The only thing that requires improving is the officiating.

Having said that, I’m beginning to think that the VAR is a waste of time. Literally. If VAR continues to make the same mistakes it is there to prevent, and wastes a considerable amount of time whilst doing it, what’s the point of it. The game has to flow.

I don’t understand why is has all suddenly become so complicated. Simply put …. officials need to consistently enforce the rules that are already in place.

And then we will enjoy the game as we always have, and as previous generations enjoyed it.

Just my ‘old-school’ thoughts.

- Reduce PL from 20 to 16 Clubs, fixtures from 38 to 30 league games per season. Three up three down promotion and relegation i.e. teams finishing 14-16 are relegated. Entirely new challenges for Clubs like Palace who have historically been happy to finish fifteenth every year and never seek to improve. Guaranteed CL for top two Clubs in PL.

- Carabao Cup to be replaced by two midweek Cup competitions, the PL Cup for PL Clubs only, and the League Cup for all other Clubs.
PL Cup knockout competition to be played in first half of season with home and away two leg final. Maximum five matches, winner determined by Xmas with automatic qualification into next season CL.
League Cup, knockout competition for non PL Clubs, played throughout the season with Wembley final. Winner to gain automatic entry into Europa League, and one of the three promotion slots into the PL.
FA Cup as per currently. Final to be last game of the season at end April, with winner automatically qualifying for Europa League, and one of the three promotion slots to the PL if not won by a PL Club.
First and second teams in Championship to be promoted to PL, dependent on outcome of Cup competitions.

- May will be a designated 'international month' facilitating up to five matches per country over a thirty day period, made possible by the reduction in the number of league fixtures. No international matches during the league season.

We’ve all followed football for most of our lives. There are rules and we all know them. But the more we change those rules, the less the game resembles the game we all love …. the game that our parents and grandparents enjoyed. I believe they should not be overly messed with.

Goal-line technology was a no-brainer. Three points for a win was also a good move as it encourages more attacking football. The offside rule has been altered in a way that benefits the game. It seems to me that everything is in place. The use of substitutes improves the game. Yellow and red cards work well.

Football is unique. It is not rugby or hockey. We have never needed sin-bins that are part of those football codes. I really do not see the necessity. I would hate to see football lose its unique identity by copying other football codes. The current rules work. The only thing that requires improving is the officiating.

Having said that, I’m beginning to think that the VAR is a waste of time. Literally. If VAR continues to make the same mistakes it is there to prevent, and wastes a considerable amount of time whilst doing it, what’s the point of it. The game has to flow.

I don’t understand why is has all suddenly become so complicated. Simply put …. officials need to consistently enforce the rules that are already in place.

And then we will enjoy the game as we always have, and as previous generations enjoyed it.

Geof , what do you mean when you said the offside rule has been altered in a way that benefits the game ?
Are you on about changing the rule so that if you are not interfering you are not offside ?

It’s clear to me that most of the problems we are on about are caused by the officials incompetence .

Just think of all the efforts made in the past decade or so that weren’t there for the the first hundred and twenty years , when football was a proper game , to help the poor little lambs run a football match .

Being paid full time to run a football match .

Having pampering sessions , and automatic acceptance to a cosy club .

The fourth official .

Linesmen being reincarnated as referees assistants ,

The two goons that stood behind the goal in European games .

The introduction of yellow and red cards .

The microphone and headset they wear .
Fuck me , if that goes wrong now , they have to stop the game !

The bleeper on a linesman’s flag to warn them that the linesman has seen a transgression .

And now this ridiculous Video Assistant which takes away any credibility they may have had .

All this and they still can’t run a game properly, and we have to have programmes on television to debate the use , or misuse , of all the above .

From the Officials perspective it is all so very poor .

Non of the above are available to the Sunday League ref , or the semi pro Saturday leagues or indeed most of the lower table professional leagues .

These are the places where everyone knows the Laws , runs the game properly , or to the best of their incredible ability, without all the paraphernalia and circus prancing , then go off to a cold shower and concrete floored changing room .

And do we get headlines in the papers and on tv about their incompetence and managers ranting and raving about them and the injustices?

Someone I knew for a long a long time once said “ it’s a funny old game “

The officials we have now are doing their utmost to take that fun out of the game .

And succeeding .

Sorry if I’ve gone “off piste “ again , 54

Last edited:

You can't un-invent technology Geoff. As soon as the pitch was surrounded by cameras that could allow pundits and fans to pick over every incident on super slowmo, the subjectivity within the interpretation of the rules became contentious. We didnt used to have any subs, now 5. Hard tackling was fair, now it's not. Players smoked and drank copiously, now they are elite athletes. Referees now are no worse than yesteryear but now they get pilloried. I do think the rules must evolve to reflect all of this. Sendings off and penalty kicks ruin games and often unfairly dictate outcomes.

Geof , what do you mean when you said the offside rule has been altered in a way that benefits the game ?
Are you on about changing the rule so that if you are not interfering you are not offside ?

It’s clear to me that most of the problems we are on about are caused by the officials incompetence .

Just think of all the efforts made in the past decade or so that weren’t there for the the first hundred and twenty years , when football was a proper game , to help the poor little lambs run a football match .

The fourth official .

The bleeper on a linesman’s flag to warn them that the linesman has seen a transgression .

And now this ridiculous Video Assistant which takes away any credibility they may have had .

All this and they still can’t run a game properly, and we have to have programmes on television to debate the use , or misuse , of all the above .

Non of the above are available to the Sunday League ref , or the semi pro Saturday leagues or indeed most of the lower table professional leagues .

These are the places where everyone knows the Laws , runs the game properly , or to the best of their incredible ability, without all the paraphernalia and circus prancing , then go off to a cold shower and concrete floored changing room .

And do we get headlines in the papers and on tv about their incompetence and managers ranting and raving about them and the injustices?

The officials we have now are doing their utmost to take that fun out of the game .

And succeeding .

It's the technology that is the difference between the professional and amateur games, Walt, not the competence of the officials imo.

The fourth official .

And succeeding .

Yes, Walt, that's exactly what I mean. Sorry, I should have been clearer.