20220119 - PL Match Thread - Leicester City FC vs Tottenham Hotspur | Page 12 | Vital Football

20220119 - PL Match Thread - Leicester City FC vs Tottenham Hotspur

Result?

• Win

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Loss

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Two players who I'm not a fan of stepped up to the plate, Sanchez and Berg were excellent, credit where its due. The Doc was excellent when he came on as well. Bring on the Chavs. Going to bed drunk and happy with my Beloved Spurs...now that's a rare thing. C.O.Y.S

Yes, you can see it as well. We take a 28 year old average LB and start pretending he's a competent LCB. He just isn't, and can't transition his long term football muscle memory that quickly. Look how long it is taking Dier to transition. He also has the physiology to be a centre half. Davies doesn't.

I'd persist with Japhet in LCB until Bastoni joins :LOL:

On the whole Davies was excellent tonight... And has been playing well since Contes arrival.

An extraordinary finish to a very good game, which is usually the case with these two Clubs.
Maybe it shouldn't be overlooked that if the game had finished after ninety four and a half minutes, we would have been bemoaning what crap we are this morning. Conversely it was gratifying that we went into extra time showing a belief that we could still get something out of the game. When the impossible happened the sheer excitement shown by the Captain and Vice Captain was really quite special.
As I said in a post yesterday, being in the CL is something that the Club desperately needs in order to be where it rightfully belongs, and to gain the financial benefits and player opportunities it provides. In that context Bergwijn's two late goals last night, the second of which was superbly taken, may not only have huge implications on this season, but several seasons to come.
Bring on Chelsea, no better confidence booster than us winning the Leicester game, whilst Chelsea's league form continues to dip. It will need a lot more self belief than we often show though. Team selection will be interesting, both Bergwijn and Doherty must come into contention after last nights performances.

With a couple of minutes to go, whilst we were still losing 2-1, I was gutted with the score but really pleased with the performance.

I want to see evidence this season that Conte can improve the players he's got and lay the groundwork for a system that we can kick on with from next season once the club starts recruiting the players he (or any incoming manager) needs.

We saw that improvement last night. I think we also saw the limitations of a few players that was the difference between having the game won by half time and scrambling over the line in the last minute. Only better quality can improve that.

Hopefully the 3-man midfield stays for now although if it's to be Winks-PEH-Skipp there aren't any natural replacements in the squad for injuries and fatigue. I'm assuming Ndombele will be gone but hopefully not without a replacement. Gio isn't a CM and neither is Dele.

I would love to see a fully-fit, fully-motivated Son in the front 2. He and Kane (on last night's form) would be a devastating attacking duo. I think he'd relish the role and the service that came last night. And if you're going to play with a front 2 they both need to be quality.

I thought over the 90 minutes Moura was quite poor in that role. Apart from one shot in the first half he did his best work when he dropped deep or went wide. He's much more effective playing behind the strikers where he has space to operate.

Well done to Doherty too. He was a player transformed last night which was presumably what the club saw in him when they bought him. He's earned his place for Sunday.

Went to sleep buzzing, woke up feeling fantastic. This is what it must feel like for other team's supporters when we pull a 'Spursy'.

We played so well, I remember thinking at 90 mins that the coach trip back would be morose and everyone in the press would be talking about Conte leaving and the deep problems in our team, now the narrative is so different.

A night and day of trying to avoid the Spurs podcasts and Talksport has been replaced by a day when they're on my headphones constantly.

This is why one should never try to beat the stadium rush to get home a few minutes early or swich off the TV in disgust. Bring on Chelsea, they are there for the taking.

It doesn't make up for being wrong for four years about Alli. :LOL: Well done Bergwijn, although this adulation should have started 12 months ago against pool.

Have we finally found a player that you actually like?

Anyway, if Dele was playing we wouldn't have needed to score in injury time.

Back at ya :LOL:

With a couple of minutes to go, whilst we were still losing 2-1, I was gutted with the score but really pleased with the performance.

I want to see evidence this season that Conte can improve the players he's got and lay the groundwork for a system that we can kick on with from next season once the club starts recruiting the players he (or any incoming manager) needs.

We saw that improvement last night. I think we also saw the limitations of a few players that was the difference between having the game won by half time and scrambling over the line in the last minute. Only better quality can improve that.

Hopefully the 3-man midfield stays for now although if it's to be Winks-PEH-Skipp there aren't any natural replacements in the squad for injuries and fatigue. I'm assuming Ndombele will be gone but hopefully not without a replacement. Gio isn't a CM and neither is Dele.

I would love to see a fully-fit, fully-motivated Son in the front 2. He and Kane (on last night's form) would be a devastating attacking duo. I think he'd relish the role and the service that came last night. And if you're going to play with a front 2 they both need to be quality.

I thought over the 90 minutes Moura was quite poor in that role. Apart from one shot in the first half he did his best work when he dropped deep or went wide. He's much more effective playing behind the strikers where he has space to operate.

Well done to Doherty too. He was a player transformed last night which was presumably what the club saw in him when they bought him. He's earned his place for Sunday.

Yeah, agree with all of that. I'd like to think that Sonny would be thinking that if he doesn't knuckle down this season then he'll be on the bench and Bergwijn will be in the side. Moura doesn't thrive in a 3-5-2, but we've seen him adapt before.

I was also thinking last night that if we persist with Hojbjerg and Skipp either side of Winksy until the end of the season, then is that an opportunity for Harvey White or Nile John to get involved from the bench? That's assuming other players fly the nest.

Also, Conte is finally moving to a back 4 in second half of games that we're chasing. Long overdue in my mind.

Yeah, agree with all of that. I'd like to think that Sonny would be thinking that if he doesn't knuckle down this season then he'll be on the bench and Bergwijn will be in the side. Moura doesn't thrive in a 3-5-2, but we've seen him adapt before.

I was also thinking last night that if we persist with Hojbjerg and Skipp either side of Winksy until the end of the season, then is that an opportunity for Harvey White or Nile John to get involved from the bench? That's assuming other players fly the nest.

Also, Conte is finally moving to a back 4 in second half of games that we're chasing. Long overdue in my mind.
Too early to get too carried away by Bergwijn. He needs to stay fit, and be regularly selected, which he will only achieve by putting in performances like last night on a regular basis. He's probably capable of that, it's not the first time this season that he's put in a very good performance amongst his limited appearances. Achieve that and I don't see any reason why Conte shouldn't be looking to a system with Kane, Son and Bergwijn as a front three, with Moura available on the bench to replace whoever may be having an 'off day'. That would be refreshing.