20210916 ECL Match Thread - Stade Rennais FC vs Tottenham Hotspur | Page 8 | Vital Football

20210916 ECL Match Thread - Stade Rennais FC vs Tottenham Hotspur

Result?

• Win

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Lose

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just wondering whether eventually Nuno might discover something that works because of his injury list and despite his current interpretation of things.

I enjoyed Tanguy and Japhet tonight. I also enjoyed Hojbjerg's last 20 mins once he was relieved of trying to be a dynamic right sided midfielder. Scarlett showing us what work-rate a striker can give a team. Royal's energy and directness in the second half showing way more than Moura did.

Lots of negatives tonight though, but a lot of learning.

Perhaps we can stop the nonsense now that Gil is ready for prime time.

Sunday's team should be....

Lloris
Sanchez, Romero, Rodon/Davies
Royal, Hojbjerg, Skipp, Reggie
Dele, Ndombele
Son

So do you agree Lamela offers more than Gil who is a downgrade currently..

I'm a firm believer in tanking these cups, saving our best players for the PL and allowing squad players and youngsters to get match fit.

Every season I have arguments with my mates who believe we have the squad to push in 3-4 comps, and every season a match like this comes where we lose players to injury and the match goes wrong.

The players didn't care about the Europa. They ain't giving a damn about this one.

We don't even have the 1st 11 quality yet, we certainly don't have the squad to compete on all fronts.

So do you agree Lamela offers more than Gil who is a downgrade currently..

Lamela would have drowned as well playing LCM tonight. He didn't have that in his locker for the whole 8 years he was at the club. My comment was a follow on to a conversation I had that Gil isn't ready to replace Dele in Nuno's current system.

I could only really compare them if it was apples and apples i.e. a 4-2-3-1.

No pain, no gain. We had to get rid of Lamela, Toby, Sissoko, Hart, Rose, Aurier etc. Our older contingent were and still are holding us back. We need to keep going with Doherty, Davies, Winks and Kane next out the door. Then THFC will rise again.

Lamela would have drowned as well playing LCM tonight. He didn't have that in his locker for the whole 8 years he was at the club. My comment was a follow on to a conversation I had that Gil isn't ready to replace Dele in Nuno's current system.

I could only really compare them if it was apples and apples i.e. a 4-2-3-1.

No pain, no gain. We had to get rid of Lamela, Toby, Sissoko, Hart, Rose, Aurier etc. Our older contingent were and still are holding us back. We need to keep going with Doherty, Davies, Winks and Kane next out the door. Then THFC will rise again.

His free kick delivery is better, his strength on the ball, his reading of the game, his alertness in the box ( follow up on Kanes shot ) , his tracking back. Gil is not even ready for third tier Europe let alone PL.

I'm not discussing whether Lamela had reached the time to let go. Its whether Gil is a downgrade or not currently.

That referee caused Moura’s injury . He didn’t blow for the alleged foul by Moura on the Rennes player , Moura then carried on running’s d got brought down and injured, the ref then blew the whistle for the foul earlier . You could see Kane having a go at him . If he had blown for Mouras foul on the Rennes player straight away , Moura wouldn’t have got injured.

I know it’s a third tier competition , but do we need third tier refs .
Where is Timbo when you need him ?

wish we had got Traore now !

It’s far too soon to start rating Gil….. he is twenty years old. Playing in a different country , probably still in temp accommodation, e dry thing is different for him .
This question might be more relevant at the end of the season .

I don’t think we can judge Gil’s readiness based on tonight’s game. I really like his touch and move approach although it takes other players being on the same page aswell.

In the 1st half both he and Bergwijn operated in the same space and weren’t as effective as Gil and Sessegnon in the last game.

If Nuno encouraged the full backs to bomb on I can see a good partnership on the left with Reguilon and Gil.

That referee caused Moura’s injury . He didn’t blow for the alleged foul by Moura on the Rennes player , Moura then carried on running’s d got brought down and injured, the ref then blew the whistle for the foul earlier . You could see Kane having a go at him . If he had blown for Mouras foul on the Rennes player straight away , Moura wouldn’t have got injured.

Same thing, but a different lens. The ball came from left back to right back. Where was our right back? He was in no passing position so was running backwards when he took the ball from Japhet. Then watch Moura's role in the move. He switched on late and came to receive the ball and went into schoolboy mode, trying to do it all himself. Lucas lost control of the ball and therefore fouled their other player before trying to recover and falling under their player who had come in to double up. Perhaps it was a bit nasty as he left the force on Moura's leg but it was all of our own making. Where was our £150m striker? Was he offering an out ball to Lucas? Where were the rest of our midfield? Were they ready to receive and pass it back to Lucas and start a promising move?

Nuno needs to ask himself why the right hand side of the pitch is such a mess. We took a stupid casualty tonight because of the lack of intelligence of some players and laziness of others. I can't find it again to rewatch the actual incident, but remember thinking to myself at the time, what an absolute shit show.

I'd love to see that same move with Japhet, Dele and Son down our right with Tanguy inside. A totally different outcome would be my verdict.

Anyway, we'll be counting fit bodies again on Sunday morning. I hope Dier is back to join Romero and Sanchez. We'll need some warriors at the back on Sunday.

I am just going to say it now.
This is what happens when players, agents and press know that we appointed our 5th or 6th choice manager.
He looked like a rabbit in the headlights from his first presser.
The players know he will be off before they are.
He can say what he wants and it wont make a difference.

The players didn't care about the Europa. They ain't giving a damn about this one.

We don't even have the 1st 11 quality yet, we certainly don't have the squad to compete on all fronts.
That may be the case but our players put these performances in against any team so that thinking would suggest they don't care about any match.

You get a thumbs up for that last line.