20210916 ECL Match Thread - Stade Rennais FC vs Tottenham Hotspur | Page 2 | Vital Football

20210916 ECL Match Thread - Stade Rennais FC vs Tottenham Hotspur

Result?

• Win

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Lose

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So no Son, Dier and Sess through injury whilst Gio, Romero and Sanchez remain in Croatia.

Based on that, I would start with....

Gollini
Doherty, Tanganga, Rodon, Reggie
Dele, Skipp, Ndombele
Bergwijn, Scarlett, Gil

A massive opportunity for Nuno to get some intelligent ball-players on the pitch together.

Don't know why, but have a feeling that Fagan-Walcott or Omole will start in this one.

I just read another possible team...

Gollini
Doh!...Tanganga...Rodon...Davies
Hoj...N'Dombele
Dele
Lucas....Kane...Gil.

I guess we will just have to wait n see lol!

Gollini
Doh - Tanganga - Rodon - Davies
Winks - Ndombele
Lucas - John - Gil
Kane

...is what I am expecting. I would like to see...

Gollini
Doh - Tanganga - Rodon - Omole - Davies
John - Winks
Lucas - Ndombele - Gil
Kane

And I would like to see Markanday come on for Lucas on the 60th and Scarlett come on for Kane on the 60th too.

I would like to see nuno dropping winks. He has started both games which we lost this season. Should be an eye opener. He will never be good enough for us. Have seen it enough now. So I would prefer to give the chance a youngster instead.

Gollini
Doh - Tanganga - Rodon - Davies
Winks - Ndombele
Lucas - John - Gil
Kane

...is what I am expecting. I would like to see...

Gollini
Doh - Tanganga - Rodon - Omole - Davies
John - Winks
Lucas - Ndombele - Gil
Kane

And I would like to see Markanday come on for Lucas on the 60th and Scarlett come on for Kane on the 60th too.

You'd play a 5-2-3-1?

Would you have a good answer if the ref asked why you have 12 players on the pitch?

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

I would like to see nuno dropping winks. He has started both games which we lost this season. Should be an eye opener. He will never be good enough for us. Have seen it enough now. So I would prefer to give the chance a youngster instead.

Winks had to be subbed when we went down to 10 men thanks to Tanganga. The score was 0-0 at the time. Royal was culpable for the two goals after Davies gave away the penalty.
I don't think it's fair linking Winks to the defeat at Palace.

Someone mentioned their danger men on the other thread. If of any comfort, Sky reports:

Rennes attacker Martin Terrier (thigh) is not expected to be available, with Jeremy Doku also out (hamstring). Alfred Gomis (quarantine), Birger Meling (adductor) and Lovro Majer (hip) are also likely to be out

Winks had to be subbed when we went down to 10 men thanks to Tanganga. The score was 0-0 at the time. Royal was culpable for the two goals after Davies gave away the penalty.
I don't think it's fair linking Winks to the defeat at Palace.

What you talk about is Nuno's game plan. In the first half, Winks did spend a fair bit of time on the right even though Nuno had selected him left of Skipp. He went into that area to get on the ball knowing that Skipp and Hojbjerg were more than capable of shifting over. Or were they? It didn't take long for the comments to appear that Winks was doing a much worse job than Dele in his normal position. It didn't take long for comments about how Dele wasn't doing a great job of Bergwijn's normal position. It looked to me as much to do with Skipp and Hojbjerg as it did with Winks.

It is blatantly obvious that Wink's hates zonal systems as much as the next man. He hated it under Jose and he is hating it under Nuno. When he gets his move to another club, he'll start enjoying his career again. For me, he was the only one of the 3 trying to be dynamic.

Conclusion - Hojbjerg is our problem in midfield. Stick Winks or Dele in his position and you'll see an immediate positive change. We also need to set Winks free. A very poor man's Scholes, that isn't even allowed to play like Scholes.

What you talk about is Nuno's game plan. In the first half, Winks did spend a fair bit of time on the right even though Nuno had selected him left of Skipp. He went into that area to get on the ball knowing that Skipp and Hojbjerg were more than capable of shifting over. Or were they? It didn't take long for the comments to appear that Winks was doing a much worse job than Dele in his normal position. It didn't take long for comments about how Dele wasn't doing a great job of Bergwijn's normal position. It looked to me as much to do with Skipp and Hojbjerg as it did with Winks.

It is blatantly obvious that Wink's hates zonal systems as much as the next man. He hated it under Jose and he is hating it under Nuno. When he gets his move to another club, he'll start enjoying his career again. For me, he was the only one of the 3 trying to be dynamic.

Conclusion - Hojbjerg is our problem in midfield. Stick Winks or Dele in his position and you'll see an immediate positive change. We also need to set Winks free. A very poor man's Scholes, that isn't even allowed to play like Scholes.
So what do you think Wink's best position is?

He's 25 now and I still don't know. I thought at one point he might make a good number 10.

What would be the setup that would bring the best out of him?

He's 25 now and I still don't know. I thought at one point he might make a good number 10.

Gary to be honest I have always said there is decent midfield player screaming too get out with Winks, the way our recent Coaches have treated him you can see he has gone backwards, muttley said about him being "zonal" and him hating it, so bloody true, give him a position of free expression.

It is a great question. For me, a number 8 in a possession based system. Scholes was one of my favourite players. Never more than 10 yards from the ball and always an available option for a pass. When I first saw Winks, that was how I pictured him.

When I saw him with Wanyama, I also noticed that his heat map could be deeper than Big Vic who was playing the midfield destroyer role. He was more like the tempo setter, like Carrick. Problem is, he doesn't have the mid to long passing range. England found that out which is why he lost the battle with Rice.

Finally, in a 4-3-3 I would have no problem playing him in the position current occupied by Hojbjerg. Just not on the equivalent left position because he turns the wrong way. On the right he drives forward more. I'd rather have Dele, Tanguy or Gio there as well.

I'm in the camp where I'm OK if we cash in on him. It's a shame Spurs never used him correctly and it's a shame Winks didn't fulfil his early promise. He could soon quite easily become the Lamela, Sissoko, Aurier, Moura type player that is blocking the path for a youngster. Some would argue, he already is.

Winks best position...another teams lineup or bench. LOL

Sorry, I have nothing against him...I just don't think he has the level of quality we need at that position.

I want Ndombele to get some minutes today. Let's see if he wants to play. It will confirm whether we have as big a problem in MF as we think.
Yep, #me too!. I'd throw Gil in the mix too.

If ND doesn't start then I fear we have some serious problems with the guy, after all he made the bench last Saturday and there's no point throwing him in v Chelsea without any match sharpness.

Yep, #me too!. I'd throw Gil in the mix too.

If ND doesn't start then I fear we have some serious problems with the guy, after all he made the bench last Saturday and there's no point throwing him in v Chelsea without any match sharpness.
I keep getting verbals n reading that ND is in midfield with Deli n Winks, plus that Gil is in also.