2018 Summer Transfer Mega Thread | Page 35 | Vital Football

2018 Summer Transfer Mega Thread

Jeff try living up here celtic got 2m for winning the league and Burnley get 120m to finish 7th. I know we get a hard time up here off the uneducated down south but given the restraints our football ain’t that bad .
Not only that, just look at the damage the English Greed League has done to the Scottish national side. Not too long ago the top English league had many world class first generation Scots playing in it. These are very few and far between these days and the Scottish national side have to scrape up second and third generation Scots to play for them. Add to this the amount of overseas players playing in the SPL and the situation is that more frustrating for the SFA and the fans.

I remember back in the early 80s a bloke, not even a football fan (he was rugby union) saying to me that money would ruin football. How he knew at that time is beyond me, but you are right it is a curse on the game.
The big clubs will only consider their own well being, even at the expense of the game itself.

Alan Nixon is saying Wigan might have a Everton youth player here very shortly. I might be crazy but I think he is suggesting there might be someone in the side against rangers.

Also we may be going in for Antonee Robinson LB from Everton played at Bolton last year and they are trying to get him back on loan. Seems they rate him highly.

Also we may be going in for Antonee Robinson LB from Everton played at Bolton last year and they are trying to get him back on loan. Seems they rate him highly.
An Everton fan I know said we were after Robinson last week, but he's usually talking bullsh!t. However if others are talking then maybe there is an element of truth to it...

Perch and Wallace not in squad at Rangers while Gibson is - assume that the rumours about those 2 not getting deals was correct.

No Everton lad in Latics squad today but apparently their young left back Antonee Robinson did well at Bolton on loan and was set to go back again but we've nipped in and might gazump them.

The youth and loan system is what it is and if a club like Liverpool put those terms in you've got to accept it or miss out on potentially great loan players. It's a calculated risk and for Woodburn I'd take it as you likely wont get such a talented lad without accepting a clause or paying a decent loan fee that apparently Liverpool dont charge in exchange for taking on the clause. I wouldn't just accept those loan terms for every loan but for this player i would go for it.

Last edited:
Seems like Rangers are taking the game seriously. Our line up just looks experimental. We must have Grigg, Byrne, Power and a left back ( conjoured up) by next Saturday. Great opportunity to have next Saturday's starting eleven starting together today unless this is next Saturday's starting eleven.

People saying Joe Royal at Chesterfield and up at Rangers today looks like he's already started his new job 28,775 on at Ibrox

Seems like Rangers are taking the game seriously. Our line up just looks experimental. We must have Grigg, Byrne, Power and a left back ( conjoured up) by next Saturday. Great opportunity to have next Saturday's starting eleven starting together today unless this is next Saturday's starting eleven.
Given the likes of Grigg and Power didn’t start - unlikely.

I fear a few kiddies from Everton aren’t going to magically turn us into world beaters. But let’s see what happens. Villa want Woodburn so we can rule him out.

I fear a few kiddies from Everton aren’t going to magically turn us into world beaters. But let’s see what happens. Villa want Woodburn so we can rule him out.

The players we're linked with are hardly "kiddies" Robinson is a fully fledged international with ~30 appearances in the Championship. That's more than the players he'd be replacing if he is one of the targets.

I dont think we have a happy camp here at the moment ..... Something is going on why freeze two players out all together do not realy understand why you would do that ... so if no one comes in for them they have had no pre season

Maybe there are no problems in the camp but there has been issues with individuals that lead to the freezing out?

I'm absolutely not a fan of freezing out contracted players but without having any knowledge of what has or hasn't happened behind the scenes how can we comment on if it's right or wrong?

You can easily jump to the worst possible conclusion as easily as you can think that what's going on is going to be justified and for the greater good of the group. So unless someone has anything more to suggest there are problems in the dressing room it's pretty much just a guess.

4 Everton youngsters linked all Joe Royle Everton connection.

Antonee Robinson - left back on loan at Bolton last season. Apparently dud well.

Callum Connolly - had him 2 years ago and apparently did well playing centre mid for Ipswich last year

Mathew Pennington - centre back was on loan at Leeds last year. Their fans didn't rate him.

Kieran Dowell - attacking mid impressed on loan at Forest last year.

Side note Villa also now pushing for Woodburn too apparently.

We can only play 5 loan players at once and already have Walton and James so can't see us taking on more than 3 of the above. Taking 3 loans this week will also kill our ability to loan to buy until the end of Aug as we'll have filled our loan spots. So we need to be very careful with those loans if we aren't signing any permanent deals.

If Woodburn potentially going somewhere else Robinson, Connolly and Dowell on paper sound decent. But to be honest i wouldn't take Connolly back for RB as we dont need to use another loan in that position and I've never seen him in def midor the other 2 play at all to say anything about them. Pennington doesn't sound like he's that great but I've never heard of him either to know if he's a bad player or young lad learning who had a tough loan.

But 5 links in a day with 4 from Everton suggests things are heating up which we desperately need before next Saturday. Fingers crossed in any of these true they are what we need.

I think the rule is playing 5 loanees at once not having 5 but I may be wrong. Conolly won’t come in as a right back but Ipswich fans loved him at cdm last year. Robinson I know a bit about as he plays for the states internationally good athlete certainly much better than what we have currently at lb.

If the supposed comments from Cooky are true then yes, I am worried for our progress this year and also annoyed that this takeover has dragged on so long that it has obviously affected Cooks player recruitment in the transfer market for this season. What’s going on.....we should be going into the new season with excitement and optimism but all of a sudden the clouds of doom and gloom have come over. I AM genuinely worried.

What’s going on.....we should be going into the new season with excitement and optimism but all of a sudden the clouds of doom and gloom have come over. I AM genuinely worried.

.....So another normal day at the office for you then, Charlz? ;)