Transfers - Summer 2024 | Page 33 | Vital Football

Transfers - Summer 2024

Hi Walt, agree re Bissuma, I'm of a similar opinion, I do think the Malaria issue has had an effect on his game.

by M Börjesson · Cited by 8 — Full fitness is often reached only after 3 months of training [3]. Contact sports are contraindicated until the spleen has returned to its..

You can read the above investigation/report or just the extract I started this post with...

What we do know is that he did not get 3 months of training before he was played.

There is no question in my mind that he was returned too soon, and you can clearly see that in his play.

He will be a better version of himself again, after a decent break and a proper pre-season, the Bissouma we are seeing now, is not the one who went to AFCON - add in his injury just before, and it's little wonder that he's looked a shadow of himself.

Last edited:
I'm told that Onana is a real live target - I guess no surprise there; but it's going to take a big number as the competition for his signature is said to be 'fierce'.
It's a shame we missed out on Adam Wharton, were were reportedly interested, his performances for Palace in the 6 role have been outstanding. It's rare to see a young guy move up a league and settle in so quickly.

Also, it's clear as day that for an attacking team, our attack is awful and often where the play breaks down which is causing these turnovers.

Udogie, Porro, Werner, Kulu, Johnson and Son just aren't that great on the ball or any kind of attacking threat when the play slows down. You can see the frustration in Maddison when he's searching for players and everybody's just stood still, marked out of the game.

We're missing those little magicians for this system, I can't imagine we'll get anybody on the cheap when (I know he always gets mentioned) Grealish costs you £100m euros.

Also, it's clear as day that for an attacking team, our attack is awful and often where the play breaks down which is causing these turnovers.

Udogie, Porro, Werner, Kulu, Johnson and Son just aren't that great on the ball or any kind of attacking threat when the play slows down. You can see the frustration in Maddison when he's searching for players and everybody's just stood still, marked out of the game.

We're missing those little magicians for this system, I can't imagine we'll get anybody on the cheap when (I know he always gets mentioned) Grealish costs you £100m euros.
Hmm, it's not awful, we're only 4 goals scored behind Villa - that doesn't mean it can't be improved, and I suspect this will happen.

Movement is an area that Ange's system does well, excpet when it doesn't and in the last third of the season, it's become a problem, again I think we can expect this to improve further next season.

The summer window will be intriguing, if he's played we have already secured one of those magicians Lucas Bergvall , could be very special. Also Nusa is still in the frame although his knee issue might see us not take the risk.

Luka Vuskovic is also a bit special, but we will have to be patient with him, and won't see him start until the 25/26 season.

Besides them, we have 3 possibly 4 from the academy who are on the verge of stepping up..

Next season may well be their breakthrough season...as many academy followers are strongly predicting. JD in particular thinks we have 5/6 capable of being impressive PL starters in due course.

Last edited:
It's a shame we missed out on Adam Wharton, were were reportedly interested, his performances for Palace in the 6 role have been outstanding. It's rare to see a young guy move up a league and settle in so quickly.
Interestingly, he turned down Manure, Man City and Liverpool to go there, so his advisors clearly only see CP as a shop window for a big big move for vast sums, already, there is talk of Bayern and Real Madrid watching him closely.

I do think he's been advised well - he starts at CP and his game has gone to another level, as an England supporter, I wouldn't be surprised if he's called up for the Euros!

Hmm, it's not awful, we're only 4 goals scored behind Villa - that doesn't mean it can't be improved, and I suspect this will happen.

Movement is an area that Ange's system does well, excpet when it doesn't and in the last third of the season, it's become a problem, again I think we can expect this to improve further next season.

The summer window will be intriguing, if he's played we have already secured one of those magicians Lucas Bergvall , could be very special. Also Nusa is still in the frame although his knee issue might see us not take the risk.

Luka Vuskovic is also a bit special, but we will have to be patient with him, and won't see him start until the 25/26 season.

Besides them, we have 3 possibly 4 from the academy who are on the verge of stepping up..

Next season may well be their breakthrough season...as many academy followers are stringly predicting. JD in particular thinks we have 5/6 capable of being impressive PL starters in due course.
From my perspective our attacks break down with very little technical or aerial threat. Werner, Son and Johnson look threatening on the break, but when the play slows down and we're faced with 2 banks of 4 in front of the goal, we have no other avenue of scoring.

Maddison, Bissouma, Bentacur, Hojberg, Skipp, Udogie, Porro, Sarr, Werner and even Johnson (who is equal to) have less goals than Romero this year. Kulusevski only has 1 goal more.

Teams aren't scared of us, whatsoever. They know eventually they'll get the ball back because we're not playing at pace, then just ping the ball back down our end and off they go, looking like they'll score with every attack.

Let's see if our kids will get promoted, I really am holding on to some desperate hope here!

From my perspective our attacks break down with very little technical or aerial threat. Werner, Son and Johnson look threatening on the break, but when the play slows down and we're faced with 2 banks of 4 in front of the goal, we have no other avenue of scoring.

Maddison, Bissouma, Bentacur, Hojberg, Skipp, Udogie, Porro, Sarr, Werner and even Johnson (who is equal to) have less goals than Romero this year. Kulusevski only has 1 goal more.

Teams aren't scared of us, whatsoever. They know eventually they'll get the ball back because we're not playing at pace, then just ping the ball back down our end and off they go, looking like they'll score with every attack.

Let's see if our kids will get promoted, I really am holding on to some desperate hope here!
As I said, the only stats that matter, is our points total and from our offensive POV, how many we've scored and that's better than all but five other PL clubs..

The aerial threat is Richi and what we don;t want is to subscribe to the land of the giants type approach, what we do need is a credible alternative to play through the middle when he can't. We're not going to play swinging in long hopeful crosses except when necessary. If you think we should, we'd have to drop Ange ball.

I much prefer teams not to be scared of us, underestimate us at your peril. Both Johnson and Werner have terrific pace, we haven't seen enough of Johnson's pace, as he had almost no proper pre-season - I expect that next season you'll see a huge improvement in him.

Goals have come from everywhere, that's Ange ball, that's what defences can't easily deal with - hence our excellent goal tally, YOu have to have smarts in the PL, and tis is one of the way Ange ball can work and has done.

As I said, the only stats that matter, is our points total and from our offensive POV, how many we've scored and that's better than all but five other PL clubs..

The aerial threat is Richi and what we don;t want is to subscribe to the land of the giants type approach, what we do need is a credible alternative to play through the middle when he can't. We're not going to play swinging in long hopeful crosses except when necessary. If you think we should, we'd have to drop Ange ball.

I much prefer teams not to be scared of us, underestimate us at your peril. Both Johnson and Werner have terrific pace, we haven't seen enough of Johnson's pace, as he had almost no proper pre-season - I expect that next season you'll see a huge improvement in him.

Goals have come from everywhere, that's Ange ball, that's what defences can't easily deal with - hence our excellent goal tally, YOu have to have smarts in the PL, and tis is one of the way Ange ball can work and has done.

I agree, and it can improve again with some deeper players capable of playing the mid-range passes. The short, crisp pass and move stuff sort of works already and will get even better.

There's no excuse for having set-piece defensive stats on par with the bottom sides though.

I hope you are right, I really do.

Sadly, the lack of respect that's come our way this season has been totally justified and been outplayed or battered badly by teams who are seen as close rivals, or far lower in the league.

Whether it's pretty passing and finishing off slick moves with patterns of play, ugly winning with big bruising players bundling in balls from set pieces or crosses, quick counters or something else entirely, we just seem like we've got no cutting edge right now.

As for Johnson or Werner not getting enough of the ball, well that's apparently down to our midfield dossing around on the ball like they're hoping the opposition's defence will do us a favour and not get back into a defensive shape.

We're limping over the finish line, I can't wait for next season when this new dawn can finally begin!

I agree, and it can improve again with some deeper players capable of playing the mid-range passes. The short, crisp pass and move stuff sort of works already and will get even better.

There's no excuse for having set-piece defensive stats on par with the bottom sides though.
In my opinion, this is where we've missed Dier and Kane massively.

Hi LC this has been my bug bear for quite some time, 2 wing backs, 2 wingers, yet no one in the middle to cross it to, Son is, too scared to challange for anything either aerial or put the the foot in dangerous areas, so we're left 'fanning about' the 18 yrd box, as, PY says trying to score the perfect goal, threading the ball thru a needle, it ain't working just now.