Bishop Injury? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Bishop Injury?

Any news on the lastest episode of tedsailments?
Is it the back injury again? Is he another midfielder out for the season?
No mention in the press conference (thanks hortin).

Sure I read somewhere he's touch and go for Saturday but Reeco out, though he might be okay for Portsmouth

I have a feeling that Bishop's missing just about the two most important games of our season (Wigan and Oxford) will mean that he will not be offered a new contract in the summer. As happened with Walsh, the club will be looking to bring in someone who can play 30-40 games a season. With Walsh, for example, they brought in Paudie instead.

That would be the right decision for me. As good as Bishop can be, how can we expect Skoobs to prepare tactically during the week for the Saturday opponents when he can't be 100% sure what his starting midfield will be?

Yes, I know we have Hamilton and McGrandles with long term injuries, but at least the coach knows they will definitely be out. With a player like Bishop, I doubt Skoobs knows until the Friday each week whether Bishop is going to be fit enough to start.

Talented player, but badly let down at this level unfortunately by his body.

I have a feeling that Bishop's missing just about the two most important games of our season (Wigan and Oxford) will mean that he will not be offered a new contract in the summer. As happened with Walsh, the club will be looking to bring in someone who can play 30-40 games a season. With Walsh, for example, they brought in Paudie instead.

That would be the right decision for me. As good as Bishop can be, how can we expect Skoobs to prepare tactically during the week for the Saturday opponents when he can't be 100% sure what his starting midfield will be?

Yes, I know we have Hamilton and McGrandles with long term injuries, but at least the coach knows they will definitely be out. With a player like Bishop, I doubt Skoobs knows until the Friday each week whether Bishop is going to be fit enough to start.

So presumably you will be grateful McGrandles in going back soon, and want to get rid of

Hamilton, Mandroiu, Hackett, House and Jackson

who have all played less than Bishop this season.

Bishop has played 30-40 matches in 3 of the last 4 season....although I assume you want someone like Regan Poole who is robust and will play every game

.....unless of course he misses nearly all of the season with an ACL injury.

There's been 136 League games played by us since Teddy arrived. He's been part of 93 of them. That's just under 70% of games. This year he's featured in 33 out of the 44 currently played. That's not too shabby a record and certainly fits your between 30 and 40 requirement

There's been 136 League games played by us since Teddy arrived. He's been part of 93 of them. That's just under 70% of games. This year he's featured in 33 out of the 44 currently played. That's not too shabby a record and certainly fits your between 30 and 40 requirement
Some dont like facts to get in the way of a perceived narrative.

Teddy's been a key part of the form of recent weeks. Notwithstanding his current issues the coaching, sports science, physios etc have done a good job to get Teddy on the pitch to influence games as he has.

Bishop is fragile, and he is getting older.

Football is a ruthless game. The question for the club has to be: is there another player out there with similar ability who can play more regularly?

Bishop is fragile, and he is getting older.

Football is a ruthless game. The question for the club has to be: is there another player out there with similar ability who can play more regularly?
Be plenty with less ability who can play more regularly ….

I think you realise that is not the same discussion.
Why do I?

It's what you do on the pitch, when you are on it that matters?

If you get taken off regularly after 70/80 minutes which will happen with 7 available subs, playing 90 minutes is pretty meaningless as a statistics?

What about Bishop played in 15 of the 16 match unbeaten run...

I think that may be a more relevant statistic

but you only have to look at the matches to realise there aren't lots of players as good as Bishop who will be available to us.

Totally agree with mike and have never changed my stance in the Bishop situation.

I like him, he's a great footballer but he is also one of those players that must be a nightmare for the coach because when he's fit and on song he's one of the first on the team sheet, but unfortunately for Teddy he's never been able to get a real run of consistent selection in the team because of the amount of injuries he has picked up.

No doubt you can manipulate the figures to suit your narrative but 17 starts in 3 seasons is way below what you would expect from a coach for one of you senior players. I would think based on that it not be a wise football or business decision to be offering him a new contract especially because he will be a high earner in the squad and the return you are getting on your investment is negligible and that money could be spent a lot more wisely.

Harsh, maybe but he is not getting any younger and his body will only deteriorate faster as he gets older so for me it would be purely from a business sense taking in his previous appearance record and the amount of time he has been out injured or only fit enough for the bench that we don't offer him a new contract.

Just as a comparison how many 90 minutes has Joe Taylor played for Lincoln.

I make it 1 in 17 matches.

Taylor is a different senorio Chimp.
He is a young player currently at a Premier League club who is just setting out on his football journey.

He has come to us on loan to gain experience and continue to learn his trade and get match time experience.

He's done brilliant for us and scored some very important goals but still has an awful lot to learn and that is why he his here.

He has not been taken off or has not started games because of injury and is then out for 5 or 6 games, he has mostly been substituted for tactical reasons which is part and parcel of the game whoever you are.

Taylor is a different senorio Chimp.
He is a young player currently at a Premier League club who is just setting out on his football journey.

He has come to us on loan to gain experience and continue to learn his trade and get match time experience.

He's done brilliant for us and scored some very important goals but still has an awful lot to learn and that is why he his here.

He has not been taken off or has not started games because of injury and is then out for 5 or 6 games, he has mostly been substituted for tactical reasons which is part and parcel of the game whoever you are.
Yeh I know all that about Taylor.

But you need to decide if you want to try to win things or not. Good players win games and we now have some good players.

We have some good players injured Hackett, Montsma, Hamilton, McGrandles, Walker, Bishop and have had others Mandroiu, House out at various times.

...but if one good player gets injured and you have another one, you will be okay.

Mandroiu or Moylan or whoever will step in.

Now more than ever, we can cope with 30 odd lots of 70 minutes of Bishop, interspersed with 25 lots of 70 minutes from Mandroiu and so on.

It's about good players...and Bishop is a good player.

By contrast...we have Ali Smith a player who will probably play 50 games on the trot and be not quite good enough.

Just ask yourself Bishop or Ali Smith most likely to help us beat Portsmouth...

...and that will apply next season.

The only worry I have is will he get a better offer.

..and therein lies the problem. Money🤔🫣. The modern football game is a squad game. Successful clubs need to have enough players to field almost two elite teams to be successful. Generally speaking you need money to achieve that - we don’t have that kind of money, which is why we have the strategy and players we currently have. It might change one day, but for the time being …

I think the key word is part. Very rarely completes 90 minutes and is one of the highest earners. If he stays then his contract should reflect he rarely completes 90 minutes.

Does anyone have comparative stats for Moylan, Smith, Hamilton, and Mandriou in terms of starts?

I also think you can probably count any 85th minute or later sub as either a time waster or sticking an extra defender on to protect a lead and not a comment on Bishop’s fitness.

I would keep the lad. I don’t think there’s anyone else we could get at this level who is able to drive forwards as he can and get us up the pitch. (I also think we will keep him)

Taylor being subbed every game is very strange he certainly doesn't looked injured and was absolutely furious on Saturday when subbed.
House stays on and looking like he's struggling.

If I was a sports journalist covering the Imps I'd asking why he's subbed, is it just to bring on fresh legs upfront?