Interesting News Around the Football League | Page 27 | Vital Football

Interesting News Around the Football League

I think it's too early to tell if that is true. A full reckoning will come once the retained list is released and it becomes clear what liabilities he has left the club with versus promising players brought in. I'd be surprised if they challenge next season.

I’ll be very surprised too as under Evens they punched above their weight. They were heading out the league when he came in and he got them promoted in his first full season.

He can’t have left Rotherham in that bad a position either if they are keen to have him back. Odious he might be on a personal level but he is undeniable a top manager at this level.

It’s hardly the same as when he left Gills though. Their fans are grateful for him saving them from being relegated to non league, then getting promoted to league 1, and then being among the top six for most of this season, only recently tailed off.
I could see him trying to sign some of their best players for Rotherham in the summer though.
Agree. But the point I was seeking to make was that Evans rarely stays at any club for long. Can't blame him looking out for number one. Stevenage fans may alter their positive opinion when Rotherham poach their best players in the summer!

Agree. But the point I was seeking to make was that Evans rarely stays at any club for long. Can't blame him looking out for number one. Stevenage fans may alter their positive opinion when Rotherham poach their best players in the summer!
Yes it seems that his methods only work for about 2 seasons, then he looks to move on, if only he’d left after his second season at Priestfield!

It’s hardly the same as when he left Gills though. Their fans are grateful for him saving them from being relegated to non league, then getting promoted to league 1, and then being among the top six for most of this season, only recently tailed off.
I could see him trying to sign some of their best players for Rotherham in the summer though.
Big V Oliver off to Rotherham then 😂

Bit tinpot from Stevenage just letting him leave like that.

Would have made far more sense to deny the approach and then sack him about three weeks later, giving him a nice juicy pay off.

lol very good Nibbles........would be even funnier if it hadn't cost us a few quid.

I didn’t mind the direct football, particularly when we had an effective high press. He never got the midfield combinations right, but that seems to be a Gillingham thing.

The interaction with fans was actually a strong point of his.

But as others have said, his behaviour was beyond getting us an advantage, it was downright cringeworthy and disgusting. Officials and opposing coaches shouldn’t be subject to that shit.

Not to mention treating senior players like dirt if he wanted them off the payroll. He was a very short-term answer. People around the club say he damaged the spirit and culture, which to me is far worse than a couple of top 10 punching seasons and weekly addresses from the ‘gaffa’.

I watch his career and the plight of his clubs with mild amusement. Immediate joy and accepting/liking his actions, before seeing it go to shit in a couple of years when he leaves them in the lurch.

Don't give a flying one about Evans. Never wanted him at Gills. Never liked the Neanderthal football we played under him and found his histrionics on the sidelines embarrassing.
Likewise, I found his touch line antics repulsive but I must admit to liking the football under him.
Get it forward quickly and load it into the box.
A centre forwards dream.

Wherever he goes he’s on a limited shelf life and as a fan you know it will become an us against the world mentality within his huge popularity 😆😆😆