MATCH THREAD v Newcastle 12-30 kick off 13/4 away | Page 17 | Vital Football

MATCH THREAD v Newcastle 12-30 kick off 13/4 away

It was as poor a performance as we've seen in a long time.

It was gut-wrenching even. During the game, I was messaging 80 and vice versa. What struck me the most is yet again a complete lack of leadership when it matters most.

No leadership, no intelligence on display from back to front. Spurs showed lots of possession, it was foreplay, but no penetration. Tactically, they knew their game plan and executed it; our players looked lost around their box and over-played again and again.

Calls for Ange to be sacked are silly. We need stability, but he needs to show he can sort this shambles out now and show that he does know how to approach these games that is more than just do the same as we did last week and the week before that.

A lot of players let themselves and him down badly and that's a bigger concern to me.
Ex, yr second para, spot-on but I highlite the line "show that he does know how to approach these games that is more than just do the same as we did last week and the week before that".
Unfortunately, he doesn't know and I'm convinced he doesn't believe This football philosophy is ingrained even thru the Australia team tenure (u should have heard what some of those guys said following his resignation),
Ach is out-of-his-depth at this level of football and its sad, I do "feel" for the poor sod. He does have character flaws (don't we all) which I won't expand on that are prevalent in his management style but at street level he's a cobber.

Ange himself places great emphasis on making overall progress rather than having specific targets. I think most will agree that since Christmas we have gone backwards rather than progress which is what disappoints many.
I do agree, but we have to put this in context - absences, both forced and unforced, the on going effects of some bad injuries - I could go on and on, but I won't as the progress is still in my mind there to see.

I do agree, but we have to put this in context - absences, both forced and unforced, the on going effects of some bad injuries - I could go on and on, but I won't as the progress is still in my mind there to see.
I keep trying to convince myself of the same but my belief is waning!

I agree Pompey. They are far too lightweight. I think you can say the same about the midfield since Christmas as well. They have been bullied far too easily.
HH I didn't mention the midfield, though I see it exactly as you do, but to a degree they do have reasons/excuse's, injuries, illness's, not fit enough, but these excuse's could also lead to a type of fear! and I think that is bloody obvious and is standing out like a sore thumb.

At the moment our so called 1st choice midfielders are a bunch of weaklings, wusses!

Think the sandy beach holidays are a beckoning.

But the tactics just aren't the main problem - they are being undermined by other frailties. How many of the goals scored against us were unforced errors? How easily were our players bullied when in possession? Is the dire form of so many players a tactical thing?

The machine cannot work if all the cogs are rusted. The tactics aren't perfect - far from it - but I expect that at this stage. What I simply cannot get is why the players have slumped so badly. Is it fitness? Have so many long term injuries taken their toll?
Wiv you there Matic 100%, but as per normal the coach gets all the blame, as you say you have to look at the cogs, players.

What is really needed in our team, on the pitch, is a Bloody Strong Big Mouthed leader, bring back DM, but also! why cannot our on field chaps see something ain't right? and do summat about it, oh thats it no Bloody leader or brains, it aint our fault Guv!

When Pep first took over at Barcelona one of the 1st things that he realised was that he needed to find a way to stop teams counter attacking them so easily. Once he nailed that they and he were pretty much unstoppable.

For me it’s what the best do. They see weaknesses and rectify them. They adapt in order to progress.

At this moment in time it’s the glaring weakest I can see in Ange. He appears unwilling or unable to adapt.

The comparison to Arsenal and Arteta is fair but even Arteta adapted. For much of this season they have been far more solid at the expense of their attacking football (particularly earlier in the season)

Neither City or Arsenal have completely bossed teams this season. At times, they’ve defended well and ground out results.

Unless we build this into our team, I fail to see how we will progress.

For now, I’m keeping the faith but I really hope to see some lessons learnt over the next few games.

Madders needs better protection. By that i mean from our own midfielders. We're all well aware of the lack of protection he receives from the officials, it's been well documented by many during the course of the season. Even so, he still needs to work harder.

Yves is a busted flush. I take no pleasure in saying that at all believe me. It just hasn't worked out for him here & that happens unfortunately.

Our set piece coach needs a roasting & i mean a proper roasting. What the f**k was that again today?
You mean we have a set piece coach?

Dinlow ere! watched the game again, so many points to register but here are a couple.....

We dominated but made no headway, but before they scored with VdV playing the Dieing Swan, not once but twice, we had 2 decent chances both falling to the same player, you know who you are, if those had been scored it would have been a completely different game, I think/hope lol!

But once they scored we lost every 50/50, every second ball, showed how soft we can be, basically gave up.

NU wanted the ball more than we did, we were like Rabbits in Headlights or even only had to turn up.

2 weeks to the NLD, I bet a completely different team turns up!
I have got my hard hat on lol!

I accept that no one wants Ange sacked but I suspect that Levy will have no choice, either at the end of this season or at some point mid way through next season. We know Ange will not change which will mean some serious beatings in our next few games. Arsenal will absolutely hammer us. I imagine they will score at least three from set pieces alone never mind the amount of times they will expose our complete lack of a Plan B and Ange’s complete unwillingness to change anything. Likewise Liverpool. Both of these teams will come up with a simple plan to beat us as Eddie Howe did yesterday. Will will shrink as we always do at Chelsea.
Yesterday’s performance was so embarrassing. Newcastle at St James Park let us have the ball, kept it reasonably tight at the back, waited for a mistake and with one simple pass exposed our non existent organisation at the back. 72% possession and four times the number of passes as Newcastle is nothing but a reflection of a coach who had a plan and who knew what he was doing and another one who is sadly out of his depth at this level. The comical non defending of set pieces is another reflection of a manager who is starting to look like a rabbit in the headlights at this level. I’m sad to say it but the Big Ange dream is turning into a nightmare and his days are numbered.

I accept that no one wants Ange sacked but I suspect that Levy will have no choice, either at the end of this season or at some point mid way through next season. We know Ange will not change which will mean some serious beatings in our next few games. Arsenal will absolutely hammer us. I imagine they will score at least three from set pieces alone never mind the amount of times they will expose our complete lack of a Plan B and Ange’s complete unwillingness to change anything. Likewise Liverpool. Both of these teams will come up with a simple plan to beat us as Eddie Howe did yesterday. Will will shrink as we always do at Chelsea.
Yesterday’s performance was so embarrassing. Newcastle at St James Park let us have the ball, kept it reasonably tight at the back, waited for a mistake and with one simple pass exposed our non existent organisation at the back. 72% possession and four times the number of passes as Newcastle is nothing but a reflection of a coach who had a plan and who knew what he was doing and another one who is sadly out of his depth at this level. The comical non defending of set pieces is another reflection of a manager who is starting to look like a rabbit in the headlights at this level. I’m sad to say it but the Big Ange dream is turning into a nightmare and his days are numbered.
I find myself repeating myself once again lol! We rely so heavily on VDV to cover, when he's not on it, or slips as he did twice yesterday we are exposed - Romero just can't seem to read the game lately and rarely covers. Udogie is tying himself in knots and rarely back where he needs to me - and Porro yesterday just looked like he didn't know what to do - no wonder he was claimed to be injured.

We have no leadership in defence and our midfield is porous at the moment, it is gut wrenchingly frustrating for me. These things can get fixed via a slightly different tactical approach from home - assuming we prepare on the training pitch, which Eric said we never did/do...

Is it going to be possible to teach an old dog new tricks.