The Official Crewe Alexandra Match Thread (Sponsored by Pink Snooker Balls "for all your six point needs") | Page 8 | Vital Football

The Official Crewe Alexandra Match Thread (Sponsored by Pink Snooker Balls "for all your six point needs")

It was more sleep repeat. Seen today's type performances so many time this season, a lack of creativity added to a lack of any real goal threat. Today was another day of prolonging the agony. If by some miracle we make the playoffs, its going to be a hard watch.

Think BG is going to have to spend and hope the recruitment is waaaaaaay better in attacking areas than it has been.

Going forward into next season i wouldn't be in any hurry to keep any of our attacking players. None of Williams, Lapslie or Mahoney have delivered anywhere near what we'd need to get out of this division and in the striking area I'd only be looking to keep Andrews of the current lot.

If we're going seriously challenge next season we're going to have to not only up our chances created by also taken.

Do I have faith we'll recruit what's needed? In a word, no, judging by what we've recruited so far in attacking areas. Hopefully SC will get to choose who he wants as what we've recruited so far, which has presumably been other people choices have been way off what we need.

IMO to turn us into challengers is going to require a big spend.
Thought Lapslie put a lot of effort in today & won a lot of half chance tackles.
We are not street wise, don't roll in agony when tackled & are not as physical as most teams. Sadly, the referees in our league don't give us the benefit. Today Crewe wasted time after time before he eventually took action, after speaking to them. Why not simply book them for wasting time?

I thought we played ok today, albeit didn't create much. was only one team deserved to win. I may be in a minority but I like Lapslie, made some good runs today, always looking to make things happen. Maybe needs better players around him.
I'm a lapslie fan too. I like the way he gets at opposition defenders . He gets a foot in when tracking back and trys to make positive runs and as you say make things happen rather than waiting for them to happen. No idea what he did to piss off the ref today but while Crew were able to each rip a bit off Hawkins shirt and get away with it, if lapslie gave them so much as a hard stare he was penalised.

I was given the opportunity to go a bit exec and to be honest I really enjoyed it. Entry into the Grand Hall at 1pm, 3–course meal half an hour later (although our desert was eventually served after the final whistle!). Shannon made an effort to visit every table by the looks of it!

Back to the Grand Hall for half time and full time. Pre-game interview with Simon King and post-game interview with MotM Masterson.

IMG_6563.jpeg

IMG_6564.jpeg

IMG_6568.jpeg

IMG_6566.jpeg

IMG_6577.jpeg

Lot of negativity on social media tonight from the usual suspects. Just checked the L2 table. We are 7th. In the play offs positions. And drew a tight game against one of our rivals who are now one place above us but who are a better side than us because they have 6 more points.

May be I can be labelled an apologist or a happy clapper. But I prefer perspective & an honest reality check based upon the actual facts.
Today's game was an indictment of League Two. The sixth and seventh best teams - and both were rubbish.

That wasn’t a bad game, a disappointing result yes, but you can’t fault the effort again. If we had scored by the end we’d all be waxing lyrical about how fantastic it was.

The result does us no favours but results elsewhere mean it’s not quite time to pre-order new dry bed sheets. Their keeper made two top quality saves while I struggle to remember anything that Morris had to do. They came for a point and got it, fair play.

Lapslie was my MOTM by the way, excellent breaking through and trying to play others in against a very resilient side.

Shame Andrew’s wasn’t fit when we signed him looked a real handful today
Thought Crewe were there for the taking expected them to be much more of a threat
But whatever you thought of the game this standard of official is beyond embarrassing
Crewe milked him like a cow the decision for a foul by Hawkins when two of their players had hold of his shirt summed it up absolutely shocking
Need to win most of our games now which will take some doing just find this season so disappointing after the second half of last season
Still onwards and upwards and please can we have some capable officials

I enjoyed the game but was frustrated by our lack of creativity and disappointed with the result. I was surprised that Crewe looked so ordinary.

Player ratings

Morris did what little he had to do very competently. [6]

Hutton started well, working with Mahoney attacking down the right but faded and spent most of his time defending. [5].

Clark was steady enough but doesn't offer much going forward. [5]

Ehmer had a really solid game [7] and, for me, just shaded MotM from Masterson [7] along with a decent contribution from Coleman [6].

I really wish that the midfield four could all play well at the same time. I thought Lapslie had one of his best home games [7] but did it on a day when Dieng (5), Mahoney (5 overall after a good start) and Williams (4) had an off day.

Hawkins was manhandled as always but mostly by just one ordinary sized marker instead of two big lumps. as a result he won a lot of headers and despite his lack of pace looked a half-decent target man. I thought it was his best game this season [7] but his efforts came to nothing as he lacked any support going forward.

Josh Andrews looks the real deal at L2 level and should be great next season. I can't see Walker or Clarke playing for us much longer. Malone did ok but didn't offer enough to make any difference.

On this display I can't see us getting the points required to keep 7th place and even if we do I'd not be confident of us making it to Wembley.

This is the harsh reality of L2. Lots of endeavour but overall a lack of real quality. Do wonder how much the blustery conditions affected the game.
That's always been Div 4. That's why I can't wait to get out of it.
Sheer hard work is how you make up for lack of skill. I do think the skill and fitness levels have gone up in the last 50 years but everything is relative

Crewe were happy with the 0-0 as its keeps them the same number of points above us and harms our chances of reaching the playoffs.
The ref never got a handle of their time-wasting as the paltry 1 additional minute in the first half and 4 in the second half showed.
Why do we never get the 10 mins injury time at Priestfield you see in the Premier League and at Wrexham, when they need a late goal to win, week after week?
I felt towards the end Clemence became more afraid of losing the game so we didn’t more throw players forward as we have done in previous home matches looking for a winner.

Crewe were happy with the 0-0 as its keeps them the same number of points above us and harms our chances of reaching the playoffs.
The ref never got a handle of their time-wasting as the paltry 1 additional minute in the first half and 4 in the second half showed.
Why do we never get the 10 mins injury time at Priestfield you see in the Premier League and at Wrexham, when they need a late goal to win, week after week?
I felt towards the end Clemence became more afraid of losing the game so we didn’t more throw players forward as we have done in previous home matches looking for a winner.
To be fair to Clemence you can see why he doesn’t want to throw forwards on if we’re stuck with pelt like Walker. Williams, Lapslie and Mahoney didn’t work, and with hindsight we needed Mahoney to come off the bench.

Still, hopefully they’ll all be gone in the Summer👍

Watched the game on i-follow.

First ten to fifteen minutes we looked really good, such a shame we didn't score during that period of pressure. Crewe defended well though.

Then Crewe had a little spell of pressure but our defence was solid.

After that it seemed that little happened and that both teams were frequently misplacing passes. Can't explain why, possibly the blustery conditions.

We really needed all 3 points, Crewe were very obviously content to take a point.

Biggest disappointment after the failure to win was the lack of noise I could hear coming from the RE. Last Saturday I could hear the 200 Gills at Morecambe clearly. Yet a full RE in a crucial end of season game and I barely noticed them.

I keep reading comments from our fans criticising the team or the management or the recruitment but what about our role? Can't help wondering what might have happened out on the pitch if the RE had played their part better yesterday.

Doubt this post will go down well. It's easy to criticise but not so easy to be criticised.

Last edited:
Watched the game on i-follow ..........

...... Biggest disappointment after the failure to win was the lack of noise I could hear coming from the RE. Last Saturday I could hear the 200 Gills at Morecambe clearly. Yet a full RE in a crucial end of season game and I barely noticed them.

I keep reading comments from our fans criticising the team or the management or the recruitment but what about our role? Can't help wondering what might have happened out on the pitch if the RE had played their part better yesterday.

The pitch side mic's must have been turned down Budd'.

There was a decent atmosphere yesterday and not just in the RE. The GRS was a lot more vocal than usual.

Considering it was a game with very little action in either 18 yard box I thought the crowd did play their part.

The pre-match rendition of Last Waltz - which normally makes me cringe - was pretty decent too.

Apparently Jorge Hurtado was at the game with the squad yesterday and out mingling with the players on field after the final whistle.

Should we get our hopes raised that he might return before end of season?

First ten to fifteen minutes we looked really good, such a shame we didn't score during that period of pressure. Crewe defended well though.

After that it seemed that little happened and that both teams were frequently misplacing passes. Can't explain why, possibly the blustery conditions.

We really needed all 3 points, Crewe were very obviously content to take a point.

Biggest disappointment after the failure to win was the lack of noise I could hear coming from the RE. Last Saturday I could hear the 200 Gills at Morecambe clearly. Yet a full RE in a crucial end of season game and I barely noticed them.

Doubt this post will go down well. It's easy to criticise but not so easy to be criticised.
Fair comment. Very difficult to get the RE fired up despite the roaring start with Last Waltz. Have a feeling we were all feeling a tad too nervous.

Apparently Jorge Hurtado was at the game with the squad yesterday and out mingling with the players on field after the final whistle.

Should we get our hopes raised that he might return before end of season?
Yes he was and has started to train on grass. Might be a bit late to dream of his promotion clinching winner at Wembley.

The pitch side mic's must have been turned down Budd'.

There was a decent atmosphere yesterday and not just in the RE. The GRS was a lot more vocal than usual.

Considering it was a game with very little action in either 18 yard box I thought the crowd did play their part.

The pre-match rendition of Last Waltz - which normally makes me cringe - was pretty decent too.

Ok, that's reassuring to hear, '69.

I did hear the Last Waltz, tbf.

I just remember thinking, with about 15 minutes left to play, "come on RE, make some noise and suck that ball in!", but neither the noise nor the goal materialised.

And that did (to me at least) seems to contrast with the noise I could hear coming from the away section at Morecambe when we losing 2-1 and appearing dead and buried.

Maybe it's just me but I find that our support away from home is far better than our support at home. The last game I attended was the game against Tranmere (been out of UK since then) and the attitude of supporters around me pissed me off quite a bit. Constantly criticising the players and making snide comments. The two pricks in front of me repeatedly trying to get the, "You're nothing special, we lose every week" chant going.

But if it was all positivity and vocal support and encouragement yesterday then I'm very pleased to hear it (even though I didn't because the mics were turned down or whatever!).

Fair comment. Very difficult to get the RE fired up despite the roaring start with Last Waltz. Have a feeling we were all feeling a tad too nervous.

Yes, that's fair comment too.

But if the RE were feeling nervous and that's mitigation Shirley that must apply to the players too?

Obviously the noise from the crowd and the performance from the players on the pitch is a symbiotic thing. I get it that when things aren't happening on the pitch it's more difficult for the crowd to rouse themselves. But maybe if the RE had managed it the players might have responded. Sometimes the RE must rake the initiative.

Last edited:

No the RE were very loud as they usually are, but because we hadn't scored it tends to fluctuate as the frustration grows. We had a 12 year old chatterbox with us in the RE yesterday, and it was impossible to talk to her sometimes because of the noise. There's obviously something wrong with the radio transition, unless you nodded off!