The Unai Emery Thread | Page 219 | Vital Football

The Unai Emery Thread

It's mental when I see all these random stats and we're 4th in everything. I am watching Generation xG which is a show on NBC in the States. They're ripping United apart but they show the current top 6 and we're 4th in shots conceded per game vs. the other clubs too.

4th in goals scored, conceded and goal difference. 4th most wins, jointed 4th for losses.

It's mental when I see all these random stats and we're 4th in everything. I am watching Generation xG which is a show on NBC in the States. They're ripping United apart but they show the current top 6 and we're 4th in shots conceded per game vs. the other clubs too.

4th in goals scored, conceded and goal difference. 4th most wins, jointed 4th for losses.
Stars have aligned maybe.

Siesta Time ?
Is it true that the team are having a massive Spanish lunch at half time and are then looking for a siesta at the start of the 2nd half?
It's been quite clear in several matches now that they are regularly collectively 'asleep' for 20 minutes after half time.

Also we appear to have gone back to the old habit of giving away fouls and corners that our 'midgets' cannot defend. If only Hause could actually play football as well as a guitar we could perhaps head the hoofed free kick / corner away.

Like most I hope he will be around for a long time. One thing I can’t get past is, the people he’s brought with him… he will have to have sold Aston Villa and the project to them as much as anyone. I think for him to up and leave anytime soon, would be unthinkable for him. I can’t imagine many if any clubs could gaurantee he can take Damian with him, Monchi et al. Pau must expect him to be here at least a couple of seasons minimum.

I’m not saying he will never leave, but I’d be really shocked if he’d even be tempted by Bayern this summer, for example.

He talks a lot about the premier league being the best league, he wants to prove himself here no doubt.

I think right now a lot of clubs have Emery in the running for up coming vacancies - but significantly I don't think he is anyone's firm number 1 choice ......yet ..

I wonder if it's information overload at half time and they come back out still trying to digest what the Sultan has just said to them?

I wonder if it's information overload at half time and they come back out still trying to digest what the Sultan has just said to them?
I'm sure nobody understands him, it's a good job the lads speak many different languages so between them they decipher what he wants. Perhaps his English is easy to understand if you don't speak English.
I just pick words out of what he says and piece together the gist of it .

I'm sure nobody understands him, it's a good job the lads speak many different languages so between them they decipher what he wants. Perhaps his English is easy to understand if you don't speak English.
I just pick words out of what he says and piece together the gist of it .
I would say it’s easy to understand him but you do have to concentrate. And sometimes how he says and phrases things is not perfect. It’ll only improve tho, took Pep a few years.

Watkins talked about the players knowing that they take the foot off the gas when they get two up.

My brothers were saying that there are studies about this and it actually gets worse when you make sports professionals aware of it.

One way to help mitigate it would actually be to make subs. Yesterday being an excellent example of it. Moreno and Tielemens were nearly begging to come off. They were very poor second half. Rogers and Bailey were completely out of the game around the 55/60th minute too.

I feel like Unai was trying to get them to work thru it. It would be fascinating to have a real conversation with him about things like that. He had to have seen what we saw yesterday. Why didn’t he act on it?

Some perspective. He's got a injury hit squad, that was small in the first place.
He's hasn't been given billions to strengthen the squad he inherited.

Watkins was a 10 goal a season striker - and was pretty much only a finisher a couple of seasons back.....bailey was an inconsistent winger ......

Emery has elevated these players beyond recognition and we are sitting in 4th place - 5 points clear of the team in 5th ...

To be honest what he has done here is borderline miracle working.

If he fucked up the subs yesterday - I'm going to forgive him - it's not as if we lost game ......if fact we won it .....

Some perspective. He's got a injury hit squad, that was small in the first place.
He's hasn't been given billions to strengthen the squad he inherited.

Watkins was a 10 goal a season striker - and was pretty much only a finisher a couple of seasons back.....bailey was an inconsistent winger ......

Emery has elevated these players beyond recognition and we are sitting in 4th place - 5 points clear of the team in 5th ...

To be honest what he has done here is borderline miracle working.

If he fucked up the subs yesterday - I'm going to forgive him - it's not as if we lost game ......if fact we won it .....
Agreed. And the subs won it.

I'm not sure he was poor with the subs anyway.

If anything i'd say he was a bit slow to change things 2nd half when it was obvious we were getting mauled, but he did eventually and it worked

I truly hope he knows that 98% of fans are behind and this team and it would take a significant step backwards for him to be questioned at VP by fans. Anyone following the club with any degree of intensity has to know this man is doing exactly what you said. Performing borderline miracles and because of that he gets a lot of grace from me.

I truly hope he knows that 98% of fans are behind and this team and it would take a significant step backwards for him to be questioned at VP by fans. Anyone following the club with any degree of intensity football knowledge has to know this man is doing exactly what you said. Performing borderline miracles and because of that he gets a lot of grace from me.
Fixed that mate :thumbup:

What constantly amazes me is that most of us, me included, were all coming to the conclusion that the squad was deficient, lightweight, no bottle, no brains, both under Gerrard and under Deano. Offered the job, Emery looked at our squad and clearly went "Oh yeah, I can absolutely get a tune out of them", and just look. Ollie, McGinn, Konsa, Luiz, Bailey, Buendia, Mings, Digne, even Cash - players that many (not all) thought had long hit their ceiling and needed replacing, players who (according to the press) had cost two managers their jobs, and now every single one has upped their game to levels many of us didn't think they had.

From just out of the relegation zone on goals scored to 7th in half a season. Now favourites for 4th spot and Champions League qualification with basically the same players.

How this man is not getting his praises sung from every corner tells you just how poor most of our sports journalism is in this country.

Unai is way clear win-wise of any manager in our history, we all trust him. It however doesn't mean he gets everything right and gets his fair share of luck good and bad.
Luton away was one of those he got good luck , Man Utd at home was bad luck

What constantly amazes me is that most of us, me included, were all coming to the conclusion that the squad was deficient, lightweight, no bottle, no brains, both under Gerrard and under Deano. Offered the job, Emery looked at our squad and clearly went "Oh yeah, I can absolutely get a tune out of them", and just look. Ollie, McGinn, Konsa, Luiz, Bailey, Buendia, Mings, Digne, even Cash - players that many (not all) thought had long hit their ceiling and needed replacing, players who (according to the press) had cost two managers their jobs, and now every single one has upped their game to levels many of us didn't think they had.

From just out of the relegation zone on goals scored to 7th in half a season. Now favourites for 4th spot and Champions League qualification with basically the same players.

How this man is not getting his praises sung from every corner tells you just how poor most of our sports journalism is in this country.
It does make me wonder what the baseline level of the lads was/is. Obviously, these players were not relegation standard, that was all Gerrard. Deanos time reveals one clear thing which is that recruitment was pretty solid. Tactically he was found wanting but between him and the recruitment team they did well.

In either case it doesn't matter, Unai has pushed these lads to a height they didn't even know they had. Most of us had no attachment to any of these players. How many of us would have fired up the car to take Leon wherever he wanted?

He has a funny accent and his English isn't perfect.

To be honest, I'm happy to fly under the radar. As soon as the media start paying attention to US, it will only be to sell all of our players to their favourite clubs.