Around the Grounds | Page 42 | Vital Football

Around the Grounds

I can guarantee you that their attendances, home and away, will hold up better than ours would if we were in their position, so the Schadenfreude rings a bit hollow for me. We took 600 to a local derby not so long ago.
I wouldn't bet on it. I know a Cod season ticket holder and he said they had a huge boost when Fenty went and the new owners came in.

All that feel good factor has gone and they are sick of the new owners concentrating on stuff off the pitch rather than on it and he says they will lose at least 2,000 season ticket holders next season because the team and management are so poor.

You forget they we're bobbing around 3,000 before Fenty left. They struggle to attract decent players now because they are perceived as perennial strugglers playing in an antiquated ground in the arse end of nowhere.

Looks like Scunny will have to settle for the playoffs now, with Boston improving I’d rather them get promoted.

I can guarantee you that their attendances, home and away, will hold up better than ours would if we were in their position, so the Schadenfreude rings a bit hollow for me. We took 600 to a local derby not so long ago.
I don't really see how you could possibly guarantee it. Support goes hand in hand with on field success (and I don't just mean trophy's and promotions) Grimsby may be feeling sorry for themselves when they look back at the last 25yrs but even at their lowest in the national league they were doing very well compared to us, competing at the top of end of the league,whilst our non league journey (promotion season aside) was bloody awful. I remember the season we took 600 to blunder park seeing us get hammered at home to cods at Christmas, utterly humiliated and our very next game because of the way the national league fixtures were structured was at their dump. The hard core who still turned up week after week at SB were already at an all time low and I remember thinking after the home defeat that the very last place I wanted to watch my next Imps match was at Grimsby. It gets dragged up often the 600 away thing but frankly anyone who made that journey during that low in our history during a very bad wintery weather warning deserves a medal. When the playing field is even and cods have experienced proper lows (including administration) we can make proper comparisons. There was an honest thread on the fishy last time the 600 thing was brought up by one of theirs reminding them that when they were struggling in tier 2,they often only took 500 away including to Birmingham!

Think Carlisle have got worse since the January window!
This was Carlisle's January activity:

Carlisle United
In: 8 Out: 4

In:
Goalkeeper: Harry Lewis, 26 (Bradford City)
Defender: Sean Grehan, 19 (on loan from Crystal Palace to the end of the season)
Midfielder: Josh Vela, 30 (Fleetwood Town)
Midfielder: Jack Diamond, 24 (on loan from Sunderland to the end of the season)
Midfielder: Harrison Neal, 22 (Sheffield United)
Striker: Luke Armstrong, 27 (Harrogate Town)
Striker: Georgie Kelly, 27 (Rotherham United)
Striker: Anton Dudik, 19 (free agent)

Out:
Midfielder: Owen Moxon, 26 (Portsmouth)
Striker: Joe Garner, 35 (Oldham Athletic)
Striker: Ryan Edmondson, 22 (Central Coast Mariners – Australia)
Striker: Luke Plange, 21 (end of loan from Crystal Palace)

That was a huge financial commitment - the only player heading out worth anything at all is Owen Moxon, and six of the eight arrivals are on permanent contracts.

Village Green tried the same thing last January (11 in, 5 out) and also got worse.

We better curb our fishy talk, they will accuse us of being obsessive as they approach 500 pages titled Scunthorpe 🤔
I'm refusing to go early on The Fishy........just yet. Everything crossed it continues to spiral downwards and if it does I'll be popping to Spar for my bucket of popcorn and six pack to settle down for a top night of entertainment.

And what is happening to The Hive or whatever they call their other 'new' ground? Crackers, totally crackers.

And how is an 8,000 capacity stadium being funded by a club with an average attendance of 1800? Is that a piece of pie I see in those aerial views?
As far as club owners/chairmen go Anthony Kleanthous seems to tick most of the boxes needed. He’s been owner and chairman since 1994 and certainly appears wealthy enough to fund the new ground so with 30 years of loyalty and funding the club you would think they are in safe hands. He appears to have done a hell of a good job developing The Hive complex

I can't remember why they had to leave underhill? I only went once but thoughrly loved it, oozed character. Pleased for them, every club should play it's home games... Well, at home.(even if it is a new ground).

On Grimsby, seems strange to think, after all these years, we COULD be the only league club in Lincolnshire next season

I can't remember why they had to leave underhill? I only went once but thoughrly loved it, oozed character. Pleased for them, every club should play it's home games... Well, at home.(even if it is a new ground).
I think they failed to agree a new license to play there or something and/or fell out with the Council who wouldn't make a new Stadium.

They then moved to The Hive, which is a multi-purpose site, on a 10-year lease (which must come to end soon if it hasn't already) and now the Council seem happy to have them back again!