Should we sell Son in the summer? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Should we sell Son in the summer?

Should we sell Son come the summer?

• Yes, unquestionable

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • No, he has a couple of good season left in him

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Perhaps wait another year as Ange beds his system in?

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Buy Toney

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Buy Gordon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Buy Ferguson

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
But Fergus ...absolutely. Sell Sonny....£££ Dependent, if we got a stupid sum for someone his age...yes, if not then he will (probably) be good for a few years for revenue and his day job....scoring, albeit maybe off the bench.

Sell now …. No
Sell next summer…… No
Sell ever ….. No

He is our captain , he is a role model .

He is worth more to us than money .

He has just come back from international duty and is pissed off because he thinks he has let his country down , the fans down .

He feels he didn’t fulfil his captaincy obligations .

This is the sort of person we need at the club .

He has publicly said , many times , he could have gone elsewhere , but it’s not about money .

Get him to study for his coaching badges
and give him a place in the club for as long as he wants to be here .

Eventually make him a Club Ambassador .

Do anything to keep him , although I don’t think it will need much .
He is Spurs through and through .

I am amazed anybody would want to sell him .

Some people are worth more than money .

Even when he was going through a bad patch .
So you don't like the guy Walt....😂

So if I offered you £250m for Sonny, would you take it?

There must be a tipping point even for you, where the offer on the table has more value than Son on the pitch. That's assuming we trust ourselves to spend it wisely. I guess, if we don't then we shouldn't be in this business.

Your point is well made in the other post about optimising elsewhere first though. I talk about that a lot. Having that lean squad, where the only loanees are youngsters and every first teamer has value on the pitch during a season. There's always an argument to optimise around Davies, Hojbjerg, Ndombele, Rodon etc and someone like Emerson isn't exempt. We nowhere near optimal yet, and optimising releases the case for other investment.

It is a very good question and one I'm not really sure about. £250m would clearly be impossible to turn down. For me, anything about £200m is probably the point in which I crack. Anything above £150m I'm wobbling. Anything below, I don't react.

It is a very good question and one I'm not really sure about. £250m would clearly be impossible to turn down. For me, anything about £200m is probably the point in which I crack. Anything above £150m I'm wobbling. Anything below, I don't react.

We could get Victor Osimhen for around £100-125 mill which would represent a huge upgrade; at £200 we could easily afford to pay Mbappe his outrageous salary demands and give him a £50 mill signing on Bonus...

Are you sure?!!

Sell now …. No
Sell next summer…… No
Sell ever ….. No

He has just come back from international duty and is pissed off because he thinks he has let his country down , the fans down .

He has publicly said , many times , he could have gone elsewhere , but it’s not about money .

Great post there Walt, well bloody said. COYS

Sell now …. No
Sell next summer…… No
Sell ever ….. No

Nice one Walt.

We could get Victor Osimhen for around £100-125 mill which would represent a huge upgrade; at £200 we could easily afford to pay Mbappe his outrageous salary demands and give him a £50 mill signing on Bonus...

Are you sure?!!

I think I am. The reality is always very different from buy this player for x amount, so we can buy that player for y amount. I would actually say it is incredibly unlikely we will spend anywhere near £100m to replace Son if he did leave. We are way more likely to buy a player around the £30-50m range, which should be achievable without the sale of Son.

I do understand that selling him for silly amounts would mean more money can go into the squad, but really until we have a player who is realistically going to replace his goals and assists already in the squad and doing well, we'd be mad to accept at any fee.

I think I am. The reality is always very different from buy this player for x amount, so we can buy that player for y amount. I would actually say it is incredibly unlikely we will spend anywhere near £100m to replace Son if he did leave. We are way more likely to buy a player around the £30-50m range, which should be achievable without the sale of Son.

I do understand that selling him for silly amounts would mean more money can go into the squad, but really until we have a player who is realistically going to replace his goals and assists already in the squad and doing well, we'd be mad to accept at any fee.
If you took that view, you'd never bet on a clear upgrade then?!

I don't think we are that team. In the PL era, we do our best when we pick up the players just before they become 'a clear upgrade.' The purchasing of clear upgrades doesn't have to be big money, it just needs to have a bit of forward planning. I believe we are now doing this.
There is coming a time, when clear upgrades for big numbers will be within our reach, and it's not that far away, but to make it work, you have to be ruthless and successful - which maybe a chicken and the egg situation, what's clear to me when you look at the business of football, you have to be ruthless.

I hope that we don't live in the past.

Last edited:
Its interesting to see Richarlison scoring under Ange but I'm not that keen on him as a striker, for me Son is much more accurate up front. So if we get rid of anyone, get rid of Richarlison out of the two. Having said that though, I do see Richarlison as a useful midfielder and active playmaker. I would add to that though that Son needs to toughen up and be more aggressive.

I don't think we are that team. In the PL era, we do our best when we pick up the players just before they become 'a clear upgrade.' The purchasing of clear upgrades doesn't have to be big money, it just needs to have a bit of forward planning. I believe we are now doing this.
There is coming a time, when clear upgrades for big numbers will be within our reach, and it's not that far away, but to make it work, you have to be ruthless and successful - which maybe a chicken and the egg situation, what'a clear to me when you look at the business of football, you have to be ruthless.

I hope that we don't live in the past.
With the Premier League seemingly likely to adopt EUFA's squad cost control rule, I wonder if we should be even considering big money transfers any more?

Signing a player for north of £80m probably carries a salary commitment of at least £300k a week.

Relative to our turnover (even our significantly increased turnover) that's still a sizeable chunk on one player.

As it is I think the days of carrying squad players are coming to an end. Financially lean and mean squads are the future.

Its interesting to see Richarlison scoring under Ange but I'm not that keen on him as a striker, for me Son is much more accurate up front. So if we get rid of anyone, get rid of Richarlison out of the two. Having said that though, I do see Richarlison as a useful midfielder and active playmaker. I would add to that though that Son needs to toughen up and be more aggressive.
I've thought a lot of things about Richarlison, Welshtel, but I have to say I've never considered him as a 'useful midfielder and active playmaker.' Lol.

Son is 31 - soon to be 32; he's too old to 'toughen up' now.

Son can play as a false 9, but Richi is a true no.9 but with a phenomenal workrate now that he is fit., and at times is involved in more defensive actions then you'd first warrant, but it is still more than Son.

Richi is 26 and has not peaked.

As of now, and the rest of the season maybe the telling comparison, selling him wouldn't appear to be a smart thing to do.

Good to hear from you Welshtel, how are you doing?

As a person, Sonny is a likeable guy and I have zero issues with him on that front.

As a player he is ok, not great. My honestly opinion, which has remained constant through the years is that that he is too one-dimensional and not an all around great player. What made Kane special was that even when not scoring he was arguably our best passer of the ball as well and even was decent at defending set plays. Sonny simply doesn't possess that skillset. Against tougher competition who can either match his speed or simply get physical with him....he will disappear for long stretches. (to be fair he isn't alone!!!)

And no he does not have the character to be a true leader on the pitch...this isn't a bash on him....just doesn't fit his personality.

Again Sonny is a damn good dude and a fine player...but if the right offer came in, I wouldn't hesitate. (but it would necessitate an upgrade brought in...and I trust AP has his targets if this was something he was not afraid to do)

Are you sure?!!

I suspect if we got a large sum for son, any striker we went for would have 20-30% extra added onto their price too...

I suspect if we got a large sum for son, any striker we went for would have 20-30% extra added onto their price too...

That will come down to the state of the target club's finances, the skill of our recruitment team to shape the negotiations (i.e. agreeing personal terms befoe the interclub terms), and our ability to hold our nerve.

Money is tight whilst these financial rules bite, a lot of European clubs are crying blue murder at the lack of PL spending on their star players, and many of them will now be forced into selling their best assets come the summer. It's a game of chicken now - who will blink first?

I expect little, if any inflationary pressures in the summer transfer market, perhaps even deflationary ones will rule the day as clubs scramble to sell.

In the whole of Europe in January an outrageous unheard of players to the total value £1.2 billion went on loan deals, not sales, the sales values were less than a tenth of that.

In the past many European and even British clubs relied on the model of selling to stay liquid; but because of new money flooding in (China, media, Saudi) it could happen, but now is more unlikely - the media deal is now fixed, China is dead as a destination, and the prevailing wisdom is the Saudi PIF will be severely limited going forward.

We are still in a good financial position to strike hard bargains, and (as we've seen) punch above our weight.

Last edited:
That will come down to the state of the target club's finances, the skill of our recruitment team to shape the negotiations (i.e. agreeing personal terms befoe the interclub terms), and our ability to hold our nerve.

Money is tight whilst these financial rules bite, a lot of European clubs are crying blue murder at the lack of PL spending on their star players, and many of them will now be forced into selling their best assets come the summer. It's a game of chicken now - who will blink first?

I expect little, if any inflationary pressures in the summer transfer market, perhaps even deflationary ones will rule the day as clubs scramble to sell.

In the whole of Europe in January an outrageous unheard of players to the total value £1.2 billion went on loan deals, not sales, the sales values were less than a tenth of that.

In the past many European and even British clubs relied on the model of selling to stay liquid; but because of new money flooding in (China, media, Saudi) it could happen, but now is more unlikely - the media deal is now fixed, China is dead as a destination, and the prevailing wisdom is the Saudi PIF will be severely limited going forward.

We are still in a good financial position to strike hard bargains, and (as we've seen) punch above our weight.

I think there is a difference between being able to and choosing to operate at the highest end of the player market. I guess we're on the cusp of being there but if we keep polishing players to the finished article then we probably have the added benefit of shutting down the stadium debt quicker.

Osimhen is a great example of a player that we wouldn't even have considered in the past. Some concerns that he's turning into an Aubamayang, but a fantastic footballer nonetheless. Only contracted to 2026 as well.