Jorge Hurtado join on loan | Page 7 | Vital Football

Jorge Hurtado join on loan

For goodness sake guys, give the lad time a acclimatise and learn a little sign language/English unless, of course, you're ITK and have watched him play or studied all his past videos. Ogie had the same sort of scrutiny and comments when he turned up at Priestfield and look what came out of the box, a left footed defender who has cemented his place in the team by playing well (almost) every week. I'd be surprised if we saw anything more than a wee cameo every now and then during the first month or so but at least then we should have more of an idea what he has to offer.
Exactly this. He did more closing down and chasing back than most of the team have done this season. If it turns out he can score a few goals as well then happy days.

For goodness sake guys, give the lad time a acclimatise and learn a little sign language/English unless, of course, you're ITK and have watched him play or studied all his past videos.
???? - He joined Watford 3 October 2022, and has been playing in New York since August 2023. If he was serious about learning English, surely he would have by now?

Romelu Lukaku can speak 7 languages, and the top foreign players in the premiership all speak English well. Being able to converse with your teammates and manager is part of the game IMO

???? - He joined Watford 3 October 2022, and has been playing in New York since August 2023. If he was serious about learning English, surely he would have by now?

Romelu Lukaku can speak 7 languages, and the top foreign players in the premiership all speak English well. Being able to converse with your teammates and manager is part of the game IMO

Please sign the late book before you sit down.

Romelu Lukaku can speak 7 languages, and the top foreign players in the premiership all speak English well. Being able to converse with your teammates and manager is part of the game
There are a great deal of British "lads and lassies" who are almost unable to converse using reasonable English, I think that is far worse than a young Spanish speaking young man who is doing his best to make the best of the skills he has been given. Oh yes, no-one has actually confirmed that he cannot communicate.... could just be he was unsure where he should actually be playing under certain situations.

By the way, they do not speak English in New York, every one knows that and, although I am not a footballer, I speak 4 languages 3 fluently and one almost - all of which (apart from English) I took it upon myself to learn as I was working abroad. It's good fun as long as you can stop the locals speaking back to you in English if you ask is their language. Innit !!!

I now live in Norfolk and am slowly learning the language - for example Happisburgh is pronounced 'Haysborough'.

Horses for courses. Lukaku grew up in a multilingual family in Belgium, a multilingual country, and probably learnt English to a good level at school, all by the time he even started out as a professional footballer. Also, he seems like an intelligent chap and the more languages you speak, the easier it is to learn new ones.

I'm not going to speculate on Hurtado's background but it's quite possible that he never learnt English at school so it might take him a little longer to get going. He'll be fine soon enough though.

Oh yes, no-one has actually confirmed that he cannot communicate.... could just be he was unsure where he should actually be playing under certain situations.

His English "could be better", according to Kenny Jackett at last night's fan forum

Not sure if people not on Twitter can read the end of that quote where it says "Show more". Just in case they can't, the end is:

"(KJ saw him come on in the cup against Chesterfield) we felt it was worth the risk.His English could be better, picking up some choice words!"

His English "could be better", according to Kenny Jackett at last night's fan forum

Not sure if people not on Twitter can read the end of that quote where it says "Show more". Just in case they can't, the end is:

"(KJ saw him come on in the cup against Chesterfield) we felt it was worth the risk.His English could be better, picking up some choice words!"
Choice words are generally the first thing you pick up when learning any language, I speak from experience. I can speak 4 languages and can read/write three of them. I can swear in about 9 and believe me I know how to use them but could not ask anyone for directions in them. Just the way of the world I think.

Last edited:
Choice words are generally the first thing you pick up when learning any language, I speak from experience. I can speak 4 languages and can read/write three of them. I can swear in about 9 and believe me I know how to use them but could not ask anyone for directions in them. Just the way of the world I think.
I can speak five languages, have a First and Second edition of The Home of the Shouting Men, signed by Peter Beardsley and Jorge`s auntie is sending me a game worn jersey signed by Pele. Gol, gol, gol, gol and more gols.

I have a Second edition of The Home of the Shouting Men which was given to me by my mother. With it's back hostory, I am mighty proud to have in among my Gills memorabilia.

Sorry, I had to edit by my initial post was probably due to emotions and not just going along with the initial post. I apologise to anyone who may have readit before the edit!

Last edited:
I can speak five languages, have a First and Second edition of The Home of the Shouting Men, signed by Peter Beardsley and Jorge`s auntie is sending me a game worn jersey signed by Pele. Gol, gol, gol, gol and more gols.
Good to hear that a few people here can speak other languages too. Having travelled quite a bit & lived in Europe for decades I can also speak four languages and have got by in a couple of others. You'd miss out on so much if you didn't ....
I don't possess any Gills publications, but as an aside, having gone to the same school as Roger Triggs, despite his passion, he wasn't in the school team ....... (the previous thread where it was commented that he was a "Peter Crouch type player" made me chuckle ....)

Last edited:
I have a Second edition of The Home of the Shouting Men which was given to me by my mother. With it's back hostory, I am mighty proud to have in among my Gills memorabilia.

Sorry, I had to edit by my initial post was probably due to emotions and not just going along with the initial post. I apologise to anyone who may have readit before the edit!
I read it and laughed at the bluntness!

Well, myself and ‘58 regularly meet up and quote parts of HOTSM at each other in the queens head. We are the only 2 that know the true location you see. We both have original, draft, “pre-print” copies and have devised our own language to recite in.

So bollocks to you lot.

Well, myself and ‘58 regularly meet up and quote parts of HOTSM at each other in the queens head. We are the only 2 that know the true location you see. We both have original, draft, “pre-print” copies and have devised our own language to recite in.

So bollocks to you lot.
Have you taken a leaf out of my book Rob? Clearly I have been a bad influence. :cool: