The FA Cup Thread | Page 204 | Vital Football

The FA Cup Thread

No desire to win that tonight, begs the question why not just throw the kitchen sink at it at Stamford Bridge and either win it or lose it rather than bringing them back to ours for a replay we obviously didn’t want.

Last edited:
I’m not sure why cash and moreno are getting stick when they are being asked to defend, be wingers and score. If I were them I’d be saying where the bloody hell were our midfielders tonight! They were completely overrun giving freedom of the park to anyone in blue who wanted it.

I’m sure that Emery will point to his record to date, the number of wins he has clocked up, and his points average as reasons why he’ll likely continue to pick technical over tough players (although a bit of both wouldn’t go amiss).

I’m also sure that poor as recent results have been, he’s unlikely to change on the basis of those results alone.

Agree - but think that could be his weakness in the PL - as you say it's a mixture of both types of player - but the signings to date all lean towards to the technical players.

Without trying to question the Sultans ability, we could not fathom that at half time he kept the same team and shape after the break. Tielemans was totally lost trying to play behind Ollie. Our left was constantly exposed with Moreno being constantly overloaded. SJM was running around in circles leaving big gaps for them to exploit and Dougie and Kamara just didn't want to be out there.

Agree - but think that could be his weakness in the PL - as you say it's a mixture of both types of player - but the signings to date all lean towards to the technical players.

Yes and also coinciding with a pattern where it looks like opposition managers are coping better with how Emery has set Villa up.

But no-one talks about weak players after we win…

Moreno was brilliant before his injury

I honestly don't think he was - sure his skips to the byline at pace got all us out of our seats - but he's far to easily bundled off the poor, positionally he is very poor.

Hope Digne is back soon + hope we don't penny pinch and sell Luca in the summer - I couldn't stomach a whole season of Moreno at FB

Without trying to question the Sultans ability, we could not fathom that at half time he kept the same team and shape after the break. Tielemans was totally lost trying to play behind Ollie. Our left was constantly exposed with Moreno being constantly overloaded. SJM was running around in circles leaving big gaps for them to exploit and Dougie and Kamara just didn't want to be out there.

Did exactly the same versus Newcastle which is why I left early. Sheffield Utd on the weekend he made changes early which I understand as the game was done but it should work the other way too, make changes when it clearly isn’t working.

Another great cup night under the lights, so fucking overrated far too many end like that for my liking. Everyone would rather be at home in the warm.

We'd have been better playing the kids. Defeats like this with a strong team must knock our confidence.

Just woke up. Didn't see the game (4am kick off). I can't believe we lost at home to Chelsea.

Sort it out, Unai!

Well that’s another year closer to death without seeing Villa lift an FA Cup.…dreadful all over the pitch. It’s the manner of the defeat which hurts. A night to forget and once again, a big response needed on Sunday.
It's the constant lethargic slow play and then still giving the ball away that gets on my tits. No tempo to our play, surely Unai doesn't tell them to fuck about like that

I’m not sure why cash and moreno are getting stick when they are being asked to defend, be wingers and score. If I were them I’d be saying where the bloody hell were our midfielders tonight! They were completely overrun giving freedom of the park to anyone in blue who wanted it.
yep - what is our first choice midfield (and highly thought of) were all mia.

disappointing overall from all really

If I see one more fan on Twitter or one more podcaster saying it doesn't matter that we went out, that we wouldnt have won it anyway and it helps us concentrate on the league I'm sure I'll burst a blood vessel. Typical losers mentality. No wonder we haven't won anything in nearly 20 years with that attitude.
Yep, rubbish about the league isn’t it.

It’ll help us win the Conference league.

If I see one more fan on Twitter or one more podcaster saying it doesn't matter that we went out, that we wouldnt have won it anyway and it helps us concentrate on the league I'm sure I'll burst a blood vessel. Typical losers mentality. No wonder we haven't won anything in nearly 20 years with that attitude.

Nearly 30 you mean.

Maybe this is what got Emery the sack from Arsenal eventually, it all turned to rubbish. Come on Emery, get these players motivated!

Stubbornness cost him there and it may end up costing him at Villa but I think he’ll get a lot more time.

Well i hate to say i told you so @Langoe66 ...

I wish it was you telling me mind you 😔
Fucking brilliant, a crap trip up to B6 and you’re trawling through previous posts to say ’I told you so’….:clap: Well done you. I mean the rest of the team were fine weren’t they…midfield were bang at it …yep protected the back four all night long, never gave the ball away…it’s all on Diego, Lenglet and Cash. Torres and Ezri could have played tonight and the result could easily have been the same because we were so many miles off it all over the pitch.