January 2024 Transfer Window Thread | Page 5 | Vital Football

January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Nixon saying its us and Pompey in for Moxon.

Sounds like another of the same calibre of Norburn for me. Seen him on TV a couple of times and against us I didn't know which one he was for most of the game. When I twigged who he was I watched him and thought he looked bang average. Of course scouts will watch him several times, Mark him on lots of different abilities and have a final score rating for him.

Seems to me he's not happy where he is and I doubt if anyone else is in for him we will sign him. He's no Keith Southern, Charlie Adam or Andy Morrison. He's 26 now and the highest level he's played is this season in a poor L1 side. Southern was 20 when we signed him, Charlie 23 and Morrison 24, all 3 looked class straight away, very noticeable in a poor team which Moxon doesn't.

Blackpool are in talks to sign Sheffield Wednesday midfielder George Byers before the transfer window slams shut this week, TEAMtalk can exclusively reveal.

The 27-year-old is out of contract at the end of the season and the Owls could decide to cash in on him now rather than risk allowing him to leave for free in the summer.

The 27-year-old has made 22 appearances in the Championship so far this season, but he has not featured in the last three games for Wednesday.

Sounds like another of the same calibre of Norburn for me. Seen him on TV a couple of times and against us I didn't know which one he was for most of the game. When I twigged who he was I watched him and thought he looked bang average. Of course scouts will watch him several times, Mark him on lots of different abilities and have a final score rating for him.

Seems to me he's not happy where he is and I doubt if anyone else is in for him we will sign him. He's no Keith Southern, Charlie Adam or Andy Morrison. He's 26 now and the highest level he's played is this season in a poor L1 side. Southern was 20 when we signed him, Charlie 23 and Morrison 24, all 3 looked class straight away, very noticeable in a poor team which Moxon doesn't.

He's a late bloomer, was in the Scottish 3rd tier until someone spotted him and brought him to Carlisle couple of years ago. He was their standout player last year, and is (statistically) their best player this as well, but obviously in a struggling side. He also carried an injury a lot of this season.

He creates chances, that's the big thing - overall Carlisle haven't been finishing them off nearly at the rate of last year, but he fits what we're after in terms of a big unit in midfield who controls the game and creates chances for people.

He's a late bloomer, was in the Scottish 3rd tier until someone spotted him and brought him to Carlisle couple of years ago. He was their standout player last year, and is (statistically) their best player this as well, but obviously in a struggling side. He also carried an injury a lot of this season.

He creates chances, that's the big thing - overall Carlisle haven't been finishing them off nearly at the rate of last year, but he fits what we're after in terms of a big unit in midfield who controls the game and creates chances for people.
My point was he isn't standing out in a very poor team. He didn't create much against us. He didn't control the game against us and at 6' 1" he is the same height but less muscled and physical than Dougall. And maybe he only has 3 goals in 25 games, less than previous seasons because he has played in the Chip Shop League for most of his career and L1 is a big step up?

Last edited:
Definitely by the sounds of ut. In the tunnel at the end too.
On the + side, you'd hope this means we must have someone lined up.

Portsmouth are close to signing Owen Moxon from Carlisle United, reports Alan Nixon.
Portsmouth are looking to tie up a deal for the midfielder before the transfer deadline on Thursday night.

Moxon, 26, has also been on the radar of Blackpool recently, as per journalist Nixon on his Patreon.

However, in this latest update on his Patreon, Pompey are poised to win the race for his signature.

Blackpool Football Club is delighted to announce the signing of Ryan Finnigan from Southampton for an undisclosed fee.
Finnigan, 20, joins the Seasiders on a permanent deal until 2026 with an option for a further 12 months after coming through the well-respected Saints' Academy from just nine years of age.
Described as a reliable and versatile midfield player, Finnigan was a key component of Southampton's U18 Premier League South title-winning squad, before going on to make his first-team debut for the Saints in the FA Cup in January 2021.
"This is a massive Club with huge potential and hopefully I can play my part to help push to where the Club deserves to be."

Ryan Finnigan
Since that time, Finnigan has enjoyed experience in the EFL with loan spells at Crewe Alexandra and Shrewsbury Town. He now joins the Seasiders on a permanent basis, and becomes the second signing of the January Transfer Window.
On signing for Blackpool, Finnigan said:
"This is a move I'm really looking forward to and can't wait to get started here.
"Blackpool stood out to me as the perfect place to be to help me develop during the next stage of my career. I'm by no means the finished article, so to work under a Head Coach here with the reputation he has for developing younger players is really exciting.
"This is a massive Club with huge potential and hopefully I can play my part to help this Club push to where it deserves to be."
Head Coach Neil Critchley said:
"Ryan fits the profile of what we would describe as a 'Blackpool player.'
"He has very good technical qualities, displays an outstanding work ethic and is a young player that has a desire to improve.

Blackpool Football Club is delighted to announce the signing of Ryan Finnigan from Southampton for an undisclosed fee.
Finnigan, 20, joins the Seasiders on a permanent deal until 2026 with an option for a further 12 months after coming through the well-respected Saints' Academy from just nine years of age.
Described as a reliable and versatile midfield player, Finnigan was a key component of Southampton's U18 Premier League South title-winning squad, before going on to make his first-team debut for the Saints in the FA Cup in January 2021.
"This is a massive Club with huge potential and hopefully I can play my part to help push to where the Club deserves to be."

Ryan Finnigan
Since that time, Finnigan has enjoyed experience in the EFL with loan spells at Crewe Alexandra and Shrewsbury Town. He now joins the Seasiders on a permanent basis, and becomes the second signing of the January Transfer Window.
On signing for Blackpool, Finnigan said:
"This is a move I'm really looking forward to and can't wait to get started here.
"Blackpool stood out to me as the perfect place to be to help me develop during the next stage of my career. I'm by no means the finished article, so to work under a Head Coach here with the reputation he has for developing younger players is really exciting.
"This is a massive Club with huge potential and hopefully I can play my part to help this Club push to where it deserves to be."
Head Coach Neil Critchley said:
"Ryan fits the profile of what we would describe as a 'Blackpool player.'
"He has very good technical qualities, displays an outstanding work ethic and is a young player that has a desire to improve.

He's injured so not going to bother the starting 11 for some time. Sounds like Sadler is going all out sanctioning the signing of young players he thinks Critchley can add value to and then selling them on for ££££££.

He's 20 year old and made 20 senior appearances (scoring 1 goal). 1 appearance in the FA Cup for Southampton. 16 games on loan at Crewe where he was subbed off 10 times. And 3 on loan at Shrewsbury, one appearance, once on the bench and no info on the other. Bristol Cup?

Not sticking the boot in, but once again the club are heralding this again as a major coup. 🤷

So, as this window closes, apart from Coulson, have we actually signed anyone?
Got another 27 hours yet Bob!

Finnighan is the right profile for what we should be after. Higher ceiling in terms of potential.

Downside is that he’s not match fit, I believe he’s over his injury but might take a couple of weeks before he’s ready for a full 90 minutes.

My hope is there’s another signing or two on the way, we’re still being linked with one or two.

Otherwise I feel the club had done a good job shipping some out. Dougalls the only one I actually think we’ll miss but he looks to have forced that a bit.

Got another 27 hours yet Bob!

Finnighan is the right profile for what we should be after. Higher ceiling in terms of potential.

Downside is that he’s not match fit, I believe he’s over his injury but might take a couple of weeks before he’s ready for a full 90 minutes.

My hope is there’s another signing or two on the way, we’re still being linked with one or two.

Otherwise I feel the club had done a good job shipping some out. Dougalls the only one I actually think we’ll miss but he looks to have forced that a bit.
He 'forced it' because he couldn't stand Norburn....

Huddersfield Town and Sheffield Wednesday are among several clubs eyeing up a move for Cardiff City midfielder Andy Rinomhota, sources have told Football Insider.

The two Championship strugglers are joined by League One side Blackpool, Turkish side Goztepe and French clubs Amiens and Valenciennes in the race for his signature.

Rinomhota, 26, has fallen out of favour in the Welsh capital having made just seven appearances across all competitions this season.

Deadline Day us here, or as we call.it at Blackpool, Thursday....

Looking 🤞 like we may get 1 in the bag today at least.

I reckon 2 in today.

Sheffield Wednesday favourite to leave as Blackpool beat Barnsley, Rotherham United and Oxford United to deal​

Sheffield Wednesday's George Byers looks likely to have played his last game for the club as he closes in on a deal that will take him to League One for the rest of the season, The Star can reveal.

Huddersfield Town and Sheffield Wednesday are among several clubs eyeing up a move for Cardiff City midfielder Andy Rinomhota, sources have told Football Insider.

The two Championship strugglers are joined by League One side Blackpool, Turkish side Goztepe and French clubs Amiens and Valenciennes in the race for his signature.

Rinomhota, 26, has fallen out of favour in the Welsh capital having made just seven appearances across all competitions this season.

Every player we are linked with is a central midfielder.