January transfer rumours | Page 66 | Vital Football

January transfer rumours

The squad we have should be top 7 easily. Underachievers.

I'm concerned that whoever we bring in, we'll still underachieve.

This lot remind me of our so called Golden Generation of England players who persistently failed.

Apart from the Welling lad who I heard about in my local 'spoons an hour ago, are we going to sign anyone?

Last edited:
Also I’ve heard rumour from 3 places (none I’d class as watertight sources) that we’re in for Josh Andrews from Birmingham permanently. On loan right now at Accrington. Complete conjecture that one - albeit everything I post is in here until it’s done, but I say this one with zero certainty.

Also I’ve heard rumour from 3 places (none I’d class as watertight sources) that we’re in for Josh Andrews from Birmingham permanently. On loan right now at Accrington. Complete conjecture that one - albeit everything I post is in here until it’s done, but I say this one with zero certainty.
Your tranfer info is the most reliable and accurate on this board.

thank you.

Signing Andrews would give us a straight swap for Hawkins with more mobility.He is meant to be good running with the ball so that would give us something extra .

Signing Andrews would give us a straight swap for Hawkins with more mobility.He is meant to be good running with the ball so that would give us something extra .
That can be another one, some can write off before he played a game. 22 maybe with the welling lad we may be actually building for the future, which is good for me.

Does make me laugh. Andrews is a big lug but Hawkins extra 9 years experience, some at a higher level, can be flushed down the toilet just for a little more mobility, however it is used. Now that really IS writing someone off.

Hawkins is a clever and selfless player. Do we know whether Andrews is?

Joe Quigley probably had a bit more mobility than Hawkins and was even younger when he came to us. Perhaps we ought to get him back. :LOL:

Last edited:
Nichols is nailed on leaving it seems, Lapslie I think is just an enquiry, not definite.

Perhaps a chance for Lapslie to go somewhere he’s done well before and earn a better contract for the next two/three years than he would do by being a bit part player here.

But that’s a lot of upheaval for a family with a young baby who wanted to move South a year ago.

Does make me laugh. Andrews is a big lug but Hawkins extra 9 years experience, some at a higher level, can be flushed down the toilet just for a little more mobility, however it is used. Now that really IS writing someone off.

Hawkins is a clever and selfless player. Do we know whether Andrews is?

Joe Quigley probably had a bit more mobility than Hawkins and was even younger when he came to us. Perhaps we ought to get him back. :LOL:
Not sure he’s been written off, Hawkins limped off at the weekend and i suspect is still nursing the injury that sidelined him at the beginning of the season. Hawkins has made a huge impact since his return so signing a player with similar attributes makes sense. I’d be amazed if he was less mobile than Hawkins though, not being unfair but he’s hardly rapid and very one paced.

Not sure he’s been written off, Hawkins limped off at the weekend and i suspect is still nursing the injury that sidelined him at the beginning of the season. Hawkins has made a huge impact since his return so signing a player with similar attributes makes sense. I’d be amazed if he was less mobile than Hawkins though, not being unfair but he’s hardly rapid and very one paced.
Agreed, but if we had an all round player, he would not be playing at this level. As far as I have seen, the fact that he is not quick is his only flaw.

I have not even seen Andrews so I am not judging him. May be a good player but a double figure number of appearances plus a total of 8 goals indicates to me that he would be raw, so expectations should be tempered, particularly for the remainder of this season. If Clem feels he can coach and fast track him, then fair enough. He can probably learn from Oli as well.

I have not even seen Andrews so I am not judging him. May be a good player but a double figure number of appearances plus a total of 8 goals indicates to me that he would be raw, so expectations should be tempered, particularly for the remainder of this season. If Clem feels he can coach and fast track him, then fair enough. He can probably learn from Oli as well.

IF we get Andrews in, this is exactly what I’d be hoping. Play in Hawkins spot until he’s back to fitness. Then be his understudy and rotate with him to allow Hawkins a bit of a breather every now and then. I think he needs to be nursed through now.

As for Josh Andrews himself, like you I know nothing much about him. But he was picked out as a “real handful” when we played Accy. He’s young (22?) wins his headers and already has 40 L2 appearances (probs off the bench in some) with 8 goals. Now, for a young player that’s a “target man” that is quite impressive. A goal every 4-5 games is not bad for a target style player. Especially a young one.

Agreed, but if we had an all round player, he would not be playing at this level. As far as I have seen, the fact that he is not quick is his only flaw.

Difficult to compare but Hawkins was knocking about in the lower leagues at a similar stage of his career. If Andrew’s can occupy defenders in a similar way to Hawkins and bring others into play he’d be a decent signing I’d guess.

All this is well and good but we need someone to stick it in the net now!

Agree. I’ll be happy with a lot of the names we’ve been linked with. But so long as one of them coming in has a decent track record of putting the ball in the net at whatever EFL level (or a great record if below that level)