MATCH THREAD v Manchester City ..Home FA Cup | Page 11 | Vital Football

MATCH THREAD v Manchester City ..Home FA Cup

The one positive for me was (apart from the set peice at the end), our defending was solid. The only part of our game that matched theirs, but we never tested their defence!

Disappointed that ANge didn't see the lack of service to Richi and Werner, seeing the latter was exactly what HE wanted in the TW.

Its was a rather confounding mess in the attacking central mid for us. A little more discipline & structure there woulda made a world of difference for us. Not exactly sure what was the actual setup, and why it seemed completely ineffective. Im not sold on Kulusevski as a #10 type playmaker. He seems more effective on the right. Timo is a natural CF, pair him with Richi as a 9-10 combo switching around, might do enough to manifest more than a single shot on goal. We really need Maddison back.

Yup and even if they did...they are MUCH deeper than us. Like I said in a post a few secs ago....they are on a different level than us...but we are climbing.
That’s the point they are 15 years into their plan whilst we, due to poor managerial appointments, are having in many ways to start again. The real plus from tonight is that they created very little from open play, until we made a couple of errors, and we have put together a pretty useful defensive unit.

The loss of Sarr, Biss and Son really hurt is and it was obvious that Maddi is quite a way off match fitness and this resulted in us being pretty ineffective as an attacking force. Kulu was not at his best and the inability to see that early through ball limited any chances we had to break them down.

Read a lot of criticism on here over the years about the respect work rates of Kane and Son but Christ dose miss their goals and ability to score from limited opportunities.

We certainly need to strengthen our forward options come the summer but on the bright side we now have a clear run at getting a place in the top 4 but I, like many, would rather have a trophy.

Travelling down on Wednesday, with my son and daughter for the Brentford game so hopefully it all clicks that night.

I’m shocked by some of the reaction here!!
People pointing out that we had 1 shot & didn’t control the midfield but completely ignore the fact that we had 3 first team players missing in Son, Sarr & Biss. Whilst we also only brought a half fit Madders on for his first game for 3 months & he had 20 minutes.
You honestly believe in that environment we’d be able to control a midfield against arguably the best team in the world!!
I wanted more & I wanted a win but I’m impressed with how well many of our players performed. Our defensive unit was solid. Venom was fouled as Diaz clearly jumped at him but I do think Venom needs to learn to push through these players as it now happens every match.
Skipp produced a great cameo also. Our midfield dropped when Bents left the field!
We need to keep building. Move more players out & new blood in!
All in all, we went toe to toe again with a top team, whilst missing 25% of our first team & got beat by 1 goal!

Let’s add some perspective people!!!
It's a Sunday League game for City.
You could tell.
FFS.

Its was a rather confounding mess in the attacking central mid for us. A little more discipline & structure there woulda made a world of difference for us. Not exactly sure what was the actual setup, and why it seemed completely ineffective. Im not sold on Kulusevski as a #10 type playmaker. He seems more effective on the right. Timo is a natural CF, pair him with Richi as a 9-10 combo switching around, might do enough to manifest more than a single shot on goal. We really need Maddison back.

My frustration is all to do with how some of our professional players were unable to see/link up with Richi and Werner. They were starved and we offered virtually no threat. Now look back how we have defeated City time and time again, as well as how many teams got the better of City this season. Break their lines and they are vulnerable. Yeah, we defended resolutely, but that doesn't win you games. One good pass and execution may have done, but there seemed reluctance or lack of confidence amongst the same players that feed Sonny. Udo, Porro and Bent are our 1st pick. Then throw Hoj in there and we spend most of the time in our own half. I half expected fortnight's training to have focused on City's weaknesses.

0-0 would've done me in the league as a hard deservevd point. Didn't fancy our chances in a replay.

As a side note Conteball and MouBall could've packed our own half and nullified City! AngeBall was missing beyond the half line.

WIP?...yes, fully accept that. Let's hope when everyone's fit and back we ain't still discussing such issues.

Lots of us utterly deflated, we are allegedly a top 6 club yet have won Nothing for so many years now. A trophy run would have been good for us however we now only have the goal of CL which is good for Wed evenings…but this club needs silverware…utterly sick of the spursy sh**

My frustration is all to do with how some of our professional players were unable to see/link up with Richi and Werner. They were starved and we offered virtually no threat. Now look back how we have defeated City time and time again, as well as how many teams got the better of City this season. Break their lines and they are vulnerable. Yeah, we defended resolutely, but that doesn't win you games. One good pass and execution may have done, but there seemed reluctance or lack of confidence amongst the same players that feed Sonny. Udo, Porro and Bent are our 1st pick. Then throw Hoj in there and we spend most of the time in our own half. I half expected fortnight's training to have focused on City's weaknesses.

0-0 would've done me in the league as a hard deservevd point. Didn't fancy our chances in a replay.

As a side note Conteball and MouBall could've packed our own half and nullified City! AngeBall was missing beyond the half line.

WIP?...yes, fully accept that. Let's hope when everyone's fit and back we ain't still discussing such issues.
Conteball & Mouball may well have packed our half but we would’ve been defending for our lives from minute 1 as we immediately concede 60 yards!
We wouldn’t have fared better!

Ultimately having no fit & firing Madders & no Son, Biss & Sarr was our downfall. We also had limited attacking options on the bench.

I’m shocked by some of the reaction here!!
People pointing out that we had 1 shot & didn’t control the midfield but completely ignore the fact that we had 3 first team players missing in Son, Sarr & Biss. Whilst we also only brought a half fit Madders on for his first game for 3 months & he had 20 minutes.
You honestly believe in that environment we’d be able to control a midfield against arguably the best team in the world!!
I wanted more & I wanted a win but I’m impressed with how well many of our players performed. Our defensive unit was solid. Venom was fouled as Diaz clearly jumped at him but I do think Venom needs to learn to push through these players as it now happens every match.
Skipp produced a great cameo also. Our midfield dropped when Bents left the field!
We need to keep building. Move more players out & new blood in!
All in all, we went toe to toe again with a top team, whilst missing 25% of our first team & got beat by 1 goal!

Let’s add some perspective people!!!
We had one shot and that was our fault. Had we taken the opportunities to pass, play thru balks, cross better then we could have had more shots. Yes we are missing people but that doesn't excuse final balls not being made or through balls or earlier passes. I agree our defence did well....But the best team won, and could easily have won by more. Tonight for whatever reason city showed our limitations & the need to add quality to our squad.

Lots of us utterly deflated, we are allegedly a top 6 club yet have won Nothing for so many years now. A trophy run would have been good for us however we now only have the goal of CL which is good for Wed evenings…but this club needs silverware…utterly sick of the spursy sh**
We all want trophies but come on mate, Ange has been here 6 months & had 1.5 transfer windows. He’s also had over half his first team missing for that 6 months.
Klopp, Pep, Wenger, Fegie & all other trophy winning managers took years to build their teams to win!
Perspective……..

We had one shot and that was our fault. Had we taken the opportunities to pass, play thru balks, cross better then we could have had more shots. Yes we are missing people but that doesn't excuse final balls not being made or through balls or earlier passes. I agree our defence did well....But the best team won, and could easily have won by more. Tonight for whatever reason city showed our limitations & the need to add quality to our squad.
I agree we need more quality but Pep didn’t fall straight into his team. He took multiple windows to build it.
Ange has been here 6 months! We have no real depth so when our first team players are missing, we have limited quality to replace them with.
You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!

Just watched the presser.
Ange talks a brilliant game to the media.
Not quite so sure he talks it as well from the dugout.
Its not the first time he's batted stuff away.

although, that passing play from defence to attack just because we fancied it and took the piss was brilliant,

keep calm and carry on.

We all want trophies but come on mate, Ange has been here 6 months & had 1.5 transfer windows. He’s also had over half his first team missing for that 6 months.
Klopp, Pep, Wenger, Fegie & all other trophy winning managers took years to build their teams to win!
Perspective……..
Not pointing at Ange mate as you said took years to build a team…it’s already been many many years…love this club…I just feel the club are more interested in Cl above all else…it’s where the money is…guess it’s silver if we take in coinage 👍😊

Not pointing at Ange mate as you said took years to build a team…it’s already been many many years…love this club…I just feel the club are more interested in Cl above all else…it’s where the money is…guess it’s silver if we take in coinage 👍😊
Hmmm, I get where you’re coming from. Yep, been years. Far too long since a club of our stature etc won anything. There is blame at the door of many people for that. Some are still here (Levy etc) but I do think we’re on the right track.
PSR/FFP seems to finally be impacting clubs that have laughed in the face of a good financial plan. We’re spending more on decent players. We’re building an identity & playing attractive football.

I think we need better quality in depth but I think that’s on the horizon. In reality I passed this season off as a loss due to a new manager & huge change but if we get top 4, I’d be chuffed as that’s a successful season under the circumstances. Next season though, I expect us to push for a trophy & maybe have an outside bet for the PL.

Hmmm, I get where you’re coming from. Yep, been years. Far too long since a club of our stature etc won anything. There is blame at the door of many people for that. Some are still here (Levy etc) but I do think we’re on the right track.
PSR/FFP seems to finally be impacting clubs that have laughed in the face of a good financial plan. We’re spending more on decent players. We’re building an identity & playing attractive football.

I think we need better quality in depth but I think that’s on the horizon. In reality I passed this season off as a loss due to a new manager & huge change but if we get top 4, I’d be chuffed as that’s a successful season under the circumstances. Next season though, I expect us to push for a trophy & maybe have an outside bet for the PL.
We'd all be chuffed if we achieve top 4 Swindon. Just our luck (Mabbutt's!!) that we drew City. Would've been nice to have had a lower league opposition so early in the comp as out players return for latter rounds. So, all focus on the PL and I hope we don't make Brentford look like world beaters.

Some good posts SS82
What I saw, was, a, fast paced frenetic game, both teams really like headless chickens, running round without much product from either side.
We were wasteful in possession and held the ball too long rather than release the 'killer pass, as has been said Werner and Richi made several good runs but didn't get the pass.
They broke up our play with silly fouls, pushes and pulls, Tierney was certainly poor at giving them cards.
For me their' goal' was a foul on the keeper the Man C player simply pushed Vic into the net.
Again Tierney failed to see it.
With all that said, I don't think we were ever winning that game tonite, you need to have shots to do that.
But we went toe to toe against arguably the world's best side, we had a few regular players short and some returns from injury.
For me they weren't streets ahead, but better and that bit sharper and incisive, a draw may have been the fair result but they were the better side.
With that said, we're 6 months into a rebuild with some players who have had just 90 mins together.
We're not world beaters yet, but we're starting to show glimmers of what we can be.

Some good posts SS82
What I saw, was, a, fast paced frenetic game, both teams really like headless chickens, running round without much product from either side.
We were wasteful in possession and held the ball too long rather than release the 'killer pass, as has been said Werner and Richi made several good runs but didn't get the pass.
They broke up our play with silly fouls, pushes and pulls, Tierney was certainly poor at giving them cards.
For me their' goal' was a foul on the keeper the Man C player simply pushed Vic into the net.
Again Tierney failed to see it.
With all that said, I don't think we were ever winning that game tonite, you need to have shots to do that.
But we went toe to toe against arguably the world's best side, we had a few regular players short and some returns from injury.
For me they weren't streets ahead, but better and that bit sharper and incisive, a draw may have been the fair result but they were the better side.
With that said, we're 6 months into a rebuild with some players who have had just 90 mins together.
We're not world beaters yet, but we're starting to show glimmers of what we can be.
There were two culprits in this respect, while Porro had a decent game defence wise his final ball when attacking was very poor this evening with most passes being over hit. Kulesevski was the poorest player on the pitch, as our primary creative player he produced nothing of note the whole game.

Being drawn against City this early in the competition was a tough call and seemed to epitomise some of the misfortune we've had in recent times. Being beaten was always therefore on the cards and maybe therefore not too much should be read into this result, and we move on.
However, the result is one thing, the performance is an entirely different issue. This was a miserable performance, with barely a chance created over the ninety minutes. Sonny was missed, his pace and ability to run at defences creating goal scoring opportunities has constantly troubled City in recent times, and was much needed last night.
The eleven fielded last night should however have been capable of testing a nothing special City team, far more than proved to be the case, City were average at best going forward, but contained us throughout with ease. We played as if a draw would be a good result for us.
Following on from the tepid performance against Burnley in the previous round, and failure to beat a mediocre United team, the sort of fixture we need to be winning, there are negatives currently that simply can't be overlooked and need to be addressed. Gone is the free flowing, high intensity football we displayed over the first ten games, we are starting to look quite pedestrian.
A season lasts for nine months a year, and the best teams irrespective of fixture congestion, injuries and tiredness, do what is necessary for nine months. Our fixture list for the balance of the season is now generous, and we've got thru the injury crisis, suspensions, and international absentees, whilst remaining in touch in the PL for a top four finish. We now need however a very good February in the PL. Otherwise a season that promised much, will fizzle out disappointingly. It needn't do so, we are capable of so much more than we showed last night.