January 2024 Transfer Window Thread | Page 4 | Vital Football

January 2024 Transfer Window Thread

Bolton Wanderers, Blackpool, Shrewsbury Town and Fleetwood Town are all showing interest in Manchester United’s Dan Gore, as per The Mail’s transfer confidential.​

Manchester United starlet Gore has been linked with a move to the EFL in the January transfer window. Reports said in December that Preston North End had expressed an interest in the 19-year-old midfielder.

A move has not come to fruition as of yet but with fresh claims of further interest, Gore looks to have a few options available.

The Mail’s transfer confidential states that while Championship sides have been ‘touted’ to move for Gore, the most genuine interest is coming from League One. Bolton Wanderers, Blackpool, Shrewsbury Town and Fleetwood Town are among those keen to bring Gore in, it is said.

Niall Ennis could leave Blackburn Rovers in the January transfer window with League One clubs hoping to take him on loan.

The striker has not scored a Championship goal since arriving in the summer after struggling with injuries and regular game time under Jon Dahl Tomasson.
Ennis has started three league matches since signing on a free transfer from Plymouth Argyle. A series of injuries set him back in pre-season and in the subsequent months.
With Sam Gallagher available again after a long-term injury, the 24-year-old was left out of the Rovers squad that were beaten 4-1 by West Brom on Saturday.

Ennis instead played an hour for the Under-21s and missed a penalty as they drew 3-3 with Crystal Palace.
The Lancashire Telegraph understands that Ennis has attracted loan interest from League One, with Bolton Wanderers, Blackpool and Barnsley particularly keen to sign the striker. He scored 14 goals in the third tier last term as Argyle won the title.

Dougall’s future has been uncertain in the last month, with the Australian missing six games around the Christmas period despite his good form prior to that. More recently he was an unused substitute against Nottingham Forest at the City Ground, before making a short cameo in the EFL Trophy tie against Burton, but it now seems he’s played his last game in Tangerine.
He’s got the possibility of moving overseas- that’s something that’s been rumbling on in the background and we’re hoping that will be resolved very soon,” explained Blackpool boss Neil Critchley.

All the best to him. Thanks for the memories, especially at Wembley. Wish he was staying but life moves on.

What makes me laugh is that there has been a game that he hasn't been available for a knock or similar now it's as if everyone is supposed to know that he was on the verge of leaving. Like being at work - nonsense

Sullied the memories with his antics over the last 6weeks...View attachment 71147

Not a shock, but shocking.

Looking back to around 1973 I remember my Dad taking me onto Bloomfield Road and as I stood there in the West Paddock looking across the dark green grass at almost eye level, with the smell of Wintergreen rub and the waft of cigarette smoke I was mesmerised by the players all in matching crisp, vibrant Tangerine shirts, starched white shorts and highly polished black boots. Stood agog and totally enthralled by the noise of such a collective of fans chanting in unison I was hooked. Of course I'd been to Bloomfield Road before but I was too young to appreciate the effects of that multi sensory experience just a few years later on.

What did stick out in my mind was that we had a tricky player who I'd read so much about, and like Sexxy had cut out all of the match reports from The Green to paste into my scrapbook. The player, who became my favourite, was a certain Mickey Burns! To see him in that Tangerine, white and with shiny boots running down the wing with such energy, determination and with the crowd volume rising as he passed the halfway line was a magnificent memory which I'd recreate with my leather casey in the back alleys of North Shore. But what I also remember was that when he gave the ball away the crowd would change. They would curse, shout, swear and get on his back. As a 7 year old child I couldn't understand this. I thought you were supposed to support your heroes?

And so for the first time in 50+ years following the 'Pool I too have a real bee in my bonnet about a current first team player. NORBURN! Am I now like them elders from times gone by? Failing to see the good and only waiting to see the first error, seeing only the flaws, the negative aspect of his game? He bloody well infuriates me. I'm not yet at the point where I will physically hurl abuse at him like they did often in the 1970s. But I can't remember ever being so dissatisfied with a player in Tangerine.

Again in this new era of the football club the new(ish) owner seems to have appointed a lot of dodgy managers and directors and brought in a fair few players that aren't great without any thought as to what fans, or stakeholders, think. Almost stubbornly doing as he wants. Well it's his toy, his club. Like it or lump it.

I think the problem for Kenny was/is Norburn. He probably doesn't like being told what to do by Norburn and in fact NO Aussie likes being told what to do.... especially by a Pom!

What pisses me the most is being kept in the dark by the club - including Critchley.

Excellent post. 👍
Layton - my players of those eras were Billy Bentley, Budgie / Wood. Later on Stan McEwan and Tony Kellow. We're players who I seemed to adore As a kid

I am OK with Norburn. I think he is playing too deep and would like to see him 20yds up the field. Think he has a passing range.
I would have liked us to sign Charlie Goode - see he has gone to Wiggun.

Kenny - ruined his memories for me over the last 6 weeks. Hus team mates playing 6 games in q7 days whilst he is posting pics of him and his Mrs skiing.
Dougall was a good 3rd Div player, but that step up to the Championship was too big for him and he wasn't alone in that.

I do wonder about the timing of this news. We have known he was o his way but why today? Bad news / good news day? 1 incoming?

Excellent post. 👍
Layton - my players of those eras were Billy Bentley, Budgie / Wood. Later on Stan McEwan and Tony Kellow. We're players who I seemed to adore As a kid

I am OK with Norburn. I think he is playing too deep and would like to see him 20yds up the field. Think he has a passing range.
I would have liked us to sign Charlie Goode - see he has gone to Wiggun.

Kenny - ruined his memories for me over the last 6 weeks. Hus team mates playing 6 games in q7 days whilst he is posting pics of him and his Mrs skiing.
Dougall was a good 3rd Div player, but that step up to the Championship was too big for him and he wasn't alone in that.

I do wonder about the timing of this news. We have known he was o his way but why today? Bad news / good news day? 1 incoming?
Probably just his visa application came through so it could all be confirmed.

With the news surrounding CJ gaining interest from other clubs there's news of an incoming signing today so I thought it is the right time to start yet another transfer rumour thread.

Nixon us reporting today that Madine is close to a return with us..🙈
Nooooooaaaah

Re: Kenny, I'm inclined to believe it was a battle of wills with him and Critchley over his omission from the team in favour of Norburn. Basically he went on strike and the skiing pictures were most likely a f' you! I'm not going to overly debate his worth in a division we aren't currently in moreover what value he has as a League 1 player which I think is massive. Something he has more than proven in his time here.

Most of the team that were promoted to the Championship did great first season, Kenny included. I suspect Critchley had already had his head turned way before the season end which was evident with so many gutless performances 2021/22 end. The poor performance away at the nobbers, the annihilation by Forest and the 2 batterings by the 2 bottom clubs, Derby at home and the 5-0 drubbing away at the hapless Posh. Their captain Norburn's only performances higher than L1, some 20 odd matches of which their team looked really bad for most of them. 2nd season for us in the Championship was a catastrophe even for the players that left us and are still in the Championship. So it's very difficult to blame many or highlight they aren't good enough. I think under different circumstances they would have been, especially Kenny.

I really hope we don't regret losing him although I think we have already missed him when you look back at 4-0 Pompey away, 4-0 Shrews at home, 3-0 Carlisle all without Norburn all with Kenny. Then that spell of abject defeats to Cambridge, Port Vale and Burton, all with Norburn, all without Kenny. Great we've picked up a bit but we've scraped the wins.

Re: Kenny, I'm inclined to believe it was a battle of wills with him and Critchley over his omission from the team in favour of Norburn. Basically he went on strike and the skiing pictures were most likely a f' you! I'm not going to overly debate his worth in a division we aren't currently in moreover what value he has as a League 1 player which I think is massive. Something he has more than proven in his time here.

Most of the team that were promoted to the Championship did great first season, Kenny included. I suspect Critchley had already had his head turned way before the season end which was evident with so many gutless performances 2021/22 end. The poor performance away at the nobbers, the annihilation by Forest and the 2 batterings by the 2 bottom clubs, Derby at home and the 5-0 drubbing away at the hapless Posh. Their captain Norburn's only performances higher than L1, some 20 odd matches of which their team looked really bad for most of them. 2nd season for us in the Championship was a catastrophe even for the players that left us and are still in the Championship. So it's very difficult to blame many or highlight they aren't good enough. I think under different circumstances they would have been, especially Kenny.

I really hope we don't regret losing him although I think we have already missed him when you look back at 4-0 Pompey away, 4-0 Shrews at home, 3-0 Carlisle all without Norburn all with Kenny. Then that spell of abject defeats to Cambridge, Port Vale and Burton, all with Norburn, all without Kenny. Great we've picked up a bit but we've scraped the wins.
I guess time will tell Layton if we will miss KK in the second half of the season.

I think the last few games have shown we are moving in the right direction but the big tests await through to the end of February.

The jury is certainly out as far as Norbury is concerned though….

Sullied the memories with his antics over the last 6weeks...View attachment 71147
The only connection I can find is that Arthur Papastamatis(Papas) an Australian Football Coach, is the Caretaker Coach & Technical Director for Buriram United FC, (Buri Ram--population 28,000, situated in the rural province 400k's north east of Bangkok), whom used to be Manager for the Newcastle Jets.(Seasons 2021/23). He is 43 years of age. He most likely knew Dougall and vice-versa from his roles at the:

Australian Institute of Sport (from Wickipedia)

In 2009 Papas accepted the role of AIS Men's Football Scholarship Coach identified over time by Football Federation Australia Technical Directors Rob Baan and Han Berger as a potential elite level coach.[10] This award had only held by a handful of Australians in the game's history and Papas relocated from Melbourne to Canberra to begin working at the Australian Institute of Sport under the mentorship of Dutch Coach Jan Versleijen. During this period Papas gained insights into world class high performance environments and sports and under the High Performance Program governed by the Australian Sports Commission and Football Federation Australia gained experiences working with the country's top potential talents as well as the Australian National Youth Teams both as a technical analyst and coach. Papas credits this part of his journey as a major point of difference in understanding the requirements to manage professionally.

Make of it what you like but to me it is a bit of a head scratcher of a move for our King Kenny. 😕 I wish him all the best.

Last edited:
The only connection I can find is that Arthur Papastamatis(Papas) an Australian Football Coach, is the Caretaker Coach & Technical Director for Buriram United FC, (Buri Ram--population 28,000, situated in the rural province 400k's north east of Bangkok), whom used to be Manager for the Newcastle Jets.(Seasons 2021/23). He is 43 years of age. He most likely knew Dougall and vice-versa from his roles at the:

Australian Institute of Sport (from Wickipedia)

In 2009 Papas accepted the role of AIS Men's Football Scholarship Coach identified over time by Football Federation Australia Technical Directors Rob Baan and Han Berger as a potential elite level coach.[10] This award had only held by a handful of Australians in the game's history and Papas relocated from Melbourne to Canberra to begin working at the Australian Institute of Sport under the mentorship of Dutch Coach Jan Versleijen. During this period Papas gained insights into world class high performance environments and sports and under the High Performance Program governed by the Australian Sports Commission and Football Federation Australia gained experiences working with the country's top potential talents as well as the Australian National Youth Teams both as a technical analyst and coach. Papas credits this part of his journey as a major point of difference in understanding the requirements to manage professionally.

Make of it what you like but to me it is a bit of a head scratcher of a move for our King Kenny. 😕 I wish him all the best.
Kenny's mother is Thai. He probably has lots of family there too. Good payday for him...