Match Thread: Sheffield Wednesday v Lincoln City | Page 20 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Sheffield Wednesday v Lincoln City

Funny old day. Rushing around at home and worrying about leaving the youngest two on their own most of the day, so that we could get to Sheffield in time to find a Car Parking Space. Listening to Chelsea wop Norwich while my boy watched it on his iPad as we wove our way through the Peak District. Getting to Sheffield in time to find a half-empty Middleton Road Park 'n' Ride that I didn't have to pay to park in.

A dose of reality, as I imagined the issues with over-crowding as we negotiated the Rat Hole of corners and narrow passages that lives below the Leppings Lane stadium, and the feel of the eerie hand of the 96 not helped half-way through the game by the smell of smoke (presumably from some idiot with a flare that I didn't see). It took ages to tip-toe out of the Stadium and then we sat in crappy traffic getting out of Sheffield. Poor driving by half-a-dozen cars on the way home and a closed country road so the Police could recover vehicles from an accident, was topped by the cock up at McDonalds 2 miles from home.

In between coming and going there was a game of football.

We played reasonably well in the first half and apart from one block by Jackson's head and a Saido Berahino shot at the near-post that Griffiths did well to save, Wednesday were barely a threat. Scully should have pulled the ball back for Bishop when we robbed their defence and it should have been 1-0 to us at half-time.

We could easily have had another had things gone our way with the shot from the edge of the box, the whip across the six-yard box that Scully couldn't quite get on the end of and the Maguire incident where the ball sat 1 yard out of the goal with no-one around to tap it in (for reference it was a fair tackle and Maguire's touch had better get better, because whatever other talents and application he shows, at the moment his control is shit). Griffiths was unlucky with the goal - good save and nearly kept out the follow-up. We were lost in midfield and Bishop is wasted on the wings. He should have the position behind the front three to drive into the box. Poole's passing was poor today, but defensively he was sound. Robson wasn't as quick as his opponents and Bramall would have made more of two or three of the forays forward from the back.
Scully wasn't missed when he went off. N'Lundulu was more of a threat than Draper. McGrandles had made a great tackle in the first-half but the booking stifled his game and Lincoln looked better without him, though I would have taken Maquire off too. Montsma's header looks even better on the Highlights real than it did at the game, where I concentrated on watching the ball kicked from the corner, glace his head and squirm under the keeper, completely missing his movement and the 10 Pin Bowling he did on the opposition. Superb.

We were good for the point. We showed application and quality in patches and indolence, apathy and disorganisation in others. We were sometimes ponderous and sometimes it clicked. We missed Bridcutt and Hopper. Three points wouldn't have been outrageous, but we just don't have the sharpness, the edge or the speed that we had last year.

All in all. OK, could do better and capable of more consistency.

I spent the journey from Hillsborough on the tram trying to stop 3 kids getting squashed and just about succeeded. I can't actually believe they make people stay on until the stop they say, then the police are there telling people what to do. Oh, no, wait, I can.

The SYP today were an absolute fucking joke tbh. Can’t imagine what it would be like to be there with a ‘big‘ team. They obviously were struggling with 3000 Lincoln fans, it’s a shame being a football fan seems to allow you to be treated as a second class citizen.

Imps fan I know mentioned about the tram he was on being damaged. Liam has tweeted about it.

I'm not surprised it was damaged.
They let too many people on it to the point I would say it was dangerous for the amount of people that was on it.
It was literally a crush situation on it and if you suffered from closterphobia it would of been a very uncomfortable situation.

To be controversial, when a season is not going as unbelievably well as the previous 5 or 6 do you start to see the difference between people that supported pre-2016 and those that started at the Oldham FA cup game?

Probably a bit yeah.
What a load of tosh. I was a season ticket holder in our relegation season, a couple of years after and several years before. We should have won today. Just because I watched us when we were utter dross, doesn't mean I can't expect better when we play below our ability.

Last edited:
Give you a snapshot of conditions on the trams

Attachments

• 6F78A5B3-6367-4C57-85FC-F6050ECF553C.jpg
    6F78A5B3-6367-4C57-85FC-F6050ECF553C.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 97
Better then midweek still just lacking the dynamics to kill the game off which we should have done before they scored. Wednesday arent great but a point from home is handy however we should have had three. Wigan will be tough and next week we really need to beat shrewsbury who incidently beat cambridge 4.1. would like to see sanders and bramall against tired legs just to see if they can add spark .

Draper looked excellent when he came on. Made some really positive runs in behind the Wednesday defence.

In general, good performance. Need Hopper and Bridcutt back and we’ll be back up the table in no time.

thats interesting. On iFollow it seemed like he just wasn’t really involved much. Not his fault mind you. But knowing that he was putting in the work off camera is good to hear.

Like most have said, deserved at least a point. If Scully was at it would have been 3.

Thought both centre halves played well. Also thought Robson played well again who for me was only player who deserved any credit Tuesday, he’s starting to look a decent addition.

Biggest frustration for me at the moment is when we get the ball we seem a bit hesitant. A lot is said about pace but I think mentality is just as important here. Johnson, Rogers and Anderson would all look to get forward as soon as won the ball. We seem more focused on looking after it at the moment. Yes we are a passing side, but did it with more purpose last season when bodies flew forward. Think Bishop bring out of position doesn’t help here.

Still, good to see some resilience. Need to back it up Tuesday now and get two decent performances in a row in.

Anyone hear Darren Moore after by the way? Sounded clueless.

Some thoughts on young Freddie. Firstly what an occasion to make your debut. Having only seen him on IPlayer, he’s a very big lad both height and build. A potential 9 in the making? Obviously his inexperience was evident but, what I liked was the fact he got involved, had great awareness with his runs off the ball and indicating where to play the ball. Wasn’t shy about getting into their centre halves either. Plenty to get excited about and I hope he’s involved in the squad regularly from now on whilst taking care not to break him.

Some thoughts on young Freddie. Firstly what an occasion to make your debut. Having only seen him on IPlayer, he’s a very big lad both height and build. A potential 9 in the making? Obviously his inexperience was evident but, what I liked was the fact he got involved, had great awareness with his runs off the ball and indicating where to play the ball. Wasn’t shy about getting into their centre halves either. Plenty to get excited about and I hope he’s involved in the squad regularly from now on whilst taking care not to break him.
I thought he looked good too, our midfielders aren’t used to a centre forward making runs so didn’t spot him. It’ll come. And he had a song within seconds of coming on - what a moment for the lad

Reading a few comments about a point against a poor side, when I checked before the game Wednesday were 9th, presumably they haven’t just been lucky every game.

Had a chuckle at half time, their vocal section nearest us mocked us for sitting down as if this has some sort of bearing on your loyalty/passion then promptly booed their own team off the field whilst standing up!