Match Thread: Sheffield Wednesday v Lincoln City | Page 19 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Sheffield Wednesday v Lincoln City

If you'd have said we were going to pick four points from Charlton, AFCW and Wednesday you'd have assumed a win AFCW then a point from the other two and in that respect, it probably wouldn't have seemed too bad a return.

Not saying that four is all we should be aiming for but often who the points are gained against can lead to skewed thoughts on them.

Not long back home thanks to @hulloutpost for the lift.
Great to meet up with the Vitals tour team. Also great atmosphere with the Imps in the away end apart from the idiot at the back who through part of a pyro down the stand which hit someone on the back of there head.
Great to come away with a point shame it wasn't the full 3.

Just back (I didn't go on a train so got to see the match!).

Decently average match between two average mid table teams both of who are struggling to score. Wasn't awful to watch, wasn't scintillating either. I suppose you could say we ground out the result.

As with Tuesday we looked relatively solid in defence although several times the defence had to step in as Owls midfield ran through our midfield.

BUT we battled today, we ran today, we fought today, we had desire today and you can't ask for more than that.

Montsma has regained his pre COVID level which is great to see- thought, with Jackson, they looked a solid partnership today.

Personally I thought Sorensen had his best game so far and made a goal saving tackle in the first half inside the 18 yard box.

Still lacking confidence up front (not a coincidence it was a defender who scored) and still not quite gelling as a unit up front.

Marks today would be 7/10- enjoyed the game.

Overall a decent result, good to visit Hillsborough although ended up parking on Parsons Cross and had to walk pass the Forty Foot pub for which the term "home pub" was made!

WIgan on Tuesday as long as the COVID booster doesn't knock me for six.

What the hell was going on the station?
A group of fans sent home without seeing the game, SYP being SYP.

Finally back after a nightmare tram journey. Packed in like sardines. Just hope I haven’t caught anything 🤢 As for the match, a point away from home is always a great feeling. Thought we had a great first half and should have been ahead, and then early in the second, we seemed to be waiting for the penno that never came when our lad, sorry no idea who it was got right to the byline before getting caught but the ball rolled right across the goal with the Wednesday defenders static. After that we allowed Wednesday to come back in it and inevitably they scored a soft goal. It looked like we had run out of steam until Montsma grabbed a great equaliser very much against the run of play. After that it was all us but with no end product. Nice to see a debut for Draper too. What a place to do it. Overall, a top away day. UTI

It really was an awful 90 minutes from both sides to be honest. Yes, we had the chances to win, but we didn't really create them. They just came our way by poor defending.

We have the most disorganised midfield since MA came here. If you include Bishop and Maguire in that, despite both supposedly playing further forward, we have five players who show zero connection with each other at all.

Thankfully the defence was solid and Montsma was outstanding. We are in for a terrible beating on Tuesday night if we play like we have been doing this past few games.
The Horror

Just back home and the dog needs walking so will catch up in a bit but just to say a huge improvement on Tuesday night and a very well earned and deserved point today.
Good team performance and we were perhaps the better team for the 90 minutes overall but we'll certainly see it as a good point won.

Just whizzed through some of the comments.

Me, really impressed by the whole team today. Superb battling throughout, total domination of Wednesday, deserved the win, but a very well earned draw. And great seeing Freddie come on and get such fabulous support from the 3000 Imps there.

Great day out !!

Decent point and with enough to take all 3
Lewis was excellent and the CB pairing dealt well with the Wednesday forward line
Lars had his best game to date
Wednesday looked short on ideas and played with out much energy and passing that I was expecting
Some excellent minutes of experience for the young lads
Thought it was set up for Freddie to come an instant hero but his time will come
Uti

Dog is grumbling at me but though I'd just whizz through the thread...

You can clearly tell who went to the match and were impressed with the work ethic of the team and those who watched/listened it in the comfort of their own armchairs who have a contrary view.

I thoroughly enjoyed the match and that may have been in part due to being in 3000 supporters who got 100% behind the team today from kick off to full time, all of whom remained to give the players a deserved ovation.

Good performance and excellent result.

Dog is now pretending to squat on the carpet so have to go

It was interesting to watch the game from behind the goal - something I haven't done for ages and gave a very refreshing perspective.

I'll start with the areas that need to be worked on. The lack of pace or a hold up man up top really hampers us as we have no really obvious out ball or target when we are looking to build or counter attack. As a result we probably go squarer or backwards a lot more than we want to. However it is better to do that and probe, rather than needlessly give the ball away.

Until the pace/hold up issues are resolved we need to move the ball considerably crisper and more accurately than we do at times.

It was also noticeable that we are so light weight physically in midfield and struggled to keep the ball or dispossess the Wednesday players in those areas and that caused multiple problems with their players running onto the back four at will on occasions.

Oh yes, we definitely need somebody who can get onto the end of stuff in the box and finish.

However there is no obvious reason why the pace, hold up and striker issues cannot be resolved in January. The passing and tempo will need a lot of hard work between now and then to compensate for the aforementioned deficiencies.

The biggest worry for me is how light weight the midfield is and with the personnel available I can't see that being addressed without a formation change to get an extra body in there to at least fill the space and get a foot in from time to time. I suspect MA isn't minded to do that as a short term fix though.

On the plus side it is very clear we have an identity, style of play, character and commitment. It was good to see some lung busting runs off the ball, put in from virtually the whole side. Usually the pass never came (disappointing, was it a confidence or vision issue?) but the point is the players persevered without recrimination. It would have been very easy for them to stop making the runs and full credit to the players for buying into the system and determinedly trying to get it to click, as MA alluded to in his match preview.

When you compare us with Wednesday you can see that our players know what they are striving to do and with some tweaks, hard work and re-enforcements; how they can get where they want to be.

Wednesday on the other hand struck me as a slightly more effective version of Charlton. They didn't really seem to have a cohesive or identifiable pattern or tactics so it is hard to envisage what they are working towards. To be frank, they really only had one effective option which was to rely on two physically strong and hard running central midfielders and it was from that they scored their goal.

It looked like two mid table sides out there today, but Wednesday are a mish mash of parts swilling about fairly aimlessly and ours looked like a side that are working towards something in a structured and disciplined (even if currently misfiring) way.

There is lots to be done, worked on, changed and added to, but I would say given a solid January transfer window there is no reason why we cannot have a season that gets better as it goes on. The route map is visible and identifiable and from that we should take heart.

It really was an awful 90 minutes from both sides to be honest. Yes, we had the chances to win, but we didn't really create them. They just came our way by poor defending.

We have the most disorganised midfield since MA came here. If you include Bishop and Maguire in that, despite both supposedly playing further forward, we have five players who show zero connection with each other at all.

Thankfully the defence was solid and Montsma was outstanding. We are in for a terrible beating on Tuesday night if we play like we have been doing this past few games.

Mood Hoover. You would rather us get beat which is a really strange way of life.

Decent point, and a steady return this week despite Tuesdays disappointment. Mid table is looking good but I do believe we will be a better and more threatening side it’s Xmas.

I'm glad we got something out of the game in the end but I still had the feeling it was two points lost because we had multiple opportunities to take the lead, some spurned by us, others by the lenient ref.

Like @hulloutpost I didn't think Sheffield Wednesday were substantially better than Charlton, based on that showing, but we didn't play especially well either. We passed the ball better than on Tuesday - of course we did - but not with the purpose we've become accustomed to. We closed down the opposition a lot better too, but we still had players dwelling on the ball in bad areas, let Wednesday's players run straight past our midfield too many times (this is a recurrent issue), and we now seem less able to release our full backs in high positions, which was a feature of our success last year.

We're playing with, effectively, the "false nine" and it doesn't really offer anything but the manager does seem to be somewhat dogmatically fixated with retaining the same shape even if it means players are in positions they don't look comfortable in. I was also surprised Adelakun didn't come on at some point.

I'm not against giving Draper some opportunities but I'm mystifed about that change at that particular time and, tactically, it didn't come off.

And although like most others I haven't been seeing much in Sorenson I have to give him credit today for the amount of dirty work he did today, so well done to him for that.