Burnley v Aston Villa Match Thread - Wed 27 Jan - 6pm | Page 24 | Vital Football

Burnley v Aston Villa Match Thread - Wed 27 Jan - 6pm

If we are to progress next season we need a better defender than mings.

We already have one in Hause, I'm not going to hammer him like I normally do, but again gave away a silly corner and then a simple ball across goal he jumps over Martinez and Martinez doesn't collect it either, shares the blame for two goals, missed the third one so no idea what went on.

15 minutes to go and no subs, with at least two knackered players on the pitch, Traore and Barkley. Against Burnley!!!! Why?????

First subs on 7 minutes from time. It's costing us.

Should have had Nakamba on to tighten things up and El Ghazi and Trez to give them something to think about. On 70 minutes if not earlier.

Who? Thought we played really well for the majority of the game.

Similar to the first game against them at Villa Park, the over riding thought is just 'how?'
Didn’t finish when we had the chances, midfield lots their way second half. Barkley hasn’t hit his early season form yet since injury. Mcginn strangely out of it and too much tip tap in the box for me.

We play some wonderful, brilliant football. Every pundit loves watching us and if I was a neutral, we’d be the team I’d love to watch the most perhaps Leeds also because of the ten goals per game they either score or concede.

But, we can’t go from great to shit when our backs are against the wall. Repeating my earlier point about leadership, but we need to get on the ball, slow it down, settle, not take any chances and just see out the bad spells.

In any game, however shit the opposition, there will be a 15-20 minute good spell and you have to concentrate for those periods.

In my perhaps unpopular opinion, the manager has to be over that too, there is something psychological about making a substitution. At 2-1, we should’ve made a change and that isn’t me talking in hindsight because I’d be honest and say if it was.

15 minutes to go and no subs, with at least two knackered players on the pitch, Traore and Barkley. Against Burnley!!!! Why?????

Should have had Nakamba on to tighten things up and El Ghazi and Trez to give them something to think about. On 70 minutes if not earlier.
hey I called it before KO Traore and Barkley off at what point, same two players all the while, ask yourself why. When the going gets tough they disappear

I’m actually furious about that second half. Burnley were shit and we lost after leading twice. This attitude from Smith “I’ve never had to take a player off for exhaustion” is just amateurishly naive, this is the top level if you’re not at 100% stuff like this is guaranteed to happen, especially against a team like Burnley who’s entire game is based on hard work.

Barkley, Traore, cash were out on their feet with at least 20 minutes to go, and at least two of them just had to come off. As soon as we retook the lead we should have just taken control by bringing on fresh legs to see the game out but waiting until we’re losing and being forced into desperation subs in the closing minutes just pointless

Last edited:
Pants pulled down by Burnley.
We knew what they are and didn't cope. Game is 90 mins not 45 .
We didn't deserve to win. Simple . We lost fair and square to a side that play a certain style so you can moan and groan about Burnley all you like but they got the 3 points .

Defending from the whole back 5 NOT just Mings was appalling and if Watkins doesn't fcuk up a one on one then its a different game in all likelihood. So Watkins deserves a share aswell as the defence.

Harder game against Saints Saturday aswell.

Smith is using subs like when you only had one.
He needs to learn....two are for tactical changes and save one for injury or last ten mins. He never even used them when he had five last season!

We play some wonderful, brilliant football. Very pundit loves watching us and if I was a neutral, we’d be the team I love to watch the most perhaps Leeds also because of the ten goals per game they either score or concede.

But, we can’t go from great to shit when our backs are against the wall. Repeating my earlier point about leadership, but we need to get on the ball, slow it down, settle, not take any chances and just see out the bad spells.

In any game, however shit the opposition, there will be a 15-20 minute good spell and you have to concentrate for those periods.

In my perhaps unpopular opinion, the manager has to be over that too, there is something psychological about making a substitution. At 2-1, we should’ve made a change and that isn’t me talking in hindsight because I’d be honest and say if it was.
Plucky losers the pundits love us and Leeds

I never get why people worry about Europe, I really don't get it at all I just want to finish as high as we can and play well

Personally, Europe is sentimental to me growing up in the 90’s, where I remember the bright lights on TV of Milan and Bilbao, but wasn’t old enough to go.

I’m now old enough to go, and have fucking little kids preventing me going, but I want to watch us in Europe. It’s genuinely one of the few things in life I care about, it’s honestly that important to me.

Thought Mings played well tonight. Not sure what I missed. Wasn't at fault for any of the goals was he?

As said above mate gave away a corner for fannying around which as a defender that's the last thing you do, we concede from that, the second goal Martinez or Mings had a simple ball to deal with and they both cocked it up, so shares the blame for both it was poor play, Missed the third goal, but on this occasion it wasn't a massive blunder like usual.

We have made massive progress this year, but this game reminded me so much of last season. Poor defending for crosses, squandering leads and slow to make substitutions. The new signing means we wont be forking out the 40 million that Chelsea will be asking for Barkley. He should have come off at 2-1 or 2-2. Its a dilemma as he needs games to get fit, but he has faded badly in the last two games.

Didn’t finish when we had the chances, midfield lots their way second half. Barkley hasn’t hit his early season form yet since injury. Mcginn strangely out of it and too much tip tap in the box for me.

Agree on Barkley and also agree we need to be more clinical but still think we deserved the win.

Thought Mcginn played well. Some of his through balls were sublime.

Thought we were still the better side in the 2nd half too.

Just one of those games for me. Pointless micro analysing it. Poor defending for the first. Complete fluke for the 2nd.

But if we play like that every game we'll win more than we lose.

agree, inexperience shone through tonight

As said above mate gave away a corner for fannying around which as a defender that's the last thing you do, we concede from that, the second goal Martinez or Mings had a simple ball to deal with and they both cocked it up, so shares the blame for both it was poor play, Missed the third goal, but on this occasion it wasn't a massive blunder like usual.

That was last season defending the rattled us and we panicked, First half was as comfortable as it gets , Jack, laughing and grinning like a Cheshire cat instead of bullocking his team until we get 3 up