The Vital World Cup thread. Comment, argue, debate... | Page 11 | Vital Football

The Vital World Cup thread. Comment, argue, debate...

Some friends who were at the game, said they've never been bitten so many time sin their life, apparently there are swarms of the biting midges/mossies at this time of year that leave you forever swiping your hands in the air..

Said they were even worse the closer you got to the grass; got to feel for both sets of players, it must have been very unpleasant.

VAR at World Cup 'not fit for purpose' as Gary Neville calls for Fifa to work with broadcasters

Click to follow
ES Sport

In Pictures | Tunisia vs England, World Cup | 18/06/2018
214504277-england-match-day-in-volgograd-picture-jeremy-selwyn.jpg

2018-06-18T195423Z-1815500254-RC16FA014800-RTRMADP-3-SOCCER-WORLDCUP-TUN-ENG.JPG.jpg

WORLDCUP-England-205503.jpg

06819830.jpg

ES Football Newsletter

or register with your social account

I would like to receive news and stats from the Premier League, twice a week by email
Already have an account? Log in

Gary Neville has called for broadcasting companies to work with VAR after Harry Kane was denied two clear penalties against Tunisia.

VAR is in use at the World Cup for the first time but left England angry after their 2-1 win in Volgograd on Monday.

Kane, who scored both goals, was twice wrestled to the ground, rugby style, as he attempted to get on the end of corners, but Colombian referee Wilmar Roldan failed to blow his whistle and was not invited to review his decisions by VAR. By contrast, Tunisia’s equaliser came from a disputed penalty, with Kyle Walker ruled to have committed a foul, that was not reviewed.

VAR comprises a team of four officials based in a studio away from the stadium. England were puzzled by how it was deployed but Neville, who thinks the system is “not fit for purpose”, expressed sympathy with those watching the replays.

England players baffled by VAR process at World Cup, admits Walker

The former England right-back and coach tweeted: “VAR going wrong isn’t down to VAR officials. [They have to wade] through 26 angles and make a call in maybe 20 seconds!

“To give you an idea, television companies will have 14 experienced people doing the same job to get replays inside 20 seconds. It’s an impossible ask! If we want accuracy then it comes down to two things. Either give the VAR refs more time and accept the delay or the broadcasters have to be working with the VAR officials!

“It’s a talent and skill of up to 14 experienced operators who have been doing it for a good length of time who get those angles in!! It’s not magic.”
England vs Tunisia | Through the fans eyes
Before its use in the tournament, VAR had caused controversy in the FA Cup, with many managers, notably Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino, expressing doubts about it.

I'm sorry but you don't need 26 angles and 4 people to spot those penalties. Just 4 basic angles, one each would have shown it. Neville is right about why the TV cameras get their quicker, but that's a poor excuse for why the VAR guys didn't spot the penalties.

I'm sorry but you don't need 26 angles and 4 people to spot those penalties. Just 4 basic angles, one each would have shown it. Neville is right about why the TV cameras get their quicker, but that's a poor excuse for why the VAR guys didn't spot the penalties.

Totally agree, the VAR lack of response was utterly incredulous.

Totally agree US , there is no way in the world that is a penalty , it s an absolutely ridiculous decision and would have been a travesty had it affected the outcome of the game .
Also agree with you about Tripps . Thought he looked really at home and a constant threat in attack . Didn't let anyone down in defence either .
Now , if we can get Southgate to see that Young is not an international World Cup left back/ wing back , and that Sterling should be nowhere near an England shirt where he offers nothing in attack , midfield or tracking back in defence , then we will be a different prospect altogether.
Bring in Rose and Rashford , keep faith in Linguard , and keep bringing Loftus-cheek into the equation .
All in my humble honest opinion , but what do I know

100% concur!

It's very rare that we win a game and I'm still seething the morning after. I still can't believe we have perfectly good technology being ruined by the imbeciles using it. That total incompetence is unacceptable and needs a post assessment and statement by FIFA.

As for the game, I thought England did OK but there's more to come from them. I don't like the 2 right footers playing together on the left and still say Bertrand should have been in that squad. Other teams would have noticed that we're most vulnerable down our left and will exploit it better than Tunisia did. I hope Rose is recalled.

With Walker's penalty, I have no sympathy for him. He got in a bad position and tried to compensate by raising his arm and holding off the player. It was not a natural height to be swinging his arm and he was a lucky boy to not get the red.

With the Sterling debate, I can look at it both ways. He had to be in the game to be making the mistakes he did. With Dele and Lingard they were mostly invisible for chunks of the game. I'm not sure what's worse.

Muttley, good post. I will disagree with Walker a bit. He is a complete idiot and has a tendency to make boneheaded decisions...and to your point...yes he positioned himself poorly and through the eye of the beholder it could look bad. (hence the penalty and yellow) I do think when you look at the how the match was flowing and the sheer amount of flopping going on from Tunisia players...everytime time they were touched, they went down grabbing their face or something. Just seemed a bit harsh.

As for Dele...this is just who he is...he ghosts for chunks of game...and then boom he makes a great run or picks the perfect pass and influences the game. His first half was outstanding I thought...but yes in the second he was less of a factor.

Sterling...this one is tough. I just don't think he jives well with Kane. Rashford's movement off Kane is much more effective and you could see the immediate impact when he came on.

You have got to hand it to those referees, they are shit hot at not allowing the ball to be moving whilst a free kick is being taken . . Poland almost got away with one just now....you gave got to hand it to them .
In the meantime , has the law regarding the run up to take a penalty been rescinded, as per Son at Wembley in the FA cup. It certainly ain't being picked up on in Russia

Last edited: