Who would you keep from this rabble?? | Page 4 | Vital Football

Who would you keep from this rabble??

We are two points from the play-off places with a home game on Saturday, COYG.
There are at least 4 or 5 teams around us who have 1 or two games in hand. No, our season isn’t over, but neither is theirs.

If we did make the playoffs I have no confidence in this bunch to progress. Which is a huge shame given I think individually they’re the most talented squad we’ve had for a while, but they’re just not fighting for it and not playing as a team.

Last edited:
Interesting question, i'd base my choices on a squad rather than starting 11 so I would go with keeping 8 first team choices:

Turner, Morris (bench), ogie, masterson, ehmer (bench), clark (bench), hutton, williams, jefferies, coleman, dieng (bench), andrews, hawkins (bench)

Interesting question, i'd base my choices on a squad rather than starting 11 so I would go with keeping 8 first team choices:

Turner, Morris (bench), ogie, masterson, ehmer (bench), clark (bench), hutton, williams, jefferies, coleman, dieng (bench), andrews, hawkins (bench)
So that would only mean sending back the 3 loan signings (Mahoney, Hurtado, Walker) plus releasing three permanent players IF their contracts are expiring (Lapslie, Malone and Nadesan). We all think Shaun Williams will be retiring.

Of course, if Dom Jefferies does want to leave, he will need replacing as well.

That does seem pretty sensible. Then it is up to the recruitment team to only identify replacement players with the characteristics we have listed, to fill those 7 or 8 places (pace, energy, carrying the ball, better consistency, etc)

I think the title is a reflection of disappointment rather than a sensible assessment of our squad. I am sure that a number of them would attract significant interest if made available. The problem is of balance rather than overall quality and no amount of huff and puff, tactical nous, or leadership can mask that. All teams have each other watched, know the strengths and vulnerabilities and coach and set up to best advantage. That's why we can be frustrating to watch.

The usual caution: squad assembly is not a virtual game, we only control one side and that imperfectly. The players we want to keep may want to leave, or other teams may prise them from us. Finally remember Alfie May, it's a fluid operation and each move, or lack of move causes the boundaries to change. We didn't get it all wrong last year but let's hope lessons have been learned and we do better next time.

It's not feasible, I know. But all of them.

Except for Morris and Masterson.

I just don't like them.

I've never liked Hutton since he walked through the door. Real bad attitude about the lad. That video ffs. Clemence seems to think 5-3-2 is the answer because he has a player who can hit a half decent cross into a 6 foot 6 31 year old carthorse.

Burton. Why bother?

Turner, not good enough so we have to stick a 40 year old back in to shore it up.

Malone, J Williams and Dieng should be bossing things with their ability and experience. Also rans, at L2 level!

Headless chickens, poorly managed from the bottom to the top.

The recruitment team need to take a bloody good look at themselves.

I’d forgotten about Dom Jeffries.
I’d definitely offer him a long term contract.
He’s only going one way, and that’s up the divisions.
Rumour is that he wants away so maybe sell him if he doesn’t want to resign his contract.

In my opinion, we need two major/key additions next year. A powerful, pacey striker (still!) and we really need a good No.8 to play alongside Coleman and support Williams properly. A leader with a voice, ideally - someone like Joe Pritchard from Accrington who is out of contract and has southern roots. Dieng isn't consistent enough for me,
I`ve mentioned Pritchard a couple of times, as the type of midfield leader we are lacking. Have you seen him play much ? Think he`s injured ATM, but he`s certainly vocal and leads by example.

There are at least 4 or 5 teams around us who have 1 or two games in hand. No, our season isn’t over, but neither is theirs.

If we did make the playoffs I have no confidence in this bunch to progress. Which is a huge shame given I think individually they’re the most talented squad we’ve had for a while, but they’re just not fighting for it and not playing as a team.
I share doubts that we are now unlikely to finish in a play-off position.
However, paradoxically, we might do OK in a play-off scenario. A short, two-leg, series of ultra-defensive play involving a smash and grab tactic might suit our current line-up - especially if Andrews could play a part. Whether that tactic would be as playable at Wembley is another matter. We can but dream.

I’d forgotten about Dom Jeffries.
I’d definitely offer him a long term contract.
He’s only going one way, and that’s up the divisions.
Rumour is that he wants away so maybe sell him if he doesn’t want to resign his contract.
I had also forgotten about DJ. And Turner.

Goes to show that actually our recruitment has been very good. The only glaring error has been not recruiting enough up front.

I think people just want someone to blame. KJ and AH are scapegoats for the squad’s failure.

I had also forgotten about DJ. And Turner
Goes to show that actually our recruitment has been very good
. The only glaring error has been not recruiting enough up front.
I think people just want someone to blame. KJ and AH are scapegoats for the squad’s failure.
Watch it. Both those two go back to the days of Nicky Shorey and the Fish.:yes:

It's not feasible, I know. But all of them.

Except for Morris and Masterson.

I just don't like them.

I've never liked Hutton since he walked through the door. Real bad attitude about the lad. That video ffs. Clemence seems to think 5-3-2 is the answer because he has a player who can hit a half decent cross into a 6 foot 6 31 year old carthorse.

Burton. Why bother?

Turner, not good enough so we have to stick a 40 year old back in to shore it up.

Malone, J Williams and Dieng should be bossing things with their ability and experience. Also rans, at L2 level!

Headless chickens, poorly managed from the bottom to the top.

The recruitment team need to take a bloody good look at themselves.

I have to say im a bit perplexed people seem to be going for Hutton so hard. First off I think he was a massive upgrade at right back and still think that. I like Mckenzie and wish he was playing but he was a good defensive player with not enough going forward and we needed more going forward.

As for the video, the only thing we know was it was stupid, we dont know the context. What we also can assume is he was either told off or just apologised etc, its dealt with. Unless he does other stupid things I really dont think its a big deal.

And Turner is getting a lot of harsh stick. Hes a good L2 Goalkeeper and can develop at his age after his first full season as number 1. I know people are going at the distribution but how many keepers outside of Gazzaniga have had great distribution? He can improve and given time and hard work he will.

I have to say im a bit perplexed people seem to be going for Hutton so hard. First off I think he was a massive upgrade at right back and still think that. I like Mckenzie and wish he was playing but he was a good defensive player with not enough going forward and we needed more going forward.

As for the video, the only thing we know was it was stupid, we dont know the context. What we also can assume is he was either told off or just apologised etc, its dealt with. Unless he does other stupid things I really dont think its a big deal.

And Turner is getting a lot of harsh stick. Hes a good L2 Goalkeeper and can develop at his age after his first full season as number 1. I know people are going at the distribution but how many keepers outside of Gazzaniga have had great distribution? He can improve and given time and hard work he will.
I think it’s worth a shot at McKenzie as right back in a flat back four with Hutton in front of him.
Malone as left back.

I think it’s worth a shot at McKenzie as right back in a flat back four with Hutton in front of him.
Malone as left back.
Depending on who reports fit SC may well be considering that and a few other options.

I remember a game at Bury where were so poor that the away support was chanting " We're shit and we know we are". Bobby Gould was sat behinfd us and was much amused by our good humour in the face of a limp defeat. Turns out a good part of the squad were either poorly, or just going beginning to go down with something. As a fan with no knowledge of this it looked like they just weren't bothered.

💯

Hutton has been one outstanding performer. I think the problem is that in the short time since signing he’s had a fight with a team ‘mate’ and posted a stupid video.

Let's be honest, we can hope and pray for whoever we like...until the puppet masters (recruitment) are removed, we will be sorely dissapointed.

I`ve mentioned Pritchard a couple of times, as the type of midfield leader we are lacking. Have you seen him play much ? Think he`s injured ATM, but he`s certainly vocal and leads by example.

Enough to know he's the sort of player who would improve our team. He's vocal, has captained Stanley, leads by example and is productive - I agree. Still only 27. Think I read he has around 10 goal involvements for them this year. Injuries are a concern, but he's better than Dieng/Jefferies for me and would be available for nothing.

I have to say im a bit perplexed people seem to be going for Hutton so hard.

I'm all for mix of opinions, but I can't fathom how anyone doesn't see what he brings the team. He's night and day better than our other options.
His character? That's for the coaching staff to evaluate and manage. I care about what he's doing on the pitch and if he's not a problem to the dressing room, carry on.

I know a few people said they didn't like his actions at Barrow. Me? Personally, I'm glad someone looked hacked off at our efforts. He wouldn't have done that if he didn't care about winning. We need more people with that fire, not fewer.