Who would you keep from this rabble?? | Vital Football

Who would you keep from this rabble??

Cookiejar

Vital Reserves Team
I am asuming here we dont go on a barnstorming run and we fail to make the play offs.

I just cannot connect with this squad, from the car incident, the hutton video and their general lack of passion and effort, not to mention the sulking when Harris left I just dont like them.

Who would we all look to keep for next season???

I'd rather your post was titled who would we like to see the back of?
For me - Jackett, Hess, Bonne, Nadesan, Malone, S Williams for a start.

I think the list of who we keep will be shorter than the list of who should go, so can understand the question being phrased that way
Players,Turner, Ogie, Elmer, Masterson, Williams J, Andrews, Coleman,
Keep none of the management team including recruitment and director of Football.

Last edited:
On whether it should be a "who should we keep" or "who should we get rid of" question...

Surprisingly I'm not sure there's actually a great number that I'm individually desperate to get shot of ASAP, but similarly there's few that I'd make a huge effort to retain or would be especially disappointed should they move on.

Keep Ogie and Coleman for sure. Hutton hasn't had a great start for reasons outlined in the OP but has crossing ability. Andrews obviously stays as I'm assuming he's contracted past the end of season and he's not put a foot wrong yet (ha!). Aside from his aberration last night Masterson should be retained. Jefferies wants out I believe, but I think he offers more than the most of the midfield.

The rest, for me, are damaged goods and I'd happily thank them for their services and wave goodbye.

Dieng, Lapslie and to a large degree Jonny Williams have all failed to deliver compared to their records elsewhere

Morris last night was partially culpable for both goals and will only decline given his age, Turner shows no urgency, McKenzie is hamstrung because he doesn't command a specific starting role and Clark blows hot and cold. A case could be made for keeping Ehmer given his longevity of service, but it might be time to look to fresher options.

Malone should be a leading light in this division yet can't making the starting lineup and Shaun Williams is past it.

Nadesan is a waste of a contract, ditto Jayden Clarke.

Hawkins... again a case could be made, but do we want to continue with a style where "lump it to the big man who gets fouled and receives nothing" is our style of play? He's not mobile enough to offer anything else.

It's a short list.

Ogie
Masterson (hoping he's having a blip)
Hutton
Coleman
Jonny Williams (unless we can find an improvement - not easy)

[Edit: On reflection, Max has possibly earned another 12 months.]

Jury out on Andrews (as we haven't seen him!) and Max Clark - but he's probably ok for another year in league 2.

That's it. I wouldn't even sign Mahoney if he was available - too much of a luxury player and he's not quick.

Last edited:
Get rid of KJ Clem and Hess, we’re basically paying for 3 managers and collectively they’ve done a shit job.

I just can’t believe when you look at the players CVs we should be as poor as we are.

Hutton is decent, in fact the whole of the back 5 should stay.

Jonnie Williams has got his act together. Lapslie was one of the most sought after midfielders in the league when we signed him surely someone can get a tune out of him. Keep Colman. Andrew’s hasn’t played a game (cracking signing when we’re badly in need of a CF) so who knows.

Man I miss Jorge. For the 85 minutes he featured I actually enjoyed being at Priestfield (slightly concerning that’s less than one match in total and I’ve been to every home game).

Everyone else can go.

Jonnie Williams has got his act together.
I would probably put him down as being our most disappointing signing.

True that he's improved a little of late but he's still largely ineffectual, it's a damning indictment of both his and the team's performance that he's getting any credit for just showing a little bit of effort.

Too many players here on good good money not delivering. I think Hawkins injury is makinf him ineffective. If hes out of contract then surely hes let go.

The problem is no one for sure knows whos in or out of contract??

I would probably put him down as being our most disappointing signing.

True that he's improved a little of late but he's still largely ineffectual, it's a damning indictment of both his and the team's performance that he's getting any credit for just showing a little bit of effort.

I agree on Williams. Think he’s a player that can deceive you and looks like he’s doing a lot without really doing anything.

Blimey, 8 games to go and we're already shipping everyone out!
Have you seen the last 3 games not just the results the way we've been playing? If you think we stand any chance of reaching the play offs then I will have a pint of what you've been drinking.

Keep:

Jonny Williams (super player)
Shad Ogie
Connor Masterson
Ethan Coleman
Remeo Hutton
Max Ehmer
Jake Turner
Scott Malone

I really like George Lapslie but, not sure whether he`s settled - jury`s out.

My view may be controversial (and I have to admit I didn't watch last night's game) but I think most of the problems currently are down to a desperate lack of confidence in the whole squad.

I think Dieng for example looks a very good player for this level, but when the team is playing well. When we're having an off day, he seems to sink to the level that those around him are playing at.

I suppose that what I am thinking is that an average amount of change in the summer (and bringing in a goalscorer and a leader), I think many of these players would look much better next season

We should remember Harris outburst after
the rotherham game when he publicly stated he didnt want any of the contracted players........most were here the following year as they had a contract.

Who is out of contract is a better question.

The only players i hope we keep are

Ogie
Masterson
Hutton
Coleman

Others id be ok if they stayed or left but they are the only ones i hope we keep.

We should look at AFCW recruitment team they seem to find some decent strikers for league 2

My view may be controversial (and I have to admit I didn't watch last night's game) but I think most of the problems currently are down to a desperate lack of confidence in the whole squad.

I think Dieng for example looks a very good player for this level, but when the team is playing well. When we're having an off day, he seems to sink to the level that those around him are playing at.

I suppose that what I am thinking is that an average amount of change in the summer (and bringing in a goalscorer and a leader), I think many of these players would look much better next season

If that's the type of characters we've recruited that can only play when things are going well and confidence is high, we need to ship most of them out.

IMO most of this squad don't have the inner desire, want, will to run around a football pitch and show energy and enthusiasm as a bare minimum. Half the time turning up looks like an inconvenience for some of them. Individually they've been hit and miss so collectively they've been the same.

Feel abit for Clemence because don't think anybody knows what they're going to get from most of this squad from one game to the next. That makes the managers job nigh on impossible and a lucky dip.

Think we've recruited some technically good players, but also very inconsistent performers and some characters with questionable desire and a willingness to work.

What we really need is a captain, a leader who will drive the team on.

Ehmer is not a captain, he is not vocal, he doesnt drive and demand higher performance from his team mates.

Did he look inspirational last night ? He's like clemence a very nice chap but not someone I would want leading me into battle.

Two signings -old school captain and a striker who can convert fairly frequently- and we have a football team. I say that as if it were simple. It isn’t. But with those two in place, watch morale, application, and confidence spread to the rest.