FFP charges? | Page 85 | Vital Football

FFP charges?

Most supporters of other clubs I come across either havn’t got the facts and are fed headlines or once prOvided with facts are sympathetic. Feel once the ruling is out and delivered it will fade from most memory.
Exactly. Just look at what Chelsea and City have been allowed to do at the start of the century. That would no longer be possible for new owners (like EM) to fast track a competitive push and try and break through.

IMO only there should be an owners guarantee/lien that if they walk away they underwrite all losses before selling/walking. But they allow the owners to build and spend how they see fit
many owners will walk away and say find me. Expensive legal process. Any losses above a certain amount should be converted in to shares. Clubs do not hold large debts. The owner does. If he walks away he takes the debt with him/her.

Exactly. Just look at what Chelsea and City have been allowed to do at the start of the century. That would no longer be possible for new owners (like EM) to fast track a competitive push and try and break through.

IMO only there should be an owners guarantee/lien that if they walk away they underwrite all losses before selling/walking. But they allow the owners to build and spend how they see fit
What happens if the owner is bankrupted during the season, who covers the losses when they are, legally, allowed to default?
The loan would be worthless.

Hence PSR permits allowable losses.

Also, a reason why the owners statement is important within yearly accounts.
They promise to cover any losses the business accrues.

In the case of liquidation, obviously, that statement is bunkum, but allows the liquidator, HMRC etc to know who to contact when claimants (tax man, really) are looking for their pence on the pound.

These new rules they want to impose will make competing even more difficult

Spending 85% of revenue on players and wages. Luton and Bournemouth would have about £2m to spend!!

Anyone know what our revenues are for the last FY out of curiosity

it means we need a new stadium, sharpish.

These new rules they want to impose will make competing even more difficult

Spending 85% of revenue on players and wages. Luton and Bournemouth would have about £2m to spend!!

Anyone know what our revenues are for the last FY out of curiosity

The accounts haven't been filed yet. Guess we will find out the revenue when they get filed at (probably) the end of this month, unless it gets divulged in the PSR decision.

That’s like saying that keeping eye contact with the shopkeeper while you steal a packet of rolos isn’t as bad as just stealing it.

I don’t agree with it, but from the outside of our club, we’ve cheated. It’s harsh, but so is getting caught fishing without a licence.
That’s not a good comparison. It’s more like do you mind if I have that now and I will pop in later with the cash once my giro comes through and you do!

Say Forest's turnover for 23/24 would be around 200m, that's a possible £170m on salary - doubt we'd be anywhere close to £200m, but for arguments sake...

If all this dosh went towards the 25 players, that's an average of £6.8m per player in other words £130k per week.

Obviously, the salary threshold is for the entire business - would a burden of £15/20m for non-playing/coaching staff seem reasonable for NFFC?

If so, £150m for the players/coaches. Divided by 25 players thats £6m PA / £115k pw.

It would be crazy bananas to spend that amount. However, even reducing that average spend to £80k it would be difficult to fathom a shit squad being assembled.

Point is, there's only so much money any club wishes to pay any player.
Its not as if Man City are gonna spunk £50m on one players wages, as, surely, that would upset the equilibrium of their squad?

It would be crazy bananas to spend that amount. However, even reducing that average spend to £80k it would be difficult to fathom a shit squad being assembled.

We could definitely manage to do that.

What's Man Ure or Chelsea's average spend?

We could definitely manage to do that.

What's Man Ure or Chelsea's average spend?
No idea, but this was revenue 2022/2023 in million euros, according to deloitte

City - 827
Man U - 745
Scouse - 638
Spurs - 632
Chelseas - 589
Arsenal - 533
Newcastle - 288
West Ham - 275

and then you run off with it anyway?
No you get the money and pay it. We got the Johnson money and maximized it rather than take a much lower amount. Look according to reports we were in constant communication with the premier league about this. I guess the key is what were they telling us.

No you get the money and pay it. We got the Johnson money and maximized it rather than take a much lower amount. Look according to reports we were in constant communication with the premier league about this. I guess the key is what were they telling us.
Yeah but you left the shop and ate the rolos at the bus stop - then went back and paid. That’s still stealing

The question with this system is how any promoted club is supposed to work it.

Is it based on previous years revenue (known) or current year's revenue (not known).

For instance, how are you supposed to know what you are allowed to spend if based on current year revenue? You won't know what it is! Does that revenue include player sales? How are you supposed to know if you are going to sell all your boxes in May or get to the quarter finals of a cup with multiple home games?

So if it is based on previous year's revenues, how is any promoted club possibly supposed to compete financially? They will be conforming to 85% of championship revenues?

What am I missing here in terms of how this is supposed to work?

Yeah but you left the shop and ate the rolos at the bus stop - then went back and paid. That’s still stealing
Well not if the shop owner said you could that’s the point isn’t it. What did the premier league say in this constant communication we had with them apparently?

Is it based on previous years revenue (known) or current year's revenue (not known).

For instance, how are you supposed to know what you are allowed to spend if based on current year revenue? You won't know what it is! Does that revenue include player sales? How are you supposed to know if you are going to sell all your boxes in May or get to the quarter finals of a cup with multiple home games?

So if it is based on previous year's revenues, how is any promoted club possibly supposed to compete financially? They will be conforming to 85% of championship revenues?

Presuming its current season, add £100m given thats the TV money any promoted side would earn through playing an EPL season?

If its the previous season, they're automatically relegated.

I wonder which one it would be...hmm...give me a minute.

Last edited:

It will never be spot on, but most Premier clubs should have a pretty decent idea of income. Most of it comes directly from the PL for tv money etc anyway. Add on season ticket sales (known before the season) and pretty much guaranteed 19 sold out home games. At our end of the table a few cup games might be a bonus, but still relatively small, and even clubs like Spurs seem to have to work on a player out (say Kane) gives a budget for players in.

Must be a lot easier in our division than lower leagues where crowds vary week to week, and income is a lot lower and more susceptible to on the field performance.

Well not if the shop owner said you could that’s the point isn’t it. What did the premier league say in this constant communication we had with them apparently?
Oooo good point

If we avoid a points deduction I’ll steal everyone a packet of rolos from cloughies shop on the av

That’s like saying that keeping eye contact with the shopkeeper while you steal a packet of rolos isn’t as bad as just stealing it.

I don’t agree with it, but from the outside of our club, we’ve cheated. It’s harsh, but so is getting caught fishing without a licence.
I got caught fishing once, I was stuck in their net for ages before they released me chap!