Transfer talk - summer 2024 | Vital Football

Transfer talk - summer 2024

Chronic

Vital Football Hero
First bit of departure news trickling in from Alan Nixon (who else) - McBurnie and Jebbison both want fresh starts and are expected to leave when their contracts expire.

I think Jebbison is one of the youth players. Possibly? Who cares.

McBurnie will be a serious loss but for all we know he'll miss 25 games next season, so maybe not so much. At least we won't be in the awkward position where we're committed to someone with such unavailability issues as first choice centre forward. It does though seal a catastrophic (£0) return on our two £20m striker purchases.

If we know these two are leaving now then we have no excuse for failing to recruit in the centre forward position. It becomes the immediate priority.

Will be interested to see if anyone else can get any more out of McBurnie - his body just doesn't hold up to the pressures of professional football.

Could we have got more out of him - or is this always going to be the case with him :hmmm:

First bit of departure news trickling in from Alan Nixon (who else) - McBurnie and Jebbison both want fresh starts and are expected to leave when their contracts expire.

I think Jebbison is one of the youth players. Possibly? Who cares.

McBurnie will be a serious loss but for all we know he'll miss 25 games next season, so maybe not so much. At least we won't be in the awkward position where we're committed to someone with such unavailability issues as first choice centre forward. It does though seal a catastrophic (£0) return on our two £20m striker purchases.

If we know these two are leaving now then we have no excuse for failing to recruit in the centre forward position. It becomes the immediate priority.
I think mcB would do well in the championship for us you could see the difference he made to how we play yesterday but hes another that's made if twiglets we're lucky if we get one in three out of him so for that reason I'm happy to let him go as for the zero return like mousset his goals in that 1st season kept us up so in that respect the fee was justified although I get the fact he leaves for nowt will grate with some
Jebbo is interesting he was determined to leave but chris thought hed smoothed that over he's got talent but is another who spends too much time on the treatment table so although I'd like him to stay I wont lose sleep if he leaves
This is only me sumizing but yesterday gave some pointers as Chris's thinking fir next season so anel and vini are more than likely to be offloaded anel wants to go so I'm happy for him to leave and vini is poor so wont be missed imo one decent game against luton is no reason to keep him

If Wilder's staying and involved in recruitment shouln't we be reverting to his 'players that fit the ethos' criteria?
Right attitude, fit in with the rest, die for the cause types.
Ally that to hungry, young,resilient, fit -and able to stay fit- and we might at least have a plan, a blueprint to judge new recruits' suitability.

Got to be better than the 'odd jobs,pick,mix and pray' assortment that we've gone for in the more recent past.

You just know McBurnie will string 40 games together for whoever signs him next season.

Regarding possible replacements - and I do think we should look for quite like for like replacements - here are a few that come to mind, but there aren't too many...

Kieffer Moore - excellent target man and under rated footballer. 100% gettable. It would be a smart move to get him in early, and establish that minimum baseline for our attack. He'd be a good early foundation block.

Sam Gallagher - not scoring enough but he's a good target man and out of contract.

Emil Riis - One year on his contract at Preston and has been scoring since returning to fitness. Looked excellent a couple of years back, and still only 25. Wilder bid big money for him when at Boro.

Moore is the safest one of those 3, fitness wise and goals wise. But also the oldest.

You just know McBurnie will string 40 games together for whoever signs him next season.

Regarding possible replacements - and I do think we should look for quite like for like replacements - here are a few that come to mind, but there aren't too many...

Kieffer Moore - excellent target man and under rated footballer. 100% gettable. It would be a smart move to get him in early, and establish that minimum baseline for our attack. He'd be a good early foundation block.

Sam Gallagher - not scoring enough but he's a good target man and out of contract.

Emil Riis - One year on his contract at Preston and has been scoring since returning to fitness. Looked excellent a couple of years back, and still only 25. Wilder bid big money for him when at Boro.

Moore is the safest one of those 3, fitness wise and goals wise. But also the oldest.
Out of those 3 I really like Emil Riis I am not sure why he went off the boil but has really discovered is best form. I think over a season he would do better than McB but if we have McB and Jebbo leaving we need 2 new strikers . There are plenty of very good players in the Championship and most clubs in a worse financial position that SUFC.

We'll no doubt be relying on loanees a lot but I'd be too embarrassed to ask Man City for another one so we may have to make do from the rest.

There should be more permanent signing in the next window than the rest of the time the Prince has been in charge. There are that many players leaving there has to be. The work needs to start now the job is that big.

We have to hope he's learned from last time.

We have to be prepared to spend a bit extra in order to get deals over the line early.

I'd like Jimmy Dunne, Paddy McNair through the door by July 1st - both out of contract though I think QPR have an option on Dunne. Kieffer Moore as well ideally.

We then need to be ready to offer Callum O'Hare as much as anyone else in the Championship is willing to.

Where is Jebbo by the way? At pressers when Wilder talks about the injury list nobody ever asks about him? What injury does he have, must be a bad one as he's missed the entire season to date.

I said years ago i'd like us to sign Moore(when he was on loan at Rovrum)some laffed at my suggestion but i still think he'd do a good job for us next season.Hopefully Our Chris will get the answers he wants when he's with the Prince for a few days next week regardin the summer transfer window targets.UTB

Last edited:
Does this keep him out for a season?

I might be doing him a disservice, but he's become like the never ending sicknotes, who go missing with an injury (muscle, unspecified...) and we never see them again... We've had the best part of a team in this situation for about four seasons now. I'm guessing they aren't on Statutory Sick Pay...

I can't wait to see the back of that utter waste of space Jebbison. Permanently unavailable players with delusions about their own value and ability generally aren't missed too badly.

What really grates on me is the club's utter mismanagement of him. He should have been contracted for longer. Whenever that was no longer possible, and he was in his last 2 years, then it was decision time. But the club just sat on him like they had all the time in the world, and nothing to lose. Well, they have lost something. They've lost a lot. Not only have we had to pay him to do fuck all, we have also forgone an easy few million in the bank that we could have got from Everton or any other mugs seduced by his 'profile'.

He is a lesson in how not to manage an asset. So is that other invisible man Coulibaly.

Be less hesitant, be less precious, be realistic, take good money when it's on offer. That will never result in a disaster, will it. It's hardly like anyone expected Jebbison to be a starter last season or this, is it? Well in that case, if he's not signing...... FFS, what were they playing at?

Of the remaining expiring contracts, the only ones I'd consider retaining are Bogle, Osborn, Egan and possibly RND.

The others I'm desperate to see the back of are Norwood, Lowe and Foderingham.

I'd reluctantly say farewell to Basham and Baldock. It's a risk with Baldock but the timing seems right and it's the kind of call we have to start being better at.

The ones I want sold are Anel and Souza. We can pay Brewster off as well.

The above would allow for a full reset, which is what we now need.

The focus then needs to be on bringing in established top end Championship players who are low risk and would form the next core.

I suspect Wilder is very much looking forward to this opportunity. Hopefully he has good news after meeting the owner this week.

I'm just wonderin if anyone has seen much of Hearts striker Lawrence Shankland?One or two rumours that he could be on the move this summer,does anyone think he could do a job for us,he's scored 27 goals this season so far,he's 28 years old.UTB

I'm just wonderin if anyone has seen much of Hearts striker Lawrence Shankland?One or two rumours that he could be on the move this summer,does anyone think he could do a job for us,he's scored 27 goals this season so far,he's 28 years old.UTB
I've seen him a few times on Sky this season playing against Rangers and Celtic and in the Edinburgh derby and I think he scored in every game. He's definitely got an eye for a goal but he's a Glasgow lad who's only ever ventured outside Scotland for one season so my guess is that he'll end up at Rangers or Celtic

He was at Beershot, the club owned by the Prince. What happened to the plan of SUFC getting the best players from these feeder clubs. Could have got him cheap but ……

He was at Beershot, the club owned by the Prince. What happened to the plan of SUFC getting the best players from these feeder clubs. Could have got him cheap but ……
What abart the Pig loanee Ugbo,have ya seen much of him BFL? He's scored a few for the grunters.UTB