The Official Tranmere Rovers Match Thread (Sponsored by Something Vaguely Amusing "for all your lack of imagination needs") | Page 8 | Vital Football

The Official Tranmere Rovers Match Thread (Sponsored by Something Vaguely Amusing "for all your lack of imagination needs")

I can’t work out if Clemence’s persistence to start with Nadesen is down to his naivety or inability as a coach, or to try and make a point to those above that this is what he’s been left with.
What are the alternatives?

Walker has a great workrate but doesn't look like he'll make something happen or score a goal. There's no reason to think Gbode would do any better. The others are injured.

Frustrating we signed a bunch of duff players that have difficulty in putting in a shift for 90 mins.
Frustrating we dithered so long to replace a manager and when we finally do he proves to be no better than the previous one.
Frustrating an extra 2,000 people come and watch us play Wrexham then all fuck off at the next home game.
Frustrating that we will probably still be playing league 2 football next season.
Wouldn't call Williams J, Masterson, Hutton, Ogie & Coleman duff players.

Last edited:
I can’t work out if Clemence’s persistence to start with Nadesen is down to his naivety or inability as a coach, or to try and make a point to those above that this is what he’s been left with.

You can't play Hawkins up top on his own and he can't fancy the fella we've got on loan from Burton or surely he would start ahead of Nads?

Nads is bereft of confidence. He needs a goal from somewhere, a ricochet off his arse would do.

Walker has a great workrate but doesn't look like he'll make something happen or score a goal. There's no reason to think Gbode would do any better. The others are injured.
We made this exact point on GITB Match Day Live. Essentially he gets in by default I think.

You can't play Hawkins up top on his own and he can't fancy the fella we've got on loan from Burton or surely he would start ahead of Nads?

Nads is bereft of confidence. He needs a goal from somewhere, a ricochet off his arse would do.
If we have players around him (Lapslie and Mahoney, for example), it can work - it’s basically what the second half was today. Ordinarily I’d agree, I wouldn’t want Hawkins up front on his own (he’s not mobile enough), but sacrificing Nadesen for a player who can do something with the ball is a step in the right direction, as is going to four at the back.

Nadesan is too one dimensional and is easy to defend against. Lapslie and later Walker both showed far more than Nadesan could. I like Nadesan, I don't doubt his effort - he doesn't hide from the ball but he just doesn't have ability for our needs. His touch is awful, his passing today was shocking, most of his off the ball runs aren't clever enough.

Lapslie immediately found pockets of space and his one touch passing and his energy when Tranmere had the ball was a big reason our second half started so strongly.

In the lead up to the corner for our goal Walker received the ball at pace with a defender applying pressure to his back and still made a fantastic first touch and lay off back to Mahoney which I doubt Nads would have managed.

Nads has had a decent run of games now, I think it's fair that Lapslie or Walker has the same opportunity.

Nichols is the one we should have kept in January.
I think over half of us on this forum knew that at the time. A crazy decision to dump him for an injured replacement who, it appears, isn’t going to feature this season.

I'd love to see Walker start against the wombles, at least when he touches the ball it doesn't fly off 5 yards. It's almost like Nads has rubber on the tip of his boots 😂

It's because we had Nadesen 1st half who was awful, like playing with 10 men, then Mahoney 2nd half who was superb. He's so creative and always has everyone on the edge of their seats when he receives the ball, the best and most skillful player in the club. His link up play with Hutton is great to watch, why on earth has it taken so long for Clem to realise that. He must start on Tuesday.

TBF, when Mahoney was in the side a month or 2 ago, the cry from fans was “He’s lazy, he’s a luxury, like playing a man down when we don’t have the ball”. And a lot of comments about him and Hutton playing in the same area and getting in each others way.

If he (and they both) play more like 2nd half today then all will be good.

First half was dire different team second half and could have won it very suprised we started with the same eleven as Tuesday needed freshening up which was proved don’t know what to expect next as we are so unpredictable

I think the 2nd half side, and a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 formation is better for home games.

Wouldn’t like to see this current lot play 4-4-2 v AFCW (or away to any of the better sides). Recipe for us being 2 or 3 down at h/t, rather than still “in it” when we seem to do better later in games.

Huge gaps in our left back area they keep exploiting - not sure where Clark is or the left sided centre back

Tranmere‘s Rob Apter (playing that side for them I think), is one of the best players in L2 from everything I’ve seen and read. Amazed he was loaned back to them after he was initially recalled in Jan. Felt sure he’d be off to L1. Wish we’d enquired.

I think the 2nd half side, and a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 formation is better for home games.

Wouldn’t like to see this current lot play 4-4-2 v AFCW (or away to any of the better sides). Recipe for us being 2 or 3 down at h/t, rather than still “in it” when we seem to do better later in games.
I agree. Hutton isn't a good enough defender to be included in a back four when trying to withstand pressure. Tranmere seemed to be firstly attacking down the other wing and then trying to hold on to what they had got. The Wombles wont do that on their own patch.

In any case, Ogie does not deserve to be left out. It will be Hutton and Clark's responsibility to push up and help the midfield so they are not overrun in a 3-5-2.

Last edited:

Agreed. Away from home we need to be tighter and nick a one goal win.

At home we need to show more intent from the off. I think mahoney is a must starter for home games less sure for aways, more of a sub to come on and nick the win.

Tranmere‘s Rob Apter (playing that side for them I think), is one of the best players in L2 from everything I’ve seen and read. Amazed he was loaned back to them after he was initially recalled in Jan. Felt sure he’d be off to L1. Wish we’d enquired.

Thought he played very well, but did produce probably one of the worst finishes I've ever seen early in the 2nd half. Should've made it 0-2, instead put the ball somewhere near the corner flag

A loan move for a 21 year old from Blackpool to Tranmere is very different to one from Blackpool to Gillingham.

Useless extended highlights on iFollow didn’t even show the disallowed goal. Who does this crap editing ? It must be deliberate. It wasn’t even if it was overly controversial looking at the replays I’ve seen.