The Official Tranmere Rovers Match Thread (Sponsored by Something Vaguely Amusing "for all your lack of imagination needs") | Page 7 | Vital Football

The Official Tranmere Rovers Match Thread (Sponsored by Something Vaguely Amusing "for all your lack of imagination needs")

Key word today is frustrating.

Frustrating first half home display. Another copy & paste insipid performance where all our ingrained faults were there for all to see.

Frustrating second half in which we dominated but lacked the requisite luck & quality to get the precious 3 points.

Frustrating that yet again at Priestfield we've failed to beat a team that's no great shakes & for the first 45 made them look like the side competing for the play offs.

Frustrating that if we were able to score goals we'd be comfortably in the play offs & possibly vying for automatic promotion such is the nature of L2.

Frustrating that we are so inconsistent & just cannot put in the critical run of results.

I've been trying to understand why we offer so little creativity from open play. Just about every advanced player receives the ball with their back to goal, they are facing the wrong way and so inevitably go backwards or sideways as they lack the ability or confidence to turn and go forwards.

To illustrate this Mahoney always span to face forwards every time he got the ball, he was immediately on the attack. No one else does this.

We can't play balls into the channels as Hawkins is the most immobile CF in the league. He's great at set pieces but he's not running the channels for you. Infact he's basically playing his own sport of grappling with the defender. Not his fault but that's how it is.

Nads just looks lost - I struggle to believe that he is a professional footballer.

So until Mahoney came on we have to go sideways and backwards before launching it to Hawkins who would have two defenders grappling with him.

That's why our top scorer is a CB.

The only saving grace for me was getting the correct result and our correct scorer in the prediction league.

I can't remember the last time that happened.

There are various rumours about Andrews and/or Hurtado getting much closer to fitness, earlier than expected. We can only hope.

Really don’t understand why we can’t perform in the first half, a rescued point in the end against the side with the worst away record in the division.
It's because we had Nadesen 1st half who was awful, like playing with 10 men, then Mahoney 2nd half who was superb. He's so creative and always has everyone on the edge of their seats when he receives the ball, the best and most skillful player in the club. His link up play with Hutton is great to watch, why on earth has it taken so long for Clem to realise that. He must start on Tuesday.

Was it just me or did anyone else get bored with Luke Norris's persistent moaning & petulance. He is quite comfortably the most sulky footballer I've seen in the last 35 years! His body language used to irritate me when he played for us.
When posters have been saying that this is one of the most unlikeable Gills teams, Luke Norris came in to my mind as one of most unlikeable ex-players.

Always looked like he was going through the motions and just wanted everything teed up for him without putting in the effort.

OK when joining a team that is winning anyway, but not one for the trenches.

I wonder when they will realise that we aren’t good enough to give the opposition a 1-0 head start?

It’s not year 10 vs year 7 in the playground

First half was dire different team second half and could have won it very suprised we started with the same eleven as Tuesday needed freshening up which was proved don’t know what to expect next as we are so unpredictable

It's because we had Nadesen 1st half who was awful, like playing with 10 men, then Mahoney 2nd half who was superb. He's so creative and always has everyone on the edge of their seats when he receives the ball, the best and most skillful player in the club. His link up play with Hutton is great to watch, why on earth has it taken so long for Clem to realise that. He must start on Tuesday.
Agree about Mahoney today he was really good. Wish he would do it every week though. Lapslie also made a difference. Nadeson has to be about the weakest forward I've ever seen

It's because we had Nadesen 1st half who was awful, like playing with 10 men
I can’t work out if Clemence’s persistence to start with Nadesen is down to his naivety or inability as a coach, or to try and make a point to those above that this is what he’s been left with.

Until Andrews or Hurtado return, I think we need to go four at the back, possibly 4-3-3 with Hawkins the lone forward (Mahoney has to play for creativity, as frustrating as he can be). Maybe Lapslie the other side, in front of a midfield of Coleman, Williams and Dieng. Five at the back doesn’t work when our forwards don’t give the opposition enough to worry about - it leaves us massively overran in the middle.

Key word today is frustrating.

Frustrating first half home display. Another copy & paste insipid performance where all our ingrained faults were there for all to see.

Frustrating second half in which we dominated but lacked the requisite luck & quality to get the precious 3 points.

Frustrating that yet again at Priestfield we've failed to beat a team that's no great shakes & for the first 45 made them look like the side competing for the play offs.

Frustrating that if we were able to score goals we'd be comfortably in the play offs & possibly vying for automatic promotion such is the nature of L2.

Frustrating that we are so inconsistent & just cannot put in the critical run of results.
Frustrating we signed a bunch of duff players that have difficulty in putting in a shift for 90 mins.
Frustrating we dithered so long to replace a manager and when we finally do he proves to be no better than the previous one.
Frustrating an extra 2,000 people come and watch us play Wrexham then all fuck off at the next home game.
Frustrating that we will probably still be playing league 2 football next season.

The change of formation and introduction of Lapslie and Mahoney at half time made a massive difference.

Not sure if Ogie was withdrawn at half time due to injury but if not then have to commend the management team for making the change.

We were so much better in the second half and if we play like that for 90 minutes we will win more games than we do currently.

My wife said our guys get into great positions on offense but then just aren’t quick enough in front of goal. She also said there seemed to be more of their guys than ours. That was on about 40 minutes. We tried Gordon Road F. Very quiet and no one even claps hardly. I feel sorry for the Welsh/Scouser away contingent. One bloke with a big, booming voice who thinks he’s witty. He may be, but it was hard to tell, and his own people’s reaction was no help. Hoping this is the first of many for us.

First 45 was like a game I played in on New Years Day when everyone had a hangover. We were bad but Tranmere were awful in front of goal which was just as well really. Their goal was the only bit of quality. Nadesan did absolutely nothing right. Still wasn’t the worst one on the pitch which was the ref who had a shocker. Second 45 he wasn’t much better but at least we didn’t have to suffer Nadesan because he got the hook. Never really understood the 5 at the back at home so I was glad to see that ditched for the second half as well. Mahoney made a big difference because he actually attacks his opponent. With the extra midfielder we looked competitive all over the pitch. Not sure how we only scored once with all the chances we created although Tranmere got a lot of bodies in the way. In the end not the worst result but we need another one on Tuesday. Special mention to Hutton today who increasingly looks like the leader we need on the pitch. Another special mention for the back of Block 7 who spent most of the second half teaching small children how to call the referee a nonce

Another poor performance, nothing impressive at all, lucky to get a draw

BUT

The target for this season was challenging for the play-offs, and we are
Absolutely mathematically correct, but there are now four teams below us who can occupy the playoff spot should they win their game(s) in hand.