The Official Tranmere Rovers Match Thread (Sponsored by Something Vaguely Amusing "for all your lack of imagination needs") | Vital Football

The Official Tranmere Rovers Match Thread (Sponsored by Something Vaguely Amusing "for all your lack of imagination needs")

HerrLjunga

Vital 1st Team Regular
After two successive trips to the North-West totalling some 860 miles and three points from six, we return to Priestfield today to face a team from...the North-West in Tranmere Rovers.

Last Saturday was a solid performance in trying conditions, Tuesday was a tired performance in slightly less trying conditions, so it's likely Clem will mix up the starting XI to try and inject a little freshness against a side sat in 18th who have, in recent times, thumped Stockport 4-0 but also managed succumb to Forest Green and Donny.

The need for three points today is pressing given our midweek slip-up against Barrow which has left us in 9th, still with a horrendous goal difference and other sides above and below us now having at least a game in hand. We're undefeated at Priestfield since Boxing Day, but in the six matches we've played in that time we've only won twice and occasionally played out some exceptionally directionless halves in labouring to results.

Gills are trailing in the head to head by 8 wins to 15 since the first meeting in 1962. Incredibly it took 18 attempts to beat Tranmere for the first time, a 3-0 win at Priestfield in the final game of 1976/77 courtesy of goals from Westwood, Price and Richardson. For the highlights we'll remind ourselves of the days when we had players with actual attacking ability and flair, Cody Mac and Bradley Dack with the goals in a 2-0 win.

The rumours of the B Team demise, especially the alleged release of MacArthur and Orji has irked me somewhat, as has being in Kent but unable to attend today, but the pessimist in me suspects it'll be the usual aimless first half followed by a moderate improvement and a low scoring end result.

On that cheery note, enjoy the game and...

COYG!!!

Last edited:
Approaching a must win game today. Certainly must not lose. Fingers crossed that Tuesday night was an understandable bad day at work. Will be interesting to see if the team is freshened up. Gut feeling it will be the same starting 11, rightly or wrongly. Sunny & mild weather which I'm taking as a good omen.

Sadly, I feel that Tuesday was near the norm for us and good performances are the exception that proves the rule 😞. "Luckily" I won't be around this aft though I'll try and sneak a crafty look at my phone on odd occasions (just can't resist).

One "good" thing though is that I've ordered my Harrogate ticket and above all else I want to see us with double figure goals scored in that match (oh and a clean sheet).

A must win today I think to take the pressure off having to win at AFC W if we don't. 7 from the next 9 a decent haul and will keep us in touch

Loving the pitch mowed in radiating circles in the Tranmere video. Should bring that back.
All diy chores done and sufficiently wound up to have a good old shout this afternoon!
COYG!