SPAR Town v SPA Town | Page 5 | Vital Football

SPAR Town v SPA Town

Didn't think we could get much worse than that 1st half & thank f@ck it wasn't....only marginally tho. We literally had 7 yes 7 playing at the back with Matt Smith having to come passed the last line of defence to collect the ball.....it was dire. Yes SM made changes at half time but we were still pedestrian paced attempting to go forward. We play like a team of strangers for majority of games & offer little if any threat to the opposition who must love it watching our sideways, sideways, sideways hoof.
If we play like we did tonight against Bolton on Tuesday then I think it'll be a reverse 4 nil score ending their losing streak against us.

Not a chance Cheltenham will go down...they high press and rarely lose a 2nd ball. In contrast we sit way way way way too deep and invite them on. Invite Bolton on like that and we lose by 3 or 4. What is the manager telling them FFS.
How many times have we said this Season, we are that far back the players might as well sit in the stands, we are playing at Home and look like we are playing Brazil, if you defend that far back even Ashton Town would give us a game.

How many times have we said this Season, we are that far back the players might as well sit in the stands, we are playing at Home and look like we are playing Brazil, if you defend that far back even Ashton Town would give us a game.

Cheltenham were shite but we made them look good, much like we have with alot of teams that have visited the DW......as much as I like SM, he is wearing very thin on the eye & despite the subs tonight HE lost us the game in the 1st half with the set up.....unbelievably we had 7 at the back, who the f@ck were we playing Chelsea or bloody Cheltenham

One of Danson's rare appearances tonight with the Rugby Preseason Spectacular in town.

He'll have been witness to empty seats (even more than usual), halftime boos, football slower than his CEO search and what must've been the seventh or eight abject home performance in a row.

Plenty for him to ponder no doubt and maybe a 'must try harder' scribbled down on Maloney's report card.

Absolutely shocking first half, although Adeeko put in the best hide and seek performance I've ever seen. Matt Smith had far too much of the ball in all the wrong places. We seem to be far happier taking defensive risks than ones in the attacking half. Godo was happy to let the full backs run the line rather than offer any threat himself, and to be fair to them they successfully crowded Thelo out of the game. Jonny Smith did look a threat though.
Second half much better. McManaman brings that fight and spark to proceedings. If anything Humphrys being on restricted his space.
What I don't understand is that Thelo put in 2 very threatening corners and Godo 1, then suddenly when Godo is about to whip in another Humphreys decides to take over and floats it to the first man!
That was a game there for the taking and frustrating to only come away with 1 point

Good subs from Maloney at HT that had an impact. Glad to see the clear indication from him that the first half performance wouldn’t be tolerated. The sooner Tom Pearce for one fucks off, the better.

To be honest, we were lucky to get a point. Clarke is a good manager and had them set up well, they never looked troubled by us all game and we wouldn’t have scored off our own accord if we played all weekend. Huge slice of luck for the goal.

I'm sure I must watch a different game to some on here. Don't get me wrong ... I'm not saying we played well tonight (first half especially) but "7 at the back"?! When we had the ball it was 3, but those in front just didn't find space ... either that, or we made poor passes to their players ... and apparently, both of those are down to the manager.

Of course the manager makes the selections, but he cant then be responsible for every pass they make ... or rather, don't make.

What the manager absolutely IS responsible for is the pace of the game. He's obviously told them to be patient, protect the ball, and work it around to find the opening. In the first half, we did this far too slowly, but the second half saw a marked improvement ... partially due to Thelo dropping a little deeper, picking it up earlier and far more frequently, and more or less becoming the playmaker we all want him to be.

We made some decent chances, and should really have won with Jonny Smith's late chance ... but, we didn't, and like I said earlier in the thread, a draw isn't disastrous ... regardless of what some might have us believe.

EDIT - Forgot to say ... well played Luke Chambers great game.

I'm sure I must watch a different game to some on here. Don't get me wrong ... I'm not saying we played well tonight (first half especially) but "7 at the back"?! When we had the ball it was 3, but those in front just didn't find space ... either that, or we made poor passes to their players ... and apparently, both of those are down to the manager.

Of course the manager makes the selections, but he cant then be responsible for every pass they make ... or rather, don't make.

What the manager absolutely IS responsible for is the pace of the game. He's obviously told them to be patient, protect the ball, and work it around to find the opening. In the first half, we did this far too slowly, but the second half saw a marked improvement ... partially due to Thelo dropping a little deeper, picking it up earlier and far more frequently, and more or less becoming the playmaker we all want him to be.

We made some decent chances, and should really have won with Jonny Smith's late chance ... but, we didn't, and like I said earlier in the thread, a draw isn't disastrous ... regardless of what some might have us believe.

EDIT - Forgot to say ... well played Luke Chambers great game.
Don't know about watching a different game, I reckon you're on a different planet.

Lay off the Deludamol mate.

It isn't the result that they are saying is a disaster nor the performance - its the entertainment value from both teams.

Tonight was just shit, absolutely shit to sit there and watch once again.
Cheltenham like other recent teams are as much to blame with their own dull tactics.

I'm afraid I'm falling out of love with the game.

Strange how we had two wingers in Smith and Godo and a wing back in Pearce starting yet it's hard to remember any crosses coming in.
Pearce himself is a left back and so is Chambers.
Terrible selection and not forced but chosen by the master tactician himself. However he still consistently plays the same boring bilge.

We’re do we start with that crap.
Good points.
1 nice bloke
2 crossed a ball and scored a memorable goal.
3 cheap as chips. 2nd choice after being sacked
Clearly bad points that need addressing soon
1 passing backwards and sideways will never work in league one
2 tactics for playing at home awful.
3 now turning good players Into crap players.
4 Charlie Hughes going backwards.
5 Matt Smith going backwards. Not the same player. To deep
6 pissed Humphrey’s off
7 pissed Wyke off.
8 Godo. Gone backwards
9 Watts disappeared
10 Morrison must be pissed off. One of the seasons better players

It isn't the result that they are saying is a disaster nor the performance - its the entertainment value from both teams.

Tonight was just shit, absolutely shit to sit there and watch once again.
Cheltenham like other recent teams are as much to blame with their own dull tactics.

I'm afraid I'm falling out of love with the game.
First half I agree Sid. Second half, we were better ... not always a lot, but we looked more of a threat and made some decent chances.