The Grim vs the Grecians | Page 10 | Vital Football

The Grim vs the Grecians

• Thread starter removed at members request
  • Start date
Who is he going to bring in next season. With f,,,,k all,to spend
Well we will definitely need seven in because it looks like seven players are free to leave
Including macca humps
So next year with lack off any funding from above
Way things are looking
And possible sale of tickle Hughes and maybe theo
Next season might be absolute shyte
Worrying time for us tic fans

Did you not read the other part of my post. He has his hands tied behind his back at the moment, but has done his best trying to bring in some players who can adapt to his style & methods. Next season when the embargo is lifted, he will be able to bring in more players who are fast, quick & can play to the style. Then we'll see better football.

For the moment we are stuck with certain players we can't shift until the end of this season. You'll know the players I'm referring too.

But Jeff, the days of lumping it to Peter Houghton have long gone I'm afraid.
Who said anything about lumping? It seems that the opinion of anybody who doesn't favour a possession passing game that's so rigid are deemed to favour lumping it up. That is so off course. We don't, we just want to see football with a mixture of styles. Would we describe Jeff Wright or Glen Hoddle of playing lump ball? No skilled players at playing a long ball. What is so wrong about passing forward or putting free kicks in to the box. What is wrong with defenders getting rid of the ball to mid fielders with movement? Nothing exciting about what we do.

:arrghh:

So, let's have a think shall we ...

Generally considered shite (or at best, "meh":
Clare, Watts,

Generally considered a decent signing:
Morrison, Goode (may need his own category, as some seem to have flipped, shock horror !) Chambers, M Smith, J Smith, Shaw, Sessegnon, Godo, McManaman, Kelman (too soon maybe).

Whinging is far easier than being reasonable, but let's take the easy road eh?
Been told kelman signed new contract at qpr
Plus wage bill to be reduced to pay no more than 5k so can't see new contracts for the seven free to walk in the summer
Unless they take a pay cut under this lot

Its not easy having a go and whinging about the club you love Ant.
All any of us want is a bit of entertainment on a Saturday, and a less stubborn manager whose boring style doesn't work at this level.
We are 30 games in and we are not getting any better at it. It is shit, boring, negative football that the players even appear to dislike. Fucking change it Maloney, it isn't working.
Can anyone actually admit they enjoy the goalie rolling it out to shit scared defenders who continually pass it across the 18 yard box until one of them gets frustrated and lumps out of play or to the foot of the opposition.
Does anybody love getting free kicks in the opposition half and passing it sideways and ultimately back to our goalie.
Do we love the constant throw-ins in the attacking half constantly being thrown back to the half way line and again back to our keeper.
Do we all love the short corners that again end up being pressed back to the halfway line and back to our keeper.
The players look petrified playing how he tells them, and on the occasions he drops the style and allows the players to play football how it should be played, they look far happier and we look a lot better.
Dump the shit style or dump the Manager and things will improve.

Its not easy having a go and whinging about the club you love Ant.
All any of us want is a bit of entertainment on a Saturday, and a less stubborn manager whose boring style doesn't work at this level.
We are 30 games in and we are not getting any better at it. It is shit, boring, negative football that the players even appear to dislike. Fucking change it Maloney, it isn't working.
Can anyone actually admit they enjoy the goalie rolling it out to shit scared defenders who continually pass it across the 18 yard box until one of them gets frustrated and lumps out of play or to the foot of the opposition.
Does anybody love getting free kicks in the opposition half and passing it sideways and ultimately back to our goalie.
Do we love the constant throw-ins in the attacking half constantly being thrown back to the half way line and again back to our keeper.
Do we all love the short corners that again end up being pressed back to the halfway line and back to our keeper.
The players look petrified playing how he tells them, and on the occasions he drops the style and allows the players to play football how it should be played, they look far happier and we look a lot better.
Dump the shit style or dump the Manager and things will improve.
Totally agree with that spot on
Yesterday when humps came on he really looked disinterested as in other games
Could it be he knows no new contract coming for him
So why be arsed

So why be arsed

Few of lads said the same about Humphreys wen he came on, I hadn't taken much notice but wen they said it I watched him a bit closer & he did appear to just amble around disinterested & lacking his usual up n at em style. One of the lads just said...'is he taking the piss' which tbf it did look like he was sticking up two fingers to us all & just going through the motions. Shame really cos on his day he's quality in this league.

Stick Humphrys and Magennis in the U23s for the rest of the season, if they can't be arsed fuck em!

Having a pop at the fans in the West stand shows Maloney is under pressure only got himself to blame.

Good on the WS lads voicing their opinion, this dross is getting ridiculous, shape up or ship out Maloney.

Few of lads said the same about Humphreys wen he came on, I hadn't taken much notice but wen they said it I watched him a bit closer & he did appear to just amble around disinterested & lacking his usual up n at em style. One of the lads just said...'is he taking the piss' which tbf it did look like he was sticking up two fingers to us all & just going through the motions. Shame really cos on his day he's quality in this league.

just look at him from 1.19 til the pass for the tap in. look as his reacteon. i mite be rong but this culd be him seying look what i can do if you let me pley - sean.

At one stage, late on, he was ambling about on the halfway line on the left side of the back three, with Maloney just stood there in the technical area letting it happen.
As you know I sit in the East directly opposite Maloneys dugout, I commented a few times yesterday that he stood there like a waxworks dummy with hands in pockets.

No instructions or remonstrating, zero leadership, he just reminds me of Warren Joyce and we know how that ended, we just need the clubs hierarchy to get down to games to watch the shit us fans have to endure on a regular basis.

So why be arsed
Because he's a bleedin professional paid to give his all for the next 6 months. Discarding what that says about his attitude to future potential employers, whilst here he owes his best to his current one's- if not morally then certainly contractually.
Sorry Bicky, that sounded like a rant at you and your post, which it wasn't. I'm also not aware of if there is anymore to Humphreys (injuries etc), but as a general rule players should play the contract they're in, not look at the next one

I think the cause of the frustration is there are just things we do that are blatently counter intuitive and we keep doing them and not learning.

A great example is set pieces - the only teams who've scored more than our 12 are 4 promotion chasers; Portsmouth, Derby, Peterborough and Stevenage. They only have 3 more than us and we've had 2 corner goals wrongly disallowed recently.

When you look at the crossing stats those 4 sides are unsurprisingly the top 4 crosses per game in the league but we are 13th for getting crosses in. With them averaging as many as 8 more per game.

So we are disproportionately scoring from set pieces compared to how many balls we put in the box per game. It would suggest we possibly score a higher number of crosses put in from set pieces than anyone else.

Yet when we get a free kick in the opposition half or a corner it is taken quickly or short probably half of the time. We are clearly effective from set pieces when we put the ball in, we haven't scored (m)any from short ones and we often fail to even get a ball in from them, so why aren't we getting the ball in the box every time and making the most of our strength?

If we put more set piece directly in the box there is a good chance we'd have scored more goals and maybe have the most set piece goals in the league.

Going short so often rather than getting the ball in doesn't help us at all and makes it easier for the opposition to defend against.

There are a few other things like that and it's very frustrating we aren't just doing the most obvious thing.

I think the cause of the frustration is there are just things we do that are blatently counter intuitive and we keep doing them and not learning.

A great example is set pieces - the only teams who've scored more than our 12 are 4 promotion chasers; Portsmouth, Derby, Peterborough and Stevenage. They only have 3 more than us and we've had 2 corner goals wrongly disallowed recently.

When you look at the crossing stats those 4 sides are unsurprisingly the top 4 crosses per game in the league but we are 13th for getting crosses in. With them averaging as many as 8 more per game.

So we are disproportionately scoring from set pieces compared to how many balls we put in the box per game. It would suggest we possibly score a higher number of crosses put in from set pieces than anyone else.

Yet when we get a free kick in the opposition half or a corner it is taken quickly or short probably half of the time. We are clearly effective from set pieces when we put the ball in, we haven't scored (m)any from short ones and we often fail to even get a ball in from them, so why aren't we getting the ball in the box every time and making the most of our strength?

If we put more set piece directly in the box there is a good chance we'd have scored more goals and maybe have the most set piece goals in the league.

Going short so often rather than getting the ball in doesn't help us at all and makes it easier for the opposition to defend against.

There are a few other things like that and it's very frustrating we aren't just doing the most obvious thing.

Yep, short corners invariably end up going wider away from the box & usually ends up with a rushed, less controlled cross into the box....similarly with quick free kicks taken which more often than not end up going backwards. As to our throw ins....just a waste of time, we're either closed down / marked up before we attempt a short throw to nearest player who in turn gives it back to the thrower who hacks it away. Surely we should be practicing this sort of stuff day in day out....instead it's more like groundhog day 🤔

Yep, short corners invariably end up going wider away from the box & usually ends up with a rushed, less controlled cross into the box....similarly with quick free kicks taken which more often than not end up going backwards. As to our throw ins....just a waste of time, we're either closed down / marked up before we attempt a short throw to nearest player who in turn gives it back to the thrower who hacks it away. Surely we should be practicing this sort of stuff day in day out....instead it's more like groundhog day 🤔

Unfortunately I think most of the time is spent on the choreographed sideways/backwards regime than practicing owt else

I think some of you get carried away. Absolutely there were times yesterday when we did it extremely poorly, but there were also times when we did it brilliantly.

It's not a difficult concept to grasp ... make spaces appear by drawing their defenders/coverers/markers/pressers out of position. Matt Smith takes an awful lot pf pressure off the central defenders when he plays, but unfortunately, neither Scott Smith nor Adeeko seemed up for it, meaning it was then up to the wingers to find the space.

Godo kept tucking inside, (and Clare didn't overlap him) meaning no out ball to the right, but we saw when Jonny Smith came on, he had 3 or 4 superb balls knocked through to him. Normally, Jones is also excellent at creating the same space on the left, but didn't seem to quite do it so much yesterday.

However many steps forward we made at Peterborough, we made at least as many backwards in yesterday's first half, but if we keep on with an on/off, excellent/shite rate in the coming weeks, we'll be safe by early March.

Looking forward to being safe, but I am looking more forward for this shite season to be over with.
I know points wise we will have done okay but football wise it ranks as one of the worst seasons I have ever witnessed for entertainment.
The shite Maloney has made us suffer this season has at least made Bobbys crap look a bit more bearable.
Lets get this season out of the way, and hope Maloney either changes his tactics or fucks off and lets some other poor bastards suffer his shite football.

Did anyone in the east hear what was being said between Johnny smith and humps just after smith had a go at the ref when he was taken out? Something was said and it kept being niggled at with smith ignoring him and not passing directly to him.

As for the performance let's be honest another day it could have been 2-1 the other way. We are feeling being short in midfield. That said kelman looked exactly what we've needed all season and I'd be getting scotty smith a new contract ASAP.

and there we have it jock. look at the vareateons we have with a corner.
left footer (from rite) curling into keepers line - and oposite on other side.
drop into short box
long into box
into center of box
wide out to edge of box
driven into box
one thing i noticed about them is that they set up in zonal defense and i honestly think that nobody saw this for its worth. well sean didnt. the rite ball in culd of undone them. but no. we had to just fanny around. again.

and there we have it jock. look at the vareateons we have with a corner.
left footer (from rite) curling into keepers line - and oposite on other side.
drop into short box
long into box
into center of box
wide out to edge of box
driven into box
one thing i noticed about them is that they set up in zonal defense and i honestly think that nobody saw this for its worth. well sean didnt. the rite ball in culd of undone them. but no. we had to just fanny around. again.

TBH Brick I noticed the zonal set up but one corner in the second half just about summed us up.

The sun was directly in the keepers eyes and the ball should have been dropped on his head but what did we do, hit it long and wasted an opportunity.

I think some of you get carried away. Absolutely there were times yesterday when we did it extremely poorly, but there were also times when we did it brilliantly.

It's not a difficult concept to grasp ... make spaces appear by drawing their defenders/coverers/markers/pressers out of position. Matt Smith takes an awful lot pf pressure off the central defenders when he plays, but unfortunately, neither Scott Smith nor Adeeko seemed up for it, meaning it was then up to the wingers to find the space.

Godo kept tucking inside, (and Clare didn't overlap him) meaning no out ball to the right, but we saw when Jonny Smith came on, he had 3 or 4 superb balls knocked through to him. Normally, Jones is also excellent at creating the same space on the left, but didn't seem to quite do it so much yesterday.

However many steps forward we made at Peterborough, we made at least as many backwards in yesterday's first half, but if we keep on with an on/off, excellent/shite rate in the coming weeks, we'll be safe by early March.
I agree with some parts of what you say, but Godo as you know was playing in the right of 3 role were J Smith played RWB, and it was noticeable that Smith was constantly getting into the wide right position when he came on which was NOT happening with Clare, and therefore created the space for the pass to happen from Midfield or Charlie as previously mentioned... this was not happening before the subs.

1st Goal came from J Smith pass from that exact position? and corners from the right ALL went in the box ? with Chris Sze heading wide from his corner so others mentioning short corners must have been referring to the 1st half ?
Caldwell brought on another left back to double up on J.Smith/Humphrys as the game had turned.
Can we field a team that includes both Martial & J Smith ?? If so what's the positional proposition? Godo has gone off the boil a bit recently? Is it time to switch Godo with J Smith and give him the deserved game time ?

The other point ... I could not see the benefit of Chris Sze coming on instead of Humphrys ?? Surely in that role Humphrys was the better option ?

Tactically, I got really confused by the choices and style so maybe someone can explain that to me ...

Anyway I think the game posed more questions to me than answers so looking to see what Team is selected for Tuesday...??