The FA Cup Thread | Page 209 | Vital Football

The FA Cup Thread

Since Konsa went off at Sheffield our defence and been battered, only VAR and Martinez saved us from conceding a couple to SU, we just carried it on at Villa Park. I'm now not so sure we backed off at Sheffield or missing Ezri is that game-changing. Ferk all gets past him and I'm sure Chelsea first two wouldn't have either
Hopefully we’ll have a fit Konsa and Pau for the last 10 league games or so, and latter stages of the conference league. Together they are clearly our best central defenders, and getting them back may prove to be the difference between finishing in the top 4 or not.

Last edited:
Unai was bang up for it in the press conference. Tore a strip off a reporter who asked if he was prioritising 4th place over the cup.

Nothing to see there.
I’m just waiting for the press to trot out how he failed at Arsenal and is it happening again - financially the league position is huge along with finishing 5th and higher. There is no need to prioritise over any of the cups, it’s the holy grail both financially and to attract better players.

Since Konsa went off at Sheffield our defence and been battered, only VAR and Martinez saved us from conceding a couple to SU, we just carried it on at Villa Park. I'm now not so sure we backed off at Sheffield or missing Ezri is that game-changing. Ferk all gets past him and I'm sure Chelsea first two wouldn't have either
altho he was there for the battering against the barcodes - think the midfield is getting away with not being at the races at all.
chelsea are poor still really but were able to stroll though with barely a challenge to see if they could create something.

bit of a rethink or refocus needed

I did think nothing to see with the free kick - you ain’t getting past Martinez. Then……. Supposed it had to happen at some stage, a bit like our home form and wins on the bounce.

If you stop our midfield as Newcastle and Chelsea did then we are struggling. The defenders and the full backs seem to have few options hence why Moreno and Cash have to turn inside and play it back a lot. We were resorting to Carlos's long diagonals which come off once every 10 times or so.

We need ball carriers to take players out of the game and beat the press and the only midfielder we have who can really do that is JJ. I think Pau will help massively as well because he can spot passes no one else can.

I think the players are physically and mentally fatigued. They've already played a lot of games and there's many more to play. This is what separates to top teams who have the experience and crucially, resources to manage a heavy workload.

Our squad is as good as it has been in a long time but it's still not good enough to effectively managed a top four challenge and three cup competitions. Then when you factor in the horrific injuries we have had it gets even more difficult.
said this a few weeks ago, the players look totally drained . That was shot down by some.
Said at the outset last year competing in Europe will be a big drain on the domestic front and something will give. Hence the rotations required for the Conference. Hopefully we will have lots of players back for when the Thursday games resume

Last night we put out, what many would say,was our best available starting XI, playing in what is perceived as their best positions. What can never be taken into account is so many of said XI playing so poorly all at the same time. Usually it could be one or two but not on this scale.
Who knows what the reason is for this, maybe one eye on Sundays United game? But I'm pretty sure Unai will only be taking his " one game at a time " mantra and in no way denigrated the FA Cup.
It was a poor showing all round, which is galling when we know what we're capable of at our best but Chelsea had a point to prove last night after their last couple of games and they certainly did that.
Massive reaction needed Sunday

I haven't heard the interview - but hope your interpretation isn't correct. Choosing which games to turn it on and off rarely works imo

You should try to win every game.
He definitely down played the FA Cup and said the Prem was the priority. Sometimes his English can be a bit lost in translation though but he was also talking about how you would treat a semi final for example differently to last night whereas the league EVERY game is important.

If you stop our midfield as Newcastle and Chelsea did then we are struggling. The defenders and the full backs seem to have few options hence why Moreno and Cash have to turn inside and play it back a lot. We were resorting to Carlos's long diagonals which come off once every 10 times or so.

We need ball carriers to take players out of the game and beat the press and the only midfielder we have who can really do that is JJ. I think Pau will help massively as well because he can spot passes no one else can.
I would be tempted to start JJ on Sunday for the reasons you talk about. Is it too soon to throw Torres straight in, and who would he replace?

said this a few weeks ago, the players look totally drained . That was shot down by some.
Said at the outset last year competing in Europe will be a big drain on the domestic front and something will give. Hence the rotations required for the Conference. Hopefully we will have lots of players back for when the Thursday games resume
Im not sure if i agree about the totally drained part mate. We rotated in europe and the last game was a needless game that we put any energy in.

We also had a break xmas which we havent had. I think if it was a major issue we would be using some more kids/ or signed more players. I mean we certainly wouldnt be signing a rb and lb then loan them out again.

I think its just poor preparation and the way we are playing. The slow passing in our own half is just terrible to watch. Also esp in the last two home games unais made some poor decisions. Going in 2nd half with same team after a terrible 1st half. We all knew chelsea would score if we went same 11 and he learned nothing from newcastle defeat. Its time for plan b as plan a isnt working anymore. Unais elite he will get us out of this, that i have no doubt

He definitely down played the FA Cup and said the Prem was the priority. Sometimes his English can be a bit lost in translation though but he was also talking about how you would treat a semi final for example differently to last night whereas the league EVERY game is important.
£££££££££££££££££££££££,Silhill.