Match Thread: Lincoln City v Peterborough United | Page 12 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Peterborough United

I would rather play Derby at home than Burton away to be fair. However,I'm feeling optimistic for the first time in a long time. I am not naive but I see progress, I see change .You wait for the next defeat and take your pound of flesh .
12th in the 3rd Tier, 8 points from safety with 15 more required is more than satisfactory.

That’s realistically as good as it’s going to get given the size of the club, so no pound of flesh will be taken.

That said the jury is still out for me on the appointment of MS. He comes across as a likeable chap, but you’d expect that from a University Teacher wouldn’t you?

I don't think they'll be to worried Chimp.
Our defence has been brilliant in both games but they had managed to score 104 goals between them in the previous 28/29 games.
Of course they won't ...just like I am not worried we haven't scored in the last 2 games.

We have created more than the opposition in both matches.

It was whilst they were available, even I’ve conceded that flame has finally been extinguished and they’re never coming back …. but we’ll rue missing the chance too.

The ‘pure’ treble winners and greatest British football team you’ve ever seen in your lifetime have nothing to do with this conversation.
That would be the same powder blue team that achieved almost fuck all in recent memory till the obscene amount of oil money arrived in 2008. The same club that faces 115 ish charges of financial irregularities, which if proven simply means they cheated.
Have the football authorities got the balls to demote them like Rangers, if found guilty .... not a chance.

That would be the same powder blue team that achieved almost fuck all in recent memory till the obscene amount of oil money arrived in 2008. The same club that faces 115 ish charges of financial irregularities, which if proven simply means they cheated.
Have the football authorities got the balls to demote them like Rangers, if found guilty .... not a chance.
Have to point the finger at Ferguson and Man Utd for their attempt to gerrymander all of the cash, best players, and trophies.
Tickles me watching Chelsea and now city taking their sweets off them. I’m hoping Newcastle will kill them off completely but they are up against Man Utd rules despite no way they will ever go bust.

They are now using that obscene amount of money to hire every top legal expert they can find worldwide to delay proceedings as long as possible, presumably hoping the football authorities will give up their attempt to prove the charges.

Last edited:
Of course they won't ...just like I am not worried we haven't scored in the last 2 games.

We have created more than the opposition in both matches.

I'm not that worried we didn't score against Derby and Posh all circumstances considered but we do have to start scoring goals to be competitive in football matches.

I think we have only scored 4 goals in 10 matches since beating Camebridge away 3-0 so it doesn't take a genius to work out the problems we have had creating goalscoring opportunities and putting them in the back of the net.

Hopefully on Saturday we can start to put that right.

12th in the 3rd Tier, 8 points from safety with 15 more required is more than satisfactory.

That’s realistically as good as it’s going to get given the size of the club, so no pound of flesh will be taken.

That said the jury is still out for me on the appointment of MS. He comes across as a likeable chap, but you’d expect that from a University Teacher wouldn’t you?
You might also expect him to be smarter than a school teacher 😉

Hopefully he can win you over .We have a decent record of return when Teachers manage our Club

Perhaps so....but then Derby and Peterborough will be slightly worried their strikers hardly got a kick in their last match at Sincil Bank.

According to Peterborough media, it was down them playing below their usual standard. Nothing to do with the performance of team they were playing against. The thinking being, they didn't win, therefore they must have been below par.
It's great when the regulation win they were expecting doesn't materialise.

If only there weren't 11 buggers trying to stop you scoring every game, no team would ever play below their usual standard.

They are now using that obscene amount of money to hire every top legal expert they can find worldwide to delay proceedings as long as possible, presumably hoping the football authorities will give up their attempt to prove the charges.

It worked for the Post Office. (For a while)

As they say, just follow the money.

being qualified teachers puts them both at an advantage in getting a message across. a benefit over someone like deeney for instance.

Exactly. Good clear communication is so vital nowadays - far more so than top level playing experience.

At our level there are a surprising number of ex teachers at the head coach level with no top class playing career.

Its possibly a disadvantage at EPL level where the players have little respect for anyone who has not played at their level, but lower down where many players have a lower skills level, a schoolteacher way of getting instructions across via the clear communication they have learnt as teachers can well be a positive advantage.

From the local P'boro paper, just wow:

2) It’s tempting to say the blueprint to stifle Posh has been laid out by Lincoln. Set up on as narrow a pitch as possible, defend deep and in numbers, hump the ball forward and try and catch a much more talented team playing out from the back. It’s a pretty negative approach, but with better forward players Lincoln might have won this game. Posh have been receiving well deserved accolades from the football world for the attractiveness of their football this season, but high praise has spooked some teams into playing for a draw, even at home. The roar from the home fans that greeted a ninth League One game without a win at the final whistle was one you’d more readily associate with a big win in the FA Cup.

2) It’s tempting to say the blueprint to stifle Posh has been laid out by Lincoln. Set up on as narrow a pitch as possible, defend deep and in numbers, hump the ball forward and try and catch a much more talented team playing out from the back. It’s a pretty negative approach, but with better forward players Lincoln might have won this game. Posh have been receiving well deserved accolades from the football world for the attractiveness of their football this season, but high praise has spooked some teams into playing for a draw, even at home. The roar from the home fans that greeted a ninth League One game without a win at the final whistle was one you’d more readily associate with a big win in the FA Cup.
Ha ha ha - a team we should have easily beaten sussed us out and should have beaten us - their fans were brilliant and applauded them at the end for their sterling performance - we and our fans could learn a lot from them

The club is deluded, the fans are deluded, and now the local media has caught the disease too. Local media is partisan nowadays, but that is the work of a gold-plated pillock.

So the all brilliant Ferguson couldn't sort his team out to bear City's tactics. His old man was in the ground, he should have had a word!.