The January Transfer Thread | Page 69 | Vital Football

The January Transfer Thread

Worst thing we could do is spunk money unnecessarily on January duds given where we are. The rumoured signings this window of younger players to develop is an interesting and actually a sensible approach.

Unai has intimated we won’t do much major business anyway. And if that scuppers the top 4 finish for ultimate longer gain and security than with the genius in charge I’m totally comfortable with that at this stage.

Depends on how you spin stats, Some will say he's only scored 2 goals in 14 games and others will say he's scored 2 goals in 185 minutes the second figure working out to a goal a game.
One figure used to make him look bad and the other to make him look good but a blind man on a galloping horse can see he is a player for the near future.

Gotta love stats, eh?!

If we manage to get the lad from Boro, the young keeper to go along with our young right back and get the likes of Anderson and Hermoso on frees( even if it means waiting for them til the summer) then that would represent a good window imo. Minimum outlay with 2 players for the here and now and 3 for the not too distant future, jobs a good un though I only really know a bit about Anderson from his hammers days

Depends on how you spin stats, Some will say he's only scored 2 goals in 14 games and others will say he's scored 2 goals in 185 minutes the second figure working out to a goal a game.
One figure used to make him look bad and the other to make him look good but a blind man on a galloping horse can see he is a player for the near future.
I don't think most strikers are solely judged on goals these days.

His shooting and instinct in front of goal looks fantastic.

It's more his hold up play, football intelligence and petulance he needs to work on.

It's more his hold up play, football intelligence and petulance he needs to work on.

All things that will improve so long as he puts the work in. You can teach a big strong lad how to hold the ball up and lay it off. You can't really teach the stuff he's already instinctively good at.

All things that will improve so long as he puts the work in. You can teach a big strong lad how to hold the ball up and lay it off. You can't really teach the stuff he's already instinctively good at.
Indeed. Which is why I've consistantly said he's got potential and I'm not writing him off, but he's not ready yet.

I agree but we've managed with Watkins hold up play and he still couldn't hold up a bank with a 12 bore never mind hold up a football.
I think Duran being South American, touch will be a bit less robotic than Ollie once he gets his chance.

I agree but we've managed with Watkins hold up play and he still couldn't hold up a bank with a 12 bore never mind hold up a football.
I think Duran being South American, touch will be a bit less robotic than Ollie once he gets his chance.
Graham Taylor on Steve Bull, first touch he miscontrols, second touch, he puts it in the net. Ollie is a pain in the arse for defenders but yes l would prefer a Centre Forward with the finishing of Kane, the heading of John Charles and the left foot of Maradona. Answers on a postcard to -----.

Watkins hold up play is decent some games and abysmal others. Its adding consistency he needs
Any fans here got a Biology O level? Transplant Peter Withes left foot and cunning to Ollies work rate, game set and match. Watkins, in the round,is a top player and has improved season by season.

Blimey. Imagine if we were after this guy under previous managers. Shit would hit the fan. Refreshing that we trust the manager 100% and realise there is method and reason to this potential signing.

Weird isn't it? He could be linked with anyone, and with his record and win ratio for us, plus the good new style of play, I would just know he has a reason for wanting x player.

Yeah , but to be fair, most of the excitement is coming from the bizarre hatred of Duran and the desperation to get rid of him for some reason ( that reason being he is not Cameron Archer obviously) .

Yes, God forbid we develop these players to be ours when they reach their prime. It is shocking how fans (not just Villa, not just on vital!) can't see the process and even if they don't fulfil their potential, they still arent' shit.

Watched Dragons Den last night, Gary Neville was on there, a player who didn't make the step up from U23's to the full Tranmere Rovers side. The guy said something slightly negative about himself and Gary straight away said you only get about 2000 top line players, those that fall at the stage he 'fell' are not crap, failures, etc.

Some of the players I see being called crap makes me laugh and also makes me think, I wish I had been as crap as them at sport!